GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

mkvi autobahn vs. drivers edition

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Don't see why Serrons are hated by many. I personally think they look more mature and upscale than the vastly overdone and copied laguna style wheels. Plus, the Serrons are two tone and looks sweet when waxed and shiny.

Because they're penis wheels.

Blur456

Autobahn seats are "Top Sport" seats, which means more aggressive bolsters than the seats found on the non-Autobahn levels.

Thanks. So I believe the true differences between an Autobahn and the Driver's Edition are:
- No Kessy in DE
- No Dynaudio in DE
- Different wheels
- Brushed aluminum trim in Autobahn vs dark "honeycomb" pattern in DE.
- Manual gear shift knobs (although the same in DSG cars from what I've seen).

Everything else is the same?

dcpppf

Ready to race!
go fast stripes = 25hp per stripe

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks. So I believe the true differences between an Autobahn and the Driver's Edition are:
- No Kessy in DE
- No Dynaudio in DE
- Different wheels
- Brushed aluminum trim in Autobahn vs dark "honeycomb" pattern in DE.
- Manual gear shift knobs (although the same in DSG cars from what I've seen).

Everything else is the same?
No idea about what DE has, but then wouldn't that just make the DE a base model plus Autobahn seats?

cannabill

I like the autobahn but the drivers edition has the better wheels. For anyone who has one hows the premium sound in the autobahn? Also the early mk7 may have some problems. Most new entries do.

Also guys and gals for color carbon or white. I really like both colors

I have a 2013 Autobahn in carbon and love it. The sound system really does well even at higher volumes. I have a relative that just bought a white Drivers Addition in white. He is very happy with it. I need to sit in it and try to listen for a difference in the sound system from mine. So, other than the wheels and sound system are there any other differences in the Autobahn and Drivers Addition? Thanks.

Last edited:

///Audience

Ready to race!
Biggest difference to me is KESSY. fantastic feature that I didn't even know existed until getting my autobahn. It's pretty convenient never having to take your keys out of your pocket to look/unlock/start the car.

TheMKVI

Go Kart Champion
The only thing I'm missing with my Driver's Edition is KESSEY and push button start, but is it really worth it to spend the extra money and settle for fugly rims so you don't have to take your key out of your pocket (a habit you've probably made with every other vehicle you've owned)?

In my experience, all stock systems are crap, even BMW, Maserati, whatever :thumbdown: To a real audiophile they may as well be playing through mud instead of air. I don't think manufacturers even rate power in RMS, it certainly doesn't sound like 300w RMS. If you really care about audio and you want more detail and clarity in your music you're better off spending that money on a real amp and components. The SQ difference between the Dynaudio and stock is negligible compared to midrange aftermarket components and Dynaudio. There's no diminishing returns here, all you can do is win. On a scale of 1 to 10 Dynaudio's sound quality takes you from a 3 to a 4 and aftermarket will take you to a 7 :thumbsup:

In my previous car I used JL C5s up front and C2s in the rear running 150w rms to each of the fronts and 85w rms to each of the rears. It could get painfully loud and still sound crystal clear and accurate, show me a sound system option that can do that. You ever wonder why car manufacturers pair with recognizable home audio brands (Harmon Kardon, Sony, Blose, Mark Levinson, Boston, etc) as opposed to anyone with actual experience making high end car audio equipment? It's because they are making low end car audio components, rating them in max power just like the amps Wallmart sells, and selling a name. If there's an audio upgrade to a McIntosh or Focal system I might buy it, until then I'll stand by the statement "all stock systems are crap."

But hey, if you want it for the KESSEY I can't blame you. :D

KO7

Ready to race!
The only thing I'm missing with my Driver's Edition is KESSEY and push button start, but is it really worth it to spend the extra money and settle for fugly rims so you don't have to take your key out of your pocket (a habit you've probably made with every other vehicle you've owned)?

