GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

**REVIEW** S3 Intercooler + AWE Hose Kit + AWE Turbo Outlet Pipe Installed!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I've been shopping around to perform this mod and came across this kit on ECS Tuning.

Apparently, from the pictures, there appears to be an OEM VW part number on them: 1K0145834AA is what I can see from one, but I can't see the other. I'd like to use OEM hoses and would like to know how, if possible, I could get the other part number. Should I call ECS Tuning?

The whole reason that kit is so expensive is because those hoses are pricier than the Intercooler itself!!!

You can get the S3 intercooler for like $250-300 Shipped or something & then the hoses cost $130-150/each or something IIRC

Just save your money, get the S3 intercooler with the AWE hoses instead.....it'll be the same thing

That won't void your warranty either

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Uh, swapping out the intercooler immediately voids the warranty.

They have to prove that it caused the failure, but alarm bells will go off at the dealership when you go in with a larger intercooler than stock.

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
The whole reason that kit