GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Repair Wire Question - Rear Fog

ONLYNAVW

Just finished this up, both DRL LEDs work, rear fog works, just need to get my reverse light working. At least I can pass my MOT inspection now and get my road tax covered by uncle sam.

You better hurry they are'nt paying for the road tax after Feb 28th. and our COLA went down about 80$ also...

GianquiMan

Passed Driver's Ed
I got everything working! We finally had a nice day outside. First I want to thank everyone for taking the time to do and provide all the research for the rest of us. THANK YOU!

Eat_My_Shorts. There is definitely a loose connection somewhere for your non working reverse light. I followed the diagram provided in this thread and I got everything working, including the reverse light. No unique coding needed. I just used the normal "04" on Byte 18.

Last edited:

GianquiMan

Passed Driver's Ed
Today was the first day I've driven on base and I already had 3 people tell me "Hey one of your reverse lights is out (where the fog is).

LOL...I guess I better get used to it until I PCS.

GianquiMan

Passed Driver's Ed
You guys still in the UK? I'm finally at Mildenhall. Still waiting for my R to arrive. Aside from reaiming the headlights, I believe it should be good to go. Did you guys run into any surprises trying to get MOT/SVA done?

Eat_My_Shorts

Ready to race!
You guys still in the UK? I'm finally at Mildenhall. Still waiting for my R to arrive. Aside from reaiming the headlights, I believe it should be good to go. Did you guys run into any surprises trying to get MOT/SVA done?

Do you have xenon lights? If so I would vagcom it to adjust them.

What mods do you have done? I know for my the only issue I had was my exhaust. It was caused by my TBE. I found another tester that let me stuff my exhaust to get a reading that would pass. Other than that it passed with flying colors.

GianquiMan

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you have xenon lights? If so I would vagcom it to adjust them.

What mods do you have done? I know for my the only issue I had was my exhaust. It was caused by my TBE. I found another tester that let me stuff my exhaust to get a reading that would pass. Other than that it passed with flying colors.

Good thing I brought my cable. Yes on the xenon. You mean enable the travel mode or is there some other VAGCOM adjustment? I did play with the travel mode setting and they were moving around. All I have is a Borla catback so that should be fine I'm assuming. Rear fog on right side works with indication inside, it had the side turn signals in the mirrors, and up front I enabled the white city parking lights. Anything else I might be missing?

edit* Can you PM me that friendly tester or anyone else that's recommended for the SVA?

Last edited:

Eat_My_Shorts

Ready to race!
Good thing I brought my cable. Yes on the xenon. You mean enable the travel mode or is there some other VAGCOM adjustment? I did play with the travel mode setting and they were moving around. All I have is a Borla catback so that should be fine I'm assuming. Rear fog on right side works with indication inside, it had the side turn signals in the mirrors, and up front I enabled the white city parking lights. Anything else I might be missing?

Is your cable OEM? Direct from rosstech? If so hit them up, send them a scan of your car. They will tell you what to change and what the value should be.

They have 2 options, the first is just adjust, the other is to have the option to change under setting on the display. I tried the 2nd one, but when I went to get tested was told it was not aimed right still. So I did the 1st and it passed.

You should be good with the exhaust, I have a TBE and it was the DP that got me. Everything else sounds good, all I had to do was the rear fog, and adjust headlights.

If you find yourself my way let me know, I'm very active with a local car club with a group of great guys.

GianquiMan

Passed Driver's Ed
Is your cable OEM? Direct from rosstech? If so hit them up, send them a scan of your car. They will tell you what to change and what the value should be.

They have 2 options, the first is just adjust, the other is to have the option to change under setting on the display. I tried the 2nd one, but when I went to get tested was told it was not aimed right still. So I did the 1st and it passed.

You should be good with the exhaust, I have a TBE and it was the DP that got me. Everything else sounds good, all I had to do was the rear fog, and adjust headlights.

If you find yourself my way let me know, I'm very active with a local car club with a group of great guys.

Sweet. Yeah I'll have to look you guys up. Is there a FB page or something? Yeah, I have the RossTech and the 2nd one you talk about should be the "travel mode" and I got that working. I'll see if that flies. If not I'll have to do the other adjustment.

jbetts1790

Ready to race!
I got around to installing the rear fog trigger wire today, and ran into some problems. I followed the instructions on vwvortex, but after coding and swapping wires as described, the rear fog doesn't work, nor my front right DRL (gives an error code). Tonight I discovered that when I go into reverse, the right rear light works and not left (that part is correct), but also my right DRL turns on as well... I just found this thread and read through, and will try re-wiring as described here, which is different from the older instructions.

jbetts1790

Ready to race!
Success after a few hours of triple checking wiring, and trying various lighting codes! Since I have a LHD car, wiring the rear fog turned out to be:

trigger from #7 to black cecm #17
move black cecm #28 to brown cecm #47
move brown cecm #47 to black cecm #28

code byte 18 to 15 (stock halogen headlights, LED w/ fog rear lights)