GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ford Focus ST vs Golf R. Video.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
ouch^

well, there is a big fanboi club of R guys on the tex, so yeah that makes sense, but yes, this subforum is pretty dead here. I think the R for $30K is a great deal, $38K, not so much.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I have done nothing but defend the R so far... not sure why the butthurtness.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
The R felt a lot quicker and nimbler than my GTI. I think pure "fun" it would win over GTI.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Lol Like you, my friend, just callin' it like i see it:thumbsup:

It's all good. Now, about that cream soda...

Edit: fuck that... This calls for a White Russian.

that's what the dude drinks...

Has nothing to do with anyone's opinion on the car. Everyone is entitled to that. And as I said before, I applaud your due dilligence:thumbsup:

:word:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
The R felt a lot quicker and nimbler than my GTI. I think pure "fun" it would win over GTI.

a heavier car felt nimbler? interesting....

A_Bowers

That's very strange.

Mine was totally the opposite. The R felt heavy, slow and oafish.

Got back into.the GTI and was immediately shocked at the difference.

GTI felt more nimble, and a ton more down low power. Boost in the R didn't come on strong until at least 3k. If not more.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Probably because it was stick shift. Easier to drive than the DSG. (More accurate)

would buy the ST in a heartbeat over the R after that video tho. it just looks so fun to drive, and sounds so much better too. (opinionated. Ford makes a damn good soundaktor.)

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
People calling the R, heavy and slow or blah blah blah?! Seriously? Its nearly the exact same weight as a GTI you're completely tripping.

Heavy compared to a MINI sure.

It felt the same as my 2 door TDI with no options, which weighs less than a comparable DSG Autobahn GTI.

The R is simply the best golf you can get, saying anything otherwise is just justifying that you own an inferior vehicle (if you have a GTI/TDI/Golf).

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
R MT = 3325 lbs.
GTI MT = 3113 lbs.
A3 Quattro= 3461 lbs.

Many can tell the difference of a couple hundred pounds in a back to back drive, some cannot.

Noize

Go Kart Champion
The R is simply the best golf you can get, saying anything otherwise is just justifying that you own an inferior vehicle (if you have a GTI/TDI/Golf).

I definitely agree with that. And the issues are nothing the aftermarket can't fix. Not so for the ST or GTI, especially when big mods pile on: You can't fix FWD. :)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
R = 3325 lbs.
GTI = 3113 lbs.

Many can tell the difference of a couple hundred pounds in a back to back drive, some cannot.

Sure but calling it "heavy" etc is just silly. Its like calling a 4 door Autobahn heavy compared to 2 door Manual base model. Its the same car ppl. Not like they pack em with lead all the sudden.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
yes, the Golf R is the best of the lineup - no one is disputing that. But the question that many have or pose, or "use against it", is the value / bang for your buck, and as in 2008, how it compares to others in the market segment.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Sure but calling it "heavy" etc is just silly. Its like calling a 4 door Autobahn heavy compared to 2 door Manual base model. Its the same car ppl. Not like they pack em with lead all the sudden.

I didn't call it heavy - I think i may have said its "heavier", which is true. the different here is the AWD systems and perhaps some of the interior cladding (for the audi)