GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch Masters FX350 Review

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
JT has a point in that these industrial-based businesses (the clutch manufacturers) really don't know how to market their products. A huge part of that job is to inform your market what you make.

TBH I have a hard time discerning the differences between different clutches and what potential there is for different packages. FX100/300/350/400 or SBC Stage 2 daily/endurance, Stage 3 daily/endurance, Stage 3 disk etc... And I've had no help from their material to know what exactly the differences are. I want them to educate me technically. If it's over my head I'll know to call a sales engineer.

butchered by autocorrect

D Darko

Ready to race!
Bob- did you need to purchase anything else for your clutch that was not included in the kit? Thought I read somewhere that you have to buy the flywheel bolts or something that are not included.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Bob- did you need to purchase anything else for your clutch that was not included in the kit? Thought I read somewhere that you have to buy the flywheel bolts or something that are not included.

I forgot to mention that, I did have to purchase 8 flywheel bolts (about $30), I will update the first post tonight.

JT641

Banned
JT has a point in that these industrial-based businesses (the clutch manufacturers) really don't know how to market their products. A huge part of that job is to inform your market what you make.

TBH I have a hard time discerning the differences between different clutches and what potential there is for different packages. FX100/300/350/400 or SBC Stage 2 daily/endurance, Stage 3 daily/endurance, Stage 3 disk etc... And I've had no help from their material to know what exactly the differences are. I want them to educate me technically. If it's over my head I'll know to call a sales engineer.

butchered by autocorrect

This is true I know EBC brakes & Hawk explain the differences in there pad materials & what they're best uses are.

I do know that ceramic is best for road racing applications because it can with stand heat the best, Which why the clutch in the posche carrera GT was made of carbon ceramic.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Why not the FX200, 250, or 300 (for stage 2)?

I thought my clutch was going to slip earlier last year so I was shopping for a clutch before the FX350 was released. This is what Clay at CTS Turbo said regarding the other setups for a Stage II car (note that I do like to attend a couple of track sessions throughout the year and also take the car on backroads maybe once every other month):

CTS Turbo said:
If you have a stage 1 upgrade and a few bolt ons then I would suggest the FX300. If you were going with a turbo upgrade then I would suggest the FX400. The FX300 requires a longer break in period, my wife actually drives a FX300 in her daily driver. The installation should range from 4-6 hours depending on how experienced your technicians are. I drove a FX400 in our shop 2.0T for nearly 2 years with 450-500HP.

Which type of track do you attend, drag race or road course?

We had a car here with a stage 2 and a FX200, the clutch packed it in. I suggested to the client, who was actually a shop to get the FX300, but the shop didn't listen and they installed the FX200 in the car. The car had about 1 years worth of driving in stage 2 form, and it packed it in.

So, as mentioned I would suggest a FX300 or FX400 depending on your mods, future mods and driving style. I do know the FX300 is not recommended for road course use. If you do goto the road course I would recommend the FX400 with the full face ceramic setup. In our 2011 GTI we run the FX400 with a 6 puck and it is very tame, but has a much better bite. Our shop car has a big turbo in the future and it has a K04 in it now with all the bolt ons. The FX400 hasn't skipped a beat and we lend the car out regularly to customers

CTS Turbo said:
Stage 1 or stage 2 or stage 2+ power is not going to hold up over the long run with the FX100, or FX200. The FX300 tends to fail under road race conditions because the discs heat up and wear out quickly.

The pedal feel on a FX300 and FX400 is basically the same. I drive either a FX300 in our family B6 A4 wagon, or a FX400 in the MK6 GTI. If you're worried about power handling and drivability I would suggest a FX400 full face. The grab and feel is stiffer than stock for sure, but if my 120lb wife can drive a FX300 daily in traffic then you should have no issues with it.

If you plan on doing road course, autocross and an occasional drag event I would stick with the FX400 full face, or at least the FX300. If you go with the FX300 make sure your road course events aren't conducted over extended times.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
fx250 is rated 320 ft/lbs and that's right at stage 2 torque levels (315 ft lbs). It makes sense fx300 would give enough headroom to last daily driving.

Bender1

Banned
Ok I called Clutch Masters & basically what they said is the "8 puck FX 400" is NOT a true puck clutch design, From there description it sounds like it looks similar to the FX350? You mite want to read Bender"s thread for an explaination of how it works for him. http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43188&highlight=fx400 Personally after reading Bender's review & talking to clutch masters I leaning towards the FX400?.

Though I cannot comment on the 350 I can state that this is correct. The "8 puck" is indeed a full face.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
Ok so my first post was right, or at least the right idea. So now I question how different are the fx350 and 400 and what makes the fx400 full face hold more (I'm assuming just material?). If the 8 puck has that much less material I wonder if it will fail sooner than the real puck design

BIG FAT UNCLE PAULY

Ready to race!
.......So now I question how different are the fx350 and 400 and what makes the fx400 full face hold more (I'm assuming just material?).

FX350: the clutch disc is a mixture of Kevlar, ceramic, and organic material; FX400: the clutch disc is ceramic material.

Bruno2000

Ready to race!
I can't wait for your review; it could really be the perfect match for a stage2 and possibly be enough to hold a K04 for future upgrade!.