GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jeep guy --> GTI guy

Kenny-g

Ready to race!
Hello all from Texas!

I've got a '13 Jeep Wrangler that I've sunk some dough into for offroading purposes but now that I live off Base (Air Force) I'm realizing this $50 a week in gas is ridiculous. Before, when I lived on base, I barely used any gas except when I went on long road trips to see my fiancee 3 and a half hours away which I expected 18-20 MPG highway depending on which way the wind blew. But this 15 mins to work and 15 minutes back is raping my gas mileage/wallet.

I've decided that I need to get into a car again and this time I want something zippy but doesn't need to have ridiculous HP/Torque...so a turbo 4 banger with manual trans. I've narrowed it down to the Fiesta ST (new) or a used MK6 GTI with under 25k miles. I love the new MK7 GTIs but I don't think they're going to have any under $23k that I'd like. I want that to be my max limit. My fiancee absolutely DOES NOT want me to trade the Jeep but honestly this $407 a month in payments plus $150+ in gas is hurting me. I imagine a $250 a month (or so) car payment with only $50-75 a month in gas would be so much better especially since she'll be needing a new car sooner or later too (08 Chevy Cobalts suck ass).

So anyways, this is exactly what I want in a GTI: LINK TO SEXYNESS BUT OUT IN HOUSTON :(

But I know nothing about Vdubs...is this a specific edition to have those wheels? I really love those compared to the normal GTI rims and I dislike the R's rims. I don't want to get into modifying it for a while, I've sunk a sheeite load of money into my Jeep and at the end of the day it's still just a basic Jeep with loads of 'shinny things' on it to make it a little better. I know everyone says that at first and then 3 months later they're looking into exhaust, intake, tunes, coilovers, yada yada yada and I'm sure I'd be there too but for now I'd like to think I can be responsible. Anyways, I say I want to leave it mostly stock because it's just a great looking ride that everyone can enjoy with me. Keep it clean, daily drive it, hang out with fellow car guys on Thursday and Friday nights BSing about their whips/my whip. I miss that. With the Jeep community, you have to have big ass gatherings or take a lot of work for Jeepers to come together unless everyone is working on some project at the same time which is usually rare unless you and your friends are rich lol

What do I need to know in my search for the right GTI? I don't want a modded one and would honestly preffer a Certified Used model but I'd take what I can get. Also, when do the new MK7s for sure hit the lots in masses. I've only seen a hand full online in the state of Texas so I'm thinking I should wait until later this year or early next year to snag a deal on one of the last 2014 MK6s but y'all know more than I do.

All help is greatly appreciated, I'm sorry for the long ass kind of rambling thread.

PS if y'all know anyone in Texas looking for a nice used but loved JK Wrangler, you tell them to come to Kenny-g for a smokin deal (asking $24k but very negotiable) lmao

Jeep pic for sticking with me through the whole thread :thumbup:

Last edited:

Kenny-g

Ready to race!
Oh yeah and I've test driven a Fiesta ST and it was fun but just too 'compact' feeling. Too skinny, too tall in the back, no rear leg room. Yada yada yada. It's a great option over most other things out there IMO but a GTI would be better.

Last edited:

Kenny-g

Ready to race!
Your thread title looks like jeep guy "over" GTI guy....just saying. I was hoping for a jeep vs GTI race thread with video and pic of someone getting arrested...so disappointed

Lol changed it a little. Should make more sense now.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Kenny G, I like you. Come hang out in OT. You would fit right in.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion

Kenny-g

Ready to race!
Yeah I figured it out after I asked lol I need to go to bed right now but I'll hang there. Hopefully I can get on here at my work comp so I can bs. Thanks for the official invite lmao

*Edit: ps, we need to Chat about Sacramento sometime. Roseville is a suburb there right? I want to get stationed at the nearby base SO BAD!!! I'd do dirty, nasty things to get stationed there :( but that's another convo in another thread lol

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I figured it out after I asked lol I need to go to bed right now but I'll hang there. Hopefully I can get on here at my work comp so I can bs. Thanks for the official invite lmao

No worries. Consider it a big honor coming from one of two ELITE golfmk6 members.

You are one of us. I can tell already.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion

*Edit: ps, we need to Chat about Sacramento sometime. Roseville is a suburb there right? I want to get stationed at the nearby base SO BAD!!! I'd do dirty, nasty things to get stationed there :( but that's another convo in another thread lol

Ah, the PS.... Yes, you are correct. You talking about Beale AFB?

We can do the dirty wherever it takes us...

Kenny-g

Ready to race!
Nah Travis AFB is closer. By like an hour+ bro lol

*Edit again: really going to bed now. 6 am is calling my name -_- fml

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Nah Travis AFB is closer. By like an hour+ bro lol

*Edit again: really going to bed now. 6 am is calling my name -_- fml

Travis is about an hour from Roseville, Beale is like 45 mins tops....

Travis is massive though. I was just there to take someone to David Grant.

Kenny-g

Ready to race!
Hmmm maybe Sac-town is much bigger than I remember. Either way, I'd love to be stationed at either base.

LAYING DOWN MEOWWWWW