GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mille170 Build Thread

Mille170

Ready to race!
1 Year Review

Well, today marks one year exactly since I got my car; and it is safe to say that I still love getting in the driver seat every day, which is good since I spend a lot of time there (just rolled 17,000 miles). I have been Stage 1 for the last three months or so which has made the experience that much more enjoyable. It is funny to look back and see how much I have done to the car is the last year, and realize I still have 4 more years of paying this thing off. I hope I don't get bored/run out of things to do too quick. Finally, to celebrate my cars adoption date there should be a RCD 510 arriving in the mail today. I will update with pics later tonight after install.

slate83

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice build page.

I've got a 2011 4 dr. CW as well... with tint so right now, it looks exactly like your first picture.

Perusing around debating doing the mirror caps. One thing I'm concerned with is that the bottom of the mirror is not glossy and that might not look so hot with the glossy top. Can you weigh in and, if not too much trouble, provide a close-up pic of one of the mirrors?

P.S. I've got a front black/white emblem on the way (like so), a rear glossy black "GTI" emblem, rear glossy black VW, and white vinyl inserts for the rear logo. I'm still not sure what to do with the front GTI.. I'm thinking white isn't a noticeable difference from chrome.

I like the white strips you did on the grill, btw. You got those from john@FTC5?

Mille170

Ready to race!
This is the best pic I have of the mirror caps. I don't have an issue with the gloss and non gloss black together because you can tell one is past and one is plastic. As far as the grille stripes, I did have John paint them but I have since gone back to the red stripes. I can sell you the white ones if you want. Shoot me a pm. Thanks for compliments.

slate83

Passed Driver's Ed
This is the best pic I have of the mirror caps. I don't have an issue with the gloss and non gloss black together because you can tell one is past and one is plastic. As far as the grille stripes, I did have John paint them but I have since gone back to the red stripes. I can sell you the white ones if you want. Shoot me a pm. Thanks for compliments.

Awesome. I'm pretty much sold on the mirror caps. Definitely interested in the front white stripes and will PM you about those if I decide to go for 'em. Thanks for the pic!

Mille170

Ready to race!
Having a slight issue and didn't want to make a new thread, let me know if you have any ideas.

Got my 30K service done this past weekend and now I seem to have excess road noise while on the highway. I was told that in the service they did a brake service but I'm not quite sure what that entails. Initially i thought there was a nail or something in my tire that was causing the noise, also sounds like there could be a flat spot on the tire but I don't think that is the case. The noise sounds like a constant whir coming from the front, and is intermittent at times. I am hesitant to take it back because it is not that loud and I'm not even sure a tech could hear it on a ride (I obsess over noises in my car so it is really loud to me). The only thing I can think of is a sticking brake caliper or possibly my wheel bearing. If it gets any worse I will take it back to see if they can come up with anything.

\endrant

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
They dont do pads usually, so I would guess its not that. All the do is a flush at 30k, pretty sure. It would be constant too. I would go back, why not? You pay for it.

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
i just took my car in for it's 45,000km service. The service advisor reconmended when I left to get a brake "service", he mentioned VW recommends it at the 2 year mark.. said they check for metal embededed in the pads etc.. I was thinking at the time that it felt more of a money grab then anything, if VW was serious about it, it would be part of the official reconmended service regiment. I'd be interested to know what they did. As swfloridamk6 mentioned, i would take it back if you have a concern.

Mille170

Ready to race!
Good find! Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I was gonna rotate the tires around to see if that made a difference then take it in. I'm just worried that the tech wont be able to hear anything, then I have to pay to just have them look at the car.

I've been having some rattling myself.. pretty sure I know what it is but as part of my searching, I came across this:

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/vibechart.pdf

Might be of use but I ran through it briefly with your symptoms (some things assumed) and came to wheel bearings as well so you might already be on the right track.

Mille170

Ready to race!
Little update. I took it to the dealer and they determined my tires were wearing weird and causing the noise after rotation. They put the tires back to where they were and the noise went away. The question is now why are my tires wearing weird. They inspected the shocks/struts and they appeared fine.

Mille170

Ready to race!
03/23 Detail

Had a productive detail day. Washed, clayed, polished, and waxed with Meguires products then pulled the wheels to polish them inside and out and clean the calipers. Also painted the rear diffuser and side skirts with Plasti Dip and gloss on top; the color doesn't show up well in this pics but it looks good. Enjoy the pics.

Edit: DG springs shipping on Monday to help with wheel gap. Also thinking about spacers front and rear.