GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ford Focus ST vs Golf R. Video.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
agreed, of course, just saying, its pretty capable though - esp considering it is FWD. I've driven an Elise, but not the S/C one.

Yes the GTi as well surprises alot of people. Perrenial top 10 car of the year for many good reasons. I hope to drive an R and the Mk7 GTI in the early summer!!

I had a fun test in the Scirocco R a few months ago. Another fun car that VWoA needs to get shipped over to the US. One can dream :)
Gun have you seen the new A3 sedan that is rumored to be built soon. Im going to Geneva in April to see it at the auto show there. Audi should be displaying it.

tuan209

Passed Driver's Ed
I agree with maxtdi on many points. I picked the Golf R because its a great daily driver. Ill never take this car to track. I also agree that at 37155 its a bit too much.

I got mine at a pretty good price and decent trade, so I cant complain.

I think anywhere from 3500-4500 off MSRP, the Golf R becomes reasonable.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I think anywhere from 3500-4500 off MSRP, the Golf R becomes reasonable.

+1 the heavy discounting on the car lately has been making it an attractive buy.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
If you wanted to track a FWD car, I wouldn't do a GTI, I'd do a Mini cooper S or JCW. They are worlds apart from the GTI/R. But that comes at the compromise of every day life... once again... balance. GTI does a lot of things really well, mini does too.
For ex it gets great MPG, and has a lot of front seat space, great visibility etc. But the ride is choppy, it has no back seat, etc etc.

There is no free lunch.

true on no free lunch. I tracked my GTI a bunch of times and had a blast, however. For the DD, of course the GTI wins that hands down. For the track, yes, the Mini S or JCW would be the better track car, no doubt.

Gun have you seen the new A3 sedan that is rumored to be built soon. Im going to Geneva in April to see it at the auto show there. Audi should be displaying it.

Yes, im hoping to see it here at the auto show as well.

+1 the heavy discounting on the car lately has been making it an attractive buy.

this^

TPsycho

Okay, what a dumb comparison. With traction control, plenty of people including real professionals have posted impressive race course times with the R. If you're on the track and setting off ESC constantly, you're driving incorrectly. Focus ST seems nice, but without AWD it poses the same problems that having FWD and a lot of power bring.

GTI vs Golf R. The Golf R is a better car....period. Whether the extra price of admission is worth it is a matter of personal preference. Not only was it worth it to me, but it was worth it to take the financial hit of trading in a 7 month old Autobahn GTI. Now that I'm at stage 1+ I'm so glad I didn't keep the GTI. With stock power I would light up the GTI's tires at a drop of a dime. Including some pretty spirited sessions, I've 'chirped' the tires on the R maybe twice.

And to end...

Car and Driver
The GTI, as good as it might be, hasn’t been able to keep up with the rally replicas
…the Golf R's lap is just off the STI’s and a meaningful 9.2 seconds faster than what a GTI
...Its brakes offer good, fade-free response and modulation, on par with the class-leading Evo’s...And, as with the GTI, the Golf R remains stable through the uphill esses as high-speed curb bumps barely affect its chassis….The Golf R nails all the subjective criteria that combine to make a great-driving car
…the addition of the rear drive axle balances the weight a tad better and that this is the best Golf chassis to date.

Motor Trend
…lightness aids in handling. Steering is just right: crisp and nicely weighted, but not maniacally fast.
...The steering ratio is quicker than that of the GTI, the suspension a smidge firmer, and the brakes a touch larger. It's quick and astoundingly neutral through turns at any speed that's sane for public roads, and exhibits none of the slight torque steer the GTI does.
...Around our figure-eight test, the Golf R also showed the GTI its backside, attaining lateral acceleration of 0.89 g and a figure-eight time of 26.5 seconds at an average 0.69 g.
…on paper, the R shows marginal improvements, but it will likely be quicker on race tracks and real roads than its "lesser" brethren.

Oh and how about probably the worst review out there
Ignition Magazine
...where the GTI is front drive, the Haldex system in this car is wonderful. It can send 100% of torque rear words, making the car a little bit more nimble then the GTI

Automobile Magazine
It would have been difficult for Volkswagen to screw up a souped-up, more powerful, all-wheel-drive version of the wonderful GTI, and VW certainly did not.
...The extra 50 hp and AWD system that the Golf R adds over the regular GTI makes the car both quick and confident.
...The only real improvements I noticed driving the R around town were its much meaner exhaust note and, more important, its lack of wheelspin on hard launches.

Top Gear
…the R feels fast. And you probably couldn't put this much power and torque into a front-wheel-drive Golf GTI and get away with it
...What you need to do with the R is drive it. A lot
…. wet roads. In these conditions, it would show a front-wheel-drive Golf GTI, or even a 300bhp Focus RS, a clean pair of heels.

His final take on the price difference of the GTI and Golf R
...I can do without a coffee and a cake eery day. I'll take the goddam R.

I joined these forums to discuss honest complaints and praises with fellow Golf R owners, yet it's littered with people who don't even own the friggin car and point out only the negatives. I still am not sure why I come back here :iono:

JhnR

Banned
That ST interior is awful....

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
^ never noticed you got a 5.0! how do you like it?

Haha, dude. Words cannot describe. :lol:

Also,

A Focus is thought of as superior to a Golf on a Golf Forum.

SAID NO ONE EVER.

:lol:

There needs to be a forum that's not biased to a single make/model, otherwise, all these comparos are pointless.

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Haha, dude. Words cannot describe. :lol:

Also,

A Focus is thought of as superior to a Golf on a Golf Forum.

SAID NO ONE EVER.

:lol:

There needs to be a forum that's not biased to a single make/model, otherwise, all these comparos are pointless.

Speak for yourself:paddle:

Missed that part?

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
Ok, here's my summary on the whole Focus ST v's Golf R thing.

Get an R!

I own an R and I'm biased, but I've also driven the new ST and it's downfall for me is....

I live in a country where it is wet half the time, cold most of the time and sunny on only odd occasions so grip is a key factor & a FWD ST simply comes second all the time when you look at the interior quality.

Give both cars an equal amount of tuning and the ST would spin away half of it's power gain trying to get traction - the R will simply walk away from the ST and be on the horizon before the ST knows what has happened.

Also over in the UK we get that strange option called DSG, which is basically the killer app. and although I have heard rumours that the ST may get a similar gearbox, I doubt it would be as good as the R's.

:)

Chef_R_Gamie

Ready to race!
Ok, here's my summary on the whole Focus ST v's Golf R thing.

Get an R!

I own an R and I'm biased, but I've also driven the new ST and it's downfall for me is....

I live in a country where it is wet half the time, cold most of the time and sunny on only odd occasions so grip is a key factor & a FWD ST simply comes second all the time when you look at the interior quality.

Give both cars an equal amount of tuning and the ST would spin away half of it's power gain trying to get traction - the R will simply walk away from the ST and be on the horizon before the ST knows what has happened.

Also over in the UK we get that strange option called DSG, which is basically the killer app. and although I have heard rumours that the ST may get a similar gearbox, I doubt it would be as good as the R's.

:)

Well said good sir!

2inTheMorning

Ready to race!
Hehe, I left a little comment... "That's odd because according to Motor Trend, the Golf R was faster than the BRZ around Laguna Seca. The result – drumroll, please – was a respectable 1:51.1, which is 0.2 quicker than the lap time for the Subaru BRZ."

HardCandy

Go Kart Champion
its a damn shame the state side R only gets the manual.

even more pathetic that the mk5 r32 had no manual option.