In my experience, all stock systems are crap, even BMW, Maserati, whatever :thumbdown: To a real audiophile they may as well be playing through mud instead of air. I don't think manufacturers even rate power in RMS, it certainly doesn't sound like 300w RMS. If you really care about audio and you want more detail and clarity in your music you're better off spending that money on a real amp and components. The SQ difference between the Dynaudio and stock is negligible compared to midrange aftermarket components and Dynaudio. There's no diminishing returns here, all you can do is win. On a scale of 1 to 10 Dynaudio's sound quality takes you from a 3 to a 4 and aftermarket will take you to a 7 :thumbsup:

In my previous car I used JL C5s up front and C2s in the rear running 150w rms to each of the fronts and 85w rms to each of the rears. It could get painfully loud and still sound crystal clear and accurate, show me a sound system option that can do that. You ever wonder why car manufacturers pair with recognizable home audio brands (Harmon Kardon, Sony, Blose, Mark Levinson, Boston, etc) as opposed to anyone with actual experience making high end car audio equipment? It's because they are making low end car audio components, rating them in max power just like the amps Wallmart sells, and selling a name. If there's an audio upgrade to a McIntosh or Focal system I might buy it, until then I'll stand by the statement "all stock systems are crap."

If I hated the Serrons that much, I'd still buy the Autobahn edition and sell the Serrons for probably more money than my choice of wheels would cost.

Dynaudio and KESSY are simply fantastic IMO.

///Audience

Ready to race!
. You ever wonder why car manufacturers pair with recognizable home audio brands (Harmon Kardon, Sony, Blose, Mark Levinson, Boston, etc) as opposed to anyone with actual experience making high end car audio equipment? It's because they are making low end car audio components, rating them in max power just like the amps Wallmart sells, and selling a name. If there's an audio upgrade to a McIntosh or Focal system I might buy it, until then I'll stand by the statement "all stock systems are crap."

Are you saying that dynaudio has little to no experience building high end mobile audio equipment? A lot of world class IASCA winners would disagree with you there. I'll take my dynaudio Esotec drivers (leagues better than OEM dyns) over any focal setup any day.

TheMKVI

Go Kart Champion
Are you saying that dynaudio has little to no experience building high end mobile audio equipment? A lot of world class IASCA winners would disagree with you there. I'll take my dynaudio Esotec drivers (leagues better than OEM dyns) over any focal setup any day.

To be honest, I haven't heard the Dynaudio sound system and I didn't know Dynaudio even made car audio. However, that doesn't mean they put decent ones in the GTI. I've heard alot of factory audio systems from all sorts of luxury car manufacturers and not one comes close to midlevel audio components with a decent amp. As I said car companies are selling a name when they sell 'premium' sound options.

///Audience

Ready to race!
To be honest, I haven't heard the Dynaudio sound system and I didn't know Dynaudio even made car audio. However, that doesn't mean they put decent ones in the GTI. I've heard alot of factory audio systems from all sorts of luxury car manufacturers and not one comes close to midlevel audio components with a decent amp. As I said car companies are selling a name when they sell 'premium' sound options.

I'm not positive this is completely accurate, but doesn't the dyn upgrade only account for about $400 of the autobahn upgrade price? For $400, I can't see any aftermarket setup being comparable. I would never argue the OEM dyn is an audiophile grade system (not even close). But I do argue that for $400, it's one of the best, non-warranty voiding, fully integrated systems possible.

jsh1120

Ready to race!
To be honest, I haven't heard the Dynaudio sound system and I didn't know Dynaudio even made car audio...

For someone who has not heard the audio system in the Autobahn you certainly have strong opinions about it.

Frankly, I think most discussions of audio systems in vehicles, especially with self-styled "audiophiles" are ridiculous. Preferences for one system over another depend upon personal taste in sound and music and the particular configuration of a listening space. My own preferences mean that I don't judge a sound system by the vibration it creates in my sternum but others do and that's certainly their choice.

I purchased the Autobahn in part because of what seemed to me to be a significantly better sound system than that offered in the Driver's Edition. The negotiated difference in price between the two vehicles was less than $200 and for me the upgrade (along with KESSEY) was a no brainer. When I really care about the quality of the music I'm listening to I do so with a pair of premium headphones, not traveling along in any automobile where other sounds intrude on that experience and the space is designed for listening rather than a box on wheels designed for mobility.