GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Group Buy: Depo R LED Taillights

Status
Not open for further replies.

deaconblue

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone code theirs? I have a 2013 tdi. Oem xenons with LEDs. The tails I have are dark cherry no fog ... If I read correctly. It's supposed to be bit 18 to 20 to 21?

I'm not sure that the coding numbers are the same across the product line (Golf, TDI, GTI, R). I have an R and the numbers you list are used. I have heard other numbers mentioned, but I'm not sure.

Elchinophil

Ready to race!
I was a bit worry after reading through the thread that people are having issues with gap. All I have to say is that if you take your time, there should not be any gaps whatsoever. Since i'm super OCD, it took me about an hr and half.

Led2 by asiantrick, on Flickr

I think i need to do my hatch tails again then. THere is a gap indeed. i have ot mess around with it.

nockiboo

Ready to race!
I just want to say Thanks to Dose for the help throughout the purchase. Unfornately for me I was one of those buyers who had issues with one of my lights, Josepeh was very good in handling the RMA and made arrangements for me promptly with the vendor. I was able to get a replacement rather quick. However I also ran into I minor issue which again Joseph gave me an idea to make a fix myself.

If anyone comes across a tail light with slight in perfections along the top edges you can do a wetsand with 1000/2000 grit and PlastiX.

Below was my issue..

3m paper

Tape up prep, prior to wet sand.

After some wetsanding..

Used some plastix

The finished result...

For those deciding, Joseph is a reliable seller. He always answers his emails promptly. I wouldn't hesitate to order from him again. Enjoy your depo's everyone :clap:

OnePerfectDose

Ready to race!
I think i need to do my hatch tails again then. THere is a gap indeed. i have ot mess around with it.

Phil,

You can send me photos through email and I can guide on adjustments.

nockiboo said:
I just want to say Thanks to Dose for the help throughout the purchase. Unfornately for me I was one of those buyers who had issues with one of my lights, Josepeh was very good in handling the RMA and made arrangements for me promptly with the vendor. I was able to get a replacement rather quick. However I also ran into I minor issue which again Joseph gave me an idea to make a fix myself.

If anyone comes across a tail light with slight in perfections along the top edges you can do a wetsand with 1000/2000 grit and PlastiX.

Below was my issue..

3m paper

Tape up prep, prior to wet sand.

After some wetsanding..

Used some plastix

The finished result...

For those deciding, Joseph is a reliable seller. He always answers his emails promptly. I wouldn't hesitate to order from him again. Enjoy your depo's everyone :clap:

Thanks Nelson,

I've used this process to remove scratches on tails and heads. I've never tried on the seam like that. I found a new project for next weekend. I love how seamless they look after.

Last edited:

Hornblower

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm back with an update on upgrading the backup lights to LED. The first ones I tried from iJDMToy were OK but due to the single outward-facing LED and projector lens, the beam was more focused and narrow than I wanted. In addition, without side-facing LED elements, the built-in reflectors in the Depo tails weren't being utilized. As I reported previously, those bulbs which were advertised as error-free were not and I had to install load resistors.

A couple weeks ago I saw this ad from iJDMToy and was intrigued by the different design and higher wattage output:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008G4Y076/ref=pe_175190_21431760_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Subsequently, I bought a set of those and installed them. IMO, these are much, much better than the previous bulbs, mainly due to the total higher wattage with front AND side-facing LED elements which utilize the Depo built-in reflectors. As an added bonus, these bulbs are a bit shorter and seemed to snap into the sockets better. With this upgrade, I am finally satisfied. BTW, the load resistors I used were also from iJDMToy and were 8 ohm, 50 watt. These are fairly small, easy to mount, and are wired in parallel with the bulbs.

golfpro2112

Passed Driver's Ed
Black Smoke On UG

Received the tails yesterday and put them on in about 45 minutes without any issues. Did some tweaking today and this is the outcome. Very happy with the choice. Props to Dose for handling this group buy and his customer service skills. Great seller.

Attachments

• DSC_0620.JPG
    DSC_0620.JPG
    283 KB · Views: 734
  • DSC_0622.JPG
    DSC_0622.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 18,358
  • DSC_0623.JPG
    DSC_0623.JPG
    303.2 KB · Views: 560
  • DSC_0624.JPG
    DSC_0624.JPG
    274.1 KB · Views: 559
  • DSC_0625.JPG
    DSC_0625.JPG
    276.6 KB · Views: 580

golfpro2112

Passed Driver's Ed
Damn those black style ones really suit your car with everything else you have done. Looks great.

Thanks. Took me a while to decide between the black smoke and black cherry.

Hotpocketdeath

Received the tails yesterday and put them on in about 45 minutes without any issues. Did some tweaking today and this is the outcome. Very happy with the choice. Props to Dose for handling this group buy and his customer service skills. Great seller.

Have you made sure that your car is street legal?

I know that in many states, your car would not be street legal. There's no red in either the taillights or reflectors. And the 3rd light doesn't count.

Arkansas
http://statutes.laws.com/arkansas/title-27/subtitle-3/chapter-36/subchapter-2/27-36-215
(d) (1) Every new motor vehicle sold and operated upon a highway, other than a truck tractor, shall carry on the rear, either as a part of the tail lamps or separately, two (2) red reflectors.

Colorado
http://search.jurisearch.com/NLLXML...12&Title=42&datatype=S&noheader=1&nojumpmsg=0
Two red reflectors on the rear and one at each side, located not more than one inch from the extreme outside edges of the vehicle

I don't know the rules for your state, but you may want to check them out.

Just trying to look out for you so you don't get a ticket.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Have you made sure that your car is street legal?

I know that in many states, your car would not be street legal. There's no red in either the taillights or reflectors. And the 3rd light doesn't count.

Arkansas
http://statutes.laws.com/arkansas/title-27/subtitle-3/chapter-36/subchapter-2/27-36-215

Colorado
http://search.jurisearch.com/NLLXML...12&Title=42&datatype=S&noheader=1&nojumpmsg=0

I don't know the rules for your state, but you may want to check them out.

Just trying to look out for you so you don't get a ticket.

Euro tails arent legal, but since they look factory issued and not rice cops dont question em.

Golfmk6 on the go!

Hotpocketdeath

Euro tails arent legal, but since they look factory issued and not rice cops dont question em.

Golfmk6 on the go!

I wasn't really concerned with the tails only, just noticed he didn't have any red on the back of his car except for the 3rd brake light.

That does kind of stand out a bit more.

spiker369

on air, don't care
I wasn't really concerned with the tails only, just noticed he didn't have any red on the back of his car except for the 3rd brake light.

That does kind of stand out a bit more.

Yeah the cops around our area here don't give two shits. I had my tails tinted on my honda and i've seen people with practically black tails driving in front of cops without issue.

Hotpocketdeath

Yeah the cops around our area here don't give two shits. I had my tails tinted on my honda and i've seen people with practically black tails driving in front of cops without issue.

I wish the cops in my area were like that. I've gotten pulled over for a slightly tinted license plate cover before.

Last edited:

deaconblue

Passed Driver's Ed

NICE!!! That has to be one of the best looking GTI's I have seen. What kind of wheels and what size?

Status
Not open for further replies.