GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

mkvi autobahn vs. drivers edition

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I think the Autobahn would suit you better in the long term because of the additional luxury items.

As far as the Dynaudio system, I'm not crazy about it. It sounds nice, but I liked the Bose setup I had in my Nissan before this car. It lacks mids/lows. Very clear highs though.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I had a similar choice to make and I went with the Drivers Edition, grey exterior. The wheels and the slight price difference were the winners for me. The audio is still very good and the biggest difference not mentioned already is the Drivers Edition does not have a push-button start (something I could not care less about).

Does drivers edition have a sunroof?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

.:TF:.

For what it's worth I recently got a Candy White Drivers Edition. I much prefer the wheels over the Autobahn's although there were no Autobahns available when I got it anyway. The Driver's Edition I have still came with nav, leather, HIDs/LED DRLs, sunroof and although it would have been nice to have had the better stereo and push button start neither were that important to me (it's a 2nd car). I'd rather VW offered auto lights/wipers and backup sensors/camera (and the Euro nav with bigger screen)!

When I got mine the dealer did mention that VW have consolidated their packages from 5 down to 2 (Wolfsburg and Driver's edition) so Autobahn's will become harder and harder to find.

RE colour, I like the kind of retro white. My other car is already dark grey and can look a bit dull when it gets even a little bit dirty.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
interesting so the only thing its missing is the Dynaudio and kessy... hmm

DFYFZX

Base model for $23,xxx. Add nice aftermarket wheels and stereo of your choice. Cheaper and higher quality than the stock VW stuff;) If you have to have sunroof, leather, yada yada then simply ignore me. I didn't want to pay $30k+ for my daily driver but to each his/her own.

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
Autobahn. Serrons grow on you. Half the world has Detroits and lagunas. You'll get tired of them.
Leather seats are a big +1 in my book, but the cloth seats are very nice as well. I'm not a fan of the plaid so.. Can't say anything about that.
Idk if the driver's edition comes with oem projector headlights or not... But the autobahn does.
Dynaudio is better than the regular system. For an audiophile like me, I notice the difference between my brother-in-law's Dynaudio system and my stock system.
As for color.. Csg will show look dirtier, but id an awesome color. Golf doesn't come csg and they didn't have a silver 4dr.... So I went with candy white.

Sent via a microwave.

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
I think the stock radio in the base model is pretty impressive for a cheaper car. I listen to AM 90% of the time, but when I want to crank the country, it sounds pretty good.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I think the stock radio in the base model is pretty impressive for a cheaper car. I listen to AM 90% of the time, but when I want to crank the country, it sounds pretty good.

The stock radio is totally decent and I honestly dig the lack of a touch screen for the audio controls. I can adjust something without crashing. I do wish I had the SD card slot though.

I don't really get the Dynaudio. If you're truly an audiophile and want amazing sound, it's not that good. If you just want decent sounds in the car, the base system is perfectly adequate. The Dynaudio fills this void in between the two that doesn't really need to be filled. Yeah, it's a little better, but if you're paying extra for audio on this car, aftermarket will beat out the Dynaudio.

rmidler

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a CSG 4d manual. I think the Detroits look like cheese slicers so I changed to Enkei Fujiin's immediately. MY winter set up is 16" black spoke cheapies and General Altrac's. Besides giving excellent winter grip, the winter setup gives the car an entirely different look. So, just about the time I'm tiring of the rally look, Spring comes and I get a new look.
After 18 yrs of leather seats in Suburbans, I was ready for a change ( in more ways then one!). I think the cloth is such a "marker" for the GTI, I could not resist.
I have heard (but did not try myself) that the the HID lights do not get warm enough to melt snow/ice. Here in Ma., that would be a significant issue. I have added Hella Black Magic driving lights with 100W bulbs. I lack nothing for night vision.
I am 65. After yrs of buying many cars and trucks, I've learned the best buying tool one has is your back. If you do not like what you hear, just leave and wait for the phone calls. Go in knowing exactly what you want what you are willing to pay. Remember that no matter what the sales staff says, time is ALWAYS on your side.
Happy hunting!!!!

danrazzaqi

Ready to race!
I have a CSG 4d manual. I think the Detroits look like cheese slicers so I changed to Enkei Fujiin's immediately. MY winter set up is 16" black spoke cheapies and General Altrac's. Besides giving excellent winter grip, the winter setup gives the car an entirely different look. So, just about the time I'm tiring of the rally look, Spring comes and I get a new look.
After 18 yrs of leather seats in Suburbans, I was ready for a change ( in more ways then one!). I think the cloth is such a "marker" for the GTI, I could not resist.
I have heard (but did not try myself) that the the HID lights do not get warm enough to melt snow/ice. Here in Ma., that would be a significant issue. I have added Hella Black Magic driving lights with 100W bulbs. I lack nothing for night vision.
I am 65. After yrs of buying many cars and trucks, I've learned the best buying tool one has is your back. If you do not like what you hear, just leave and wait for the phone calls. Go in knowing exactly what you want what you are willing to pay. Remember that no matter what the sales staff says, time is ALWAYS on your side.
Happy hunting!!!!

New car buyers should be briefed with this exact info when they go in :)

Well said

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
^^^
Yes that last paragraph is key buying info.
You won't "lose the deal" by going home to sleep on it, or to cross check with other dealers, or with other makes.