GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ford Focus ST vs Golf R. Video.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
135i would be sweet.

watched the vid... i still dont get the whole ECS thing or whatever. When I tracked my gTI, I'd turn the traction off and barely ever had the ESP or ECS , whatever the fuck it is, do anything. does all this talk and review ruining action of the traction in the R really that bad?!??! :confused:

and Ford hit a homerun with this car - being 10k less than a R, comparably priced to a GTI, but faster - it definitely makes a strong case for itself.

astro_zombies

Ready to race!
What a stupid comparison. Hey, let's pit a much more expensive and refined AWD hatch, ignore these things and then compare it to a cheaper focus? And then not to compare to a GTI, but throw in a RWD BRZ? Dumb

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Worst most bias comparison I've ever seen. First off the ST with Racaros like that and the gay as AIDs orange paint stickers for $29,900. Base R is more like $33,000 and is still loaded in comparison.

All it takes is coding to defeat ESC and if it hurts it so bad then why wouldn't they run laps in it? Yeah, because its faster than the ST hands down. The ST front end pushes and torque steers like a Ebay parts built '90s boosted Honda and looks and feels like a shit box Honda too.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
The recaros are better for fat ppl than the seats in the GTI/R.

The focus is cheap and plasticy inside.
Focus has a far better engine note and a softer more compliant ride. It also feels faster.

The R is better looking, and comes with AWD and a better interior.

Currently its also much harder to get a focus ST, since they sell at sticker.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I hated the ST when I drove it. A base GTI with just a stage 1 tune and nothing else would run circles around it. The ST is pretty much maxed out off the showroom floor so if you buy cars and never mod them its the car for you

I am debating on trading my gti for a rising blue R, which would get coils and stage 2+ the week I get it

HardCandy

Go Kart Champion
blahaha wtf kind of test comparo was that? permanent stability control makes the R not allowed to get on a track?

dip shit tester's, good luck with that brz "sports car" old man.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Currently its also much harder to get a focus ST, since they sell at sticker.

ah not really. i was at $1500 under msrp without even trying when i walked away. was $28570 list for a ST2 if i remember. So i was at $27,070 making it even more of a steal.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
ah not really. i was at $1500 under msrp without even trying when i walked away. was $28570 list for a ST2 if i remember. So i was at $27,070 making it even more of a steal.

Looks like I should give it another look.2012 or 2013?
the gti starting point is 3k off. So it sounds like the cars are roughly equally priced

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Looks like I should give it another look.2012 or 2013?
the gti starting point is 3k off. So it sounds like the cars are roughly equally priced

can't remember. i just looked thru my dozens of mails and can't find it. i know san leandro had a blue one, might have been them. another dealer somewhere near san jose area had 2 blue ones. but this was a couple months ago.

they were 2012's when i was looking.

serramonte ford has 2 yellow ones in stock. both ST2, but the msrp seems higher than i remember it.

san leandro ford has blue and a white 2013's for $28570 list.

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
From the reviews I've read, it really looks like Ford has swung for the fences on this one and succeeded. There will be a number of fanbois that jump on the FWD vs. AWD comparo, but if the ST performs the way they say they are, then I think its a safe comparison.

I'll have to test one out sometime.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
can't remember. i just looked thru my dozens of mails and can't find it. i know san leandro had a blue one, might have been them. another dealer somewhere near san jose area had 2 blue ones. but this was a couple months ago.

they were 2012's when i was looking.

serramonte ford has 2 yellow ones in stock. both ST2, but the msrp seems higher than i remember it.

san leandro ford has blue and a white 2013's for $28570 list.

Yea these things change fast.
About 4 months ago it was MSRP+
VW dealers were also running all 2012s at 5k off, interestingly enough they stopped that.