GOLFMKV

Official Chicagoland Chat Redux: The Triumphant Return of Boostedballs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaber

Modero
I feel like i am too old to go to meets...even though I am only 35

Dang bro. I'm like 27 going on 28 and feel old too :laugh:

Seeing all these youngin's and remembering my early teens going to car meets, being broke as a joke. I remember saving every penny I could for the big yearly meet.

At first I could be a bit anti-social in person, until I warm up to people. Sometimes I just hate big crowds, feels like everyone eventually just breaks down into their own cliches.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Autobarn in Mt Propect wants $150 to flash me from Stage 1 to Stage 2....seems a bit high. Found a guy in Lake Zurich with a shop called E-Fab Motorsports says he will flash it for $50. Anyone been there? I assume you cant really mess a flash up right?

that is VERY high to go from stg 1 to 2.

Efab - i am seeing people going there now, he is fairly new. So far, i've heard he is doing well. $50 sounds reasonable for the simple OBDII flash for his time, etc.

$150 is a little high but pretty close to standard. (edit: nevermind - I totally skipped over the part where you were going stage 1 to stage 2) E-Fab is a new shop. The owner was my driver's ed partner back in high school haha. A bunch of euro guys have started going to E-Fab but I haven't been there yet.

You definitely can mess up a flash. Fried ECU either immediately or months down the line, unique software problems, etc.

VERY high for 1-2, yes. that is funny on your Euro Mafia connection there, Kev...

that's because once you're already stage 1, they just reflash via the OBD port usually. To initially get tuned they need to pull your ECU and solder a few things. I was not charged at all when I went from stage 1 to stage 2. Maybe because I was buddies with the service adviser? or maybe they changed policies...

BINGO^

Anything over $50 for a reflash is just stupid. GRD and Efab both charge $50 as far as I know. Wish I lived near HSTuning since they do it for free.

:word:

Dat dealer rate.

TRUE^

You already paid like $150 or whatever to have them pull the ECU - shouldn't they be able to reflash by just plugging it in without opening it up again? Why pay $150 to have them plug in a cable?

AGREED^

Thats what I was thinking.. Stage 1 is already done. Got my DP in the mail and installing that this weekend so I called to see what the Stage 2 flash was going to cost me. He said $150 and I even stated again that I was already stage 1 which i bought from them...he put me on hold came back and said Yep, $150.

It would be cheaper for me to over night my ECU to APR and have them do it for free with overnight back and use my wifes car in the mean time

TRUE, may be cheaper at that point, lol.

Just called Fox Valley VW in Schaumburg...Ricky said he will will do it for $75, guess i am going there

NOICE.

Autobarn MP did my Stage 2 flash for free. In fact I think Ryan did it. I was in there for a 20K maintenance I think and they just flashed it.

that was back in the day tho, man.

:word: but that was when we really had the hookups there.

bingo^

Never found out who had the modded white gti at fox valley...pretty sure its a techs.....if youre out there somewhere reading this, you wanna go catch a movie? maybe some mini golf and some brews? :)

Did it have Laguna wheels?

i want K04 now and I haven't even gone to any of the damn meets.

ORLY?

I feel like i am too old to go to meets...even though I am only 35

I'm almost 34 ;)

I started going to car (Subaru) meets in 2004... #old

Renner

Go Kart Champion
feels like everyone eventually just breaks down into their own cliches.

This is exactly how it was when I was younger and used to attend meets, but back then I had the group to hang out with. Now I just kick back and drink by the backyard firepit after working on my car with friends :)

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Sorry but i can only let one white modded gti into my life at this time...jay745 im talking to you bro, You had me at eurojet turboback exhaust. Its not that i dont like you jaber, seriously...its not you its me....AWKWARD.

*unzips*

Forgot Jay had CW :thumbup: Dem whites.
I looovvvve white hatchbacks.

i want K04 now and I haven't even gone to any of the damn meets.
The k04 bug strikes again! I even pitched the idea of renting out our spare bedroom for som extra cash to the lady.... she was ok with it at first until I told her the extra money was for a bigger turbo then her face was all -_-

At first I could be a bit anti-social in person, until I warm up to people. Sometimes I just hate big crowds, feels like everyone eventually just breaks down into their own cliches.
note to self: give Jaber awkward long hugs upon first meeting.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
This is exactly how it was when I was younger and used to attend meets, but back then I had the group to hang out with. Now I just kick back and drink by the backyard firepit after working on my car with friends :)

I think its worse now / maybe in the VAG group than when I was in the subaru crowd.. and honestly, its mostly because the stanced people don't really see eye to eye with performance peeps, imho.

*unzips*

The k04 bug strikes again! I even pitched the idea of renting out our spare bedroom for som extra cash to the lady.... she was ok with it at first until I told her the extra money was for a bigger turbo then her face was all -_-

note to self: give Jaber awkward long hugs upon first meeting.

:lol: :clap:

Well.. if I end up making the jump to the WRX, my K04 will be for salez. Or even if I get a beater and do a 2nd car, etc, same thing. Will of course let everyone know if that happens, much rather prefer to sell local for a killer price and avoid shipping too.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::bellyroll::bellyroll::bellyroll::bellyroll::bellyroll::bellyroll::bellyroll:

dat ass.

grab it :iono:

Or... we could stand in a circle and play "crotchgrabber"??? :iono:

Muskie

Go Kart Champion
:word: but that was when we really had the hookups there.

Maybe. John Paul wrote my service up that time. Just told him I wanted the Stage 2 flash, my 20K, and Ryan to look at my stupid footwell lights that would turn on and off whenever they wanted.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Well.. if I end up making the jump to the WRX, my K04 will be for salez. Or even if I get a beater and do a 2nd car, etc, same thing. Will of course let everyone know if that happens, much rather prefer to sell local for a killer price and avoid shipping too.
word. Doubt I'd have funds for it cuz it sounds like you're getting ready to make the move pretty soonish. I prob wouldn't be ready with all the other supporting mods required until next year sometime.

:bellyroll:

Boss is going to think I'm crazy, trying to hold back my lawls.
same, the people that sit outside my office were looking at me. I shut my door lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.