GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ford Focus ST vs Golf R. Video.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
No i agree with you I personally think it handles really well and I took it up to Palomar mountain area a couple days ago and it was amazing but it makes the negative ones feel better to take it off , and I think People are just waiting for some videos or proof of how much better it might be

The limitations of this car are not ESC, they are:
  • The softish suspension,
  • small 225 A/S tires
  • general suspension geometry
  • FWD bias

But those things are a compromise, they make it a great daily that is also fun to drive. If you wanted a track car it would be loud as shit, stiff as hell and squeak/rattle and break down constantly.

PPL just don't understand the purpose of this car. Its not a TRACK car or a RACE car. Its a great little all arounder with some pep.

This whole track thing is getting really old.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Probably because it was stick shift. Easier to drive than the DSG. (More accurate)

would buy the ST in a heartbeat over the R after that video tho. it just looks so fun to drive, and sounds so much better too. (opinionated. Ford makes a damn good soundaktor.)

Hate to say but the ST Sounds freaking good!

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I suppose I'll be one of those guys that comes from something way different.... Coming from my C5 I almost punched a hole through the floor of a golf when I first pushed it in. The travel is 50% shorter and the clutch is 300% lighter.

It's all relative. Not sure about the TDI or 2.5 Golf, but the mk6 GTI has to have the lightest clutch I've ever felt. The R, and maybe I should clarify, my R (bc I haven't driven another one), is at least 50% heavier than mk6 GTI

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
It's all relative. Not sure about the TDI or 2.5 Golf, but the mk6 GTI has to have the lightest clutch I've ever felt. The R, and maybe I should clarify, my R (bc I haven't driven another one), is at least 50% heavier than mk6 GTI

Did you ever drive a Civic SI? Talk about feather light.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
:laugh:

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
I am not the biggest fan of the R for the price, honestly think VW sold all the enthuasist way short on this one...

But given the choice between one or the other, my ass would be walking towards the R for all around no doubt

infanterene

Passed Driver's Ed
I test drove the ST before buying my GTI. The ST feels as fast as my GTI with stg 1 tune. The steering is alot quicker than the GTi and I wish my GTI steered like that. The car was very fun to drive.

The ST looks bigger outside but feels much smaller inside, I was uncomfortable. The hatch area is more practical in the GTI. The back seats have more room in the GTI and the GTI also has more head room. The GTI interior is in another league, ST feels super cheap. The ST I drove also rattled a little. I would have to change the ST wheels because I really dont like them.

I figured the ST was over $5000 more than the GTI. With $5000 I can make the GTI perform better than the ST and customize it to my taste.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
  • small 225 A/S tires
  • FWD bias

But those things are a compromise, they make it a great daily that is also fun to drive. If you wanted a track car it would be loud as shit, stiff as hell and squeak/rattle and break down constantly.

PPL just don't understand the purpose of this car. Its not a TRACK car or a RACE car. Its a great little all arounder with some pep.

+1 and well said. Want a nimble track car get an Elise.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
  • small 225 A/S tires
  • FWD bias

I have no issues with the FWD bias on the track, and I believe my car has the same exact haldex system. tires can be fixed.

Track thing - well, hate to break it to you, but the last two R32's were on tracks quite often, so that's where that comes from. But yes, if you don't need a track car, then it shouldn't be a consideration with regard to ANY of the things you mentioned above... bias, tires, etc - if only on the street, that stuff means nothing.

+1 and well said. Want a nimble track car get an Elise.

the GTI is pretty nimble on the track ;)

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
I have no issues with the FWD bias on the track, and I believe my car has the same exact haldex system. tires can be fixed.

Track thing - well, hate to break it to you, but the last two R32's were on tracks quite often, so that's where that comes from. But yes, if you don't need a track car, then it shouldn't be a consideration with regard to ANY of the things you mentioned above... bias, tires, etc - if only on the street, that stuff means nothing.

the GTI is pretty nimble on the track ;)

Love my GTI. A supercharged Elise will open your eyes. Max is correct though a GTI does most things well. Its certainly a fun car on the track. By design it is not a track car and many people dont appear to grasp that.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
agreed, of course, just saying, its pretty capable though - esp considering it is FWD. I've driven an Elise, but not the S/C one.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
agreed, of course, just saying, its pretty capable though - esp considering it is FWD. I've driven an Elise, but not the S/C one.

If you wanted to track a FWD car, I wouldn't do a GTI, I'd do a Mini cooper S or JCW. They are worlds apart from the GTI/R. But that comes at the compromise of every day life... once again... balance. GTI does a lot of things really well, mini does too.
For ex it gets great MPG, and has a lot of front seat space, great visibility etc. But the ride is choppy, it has no back seat, etc etc.

There is no free lunch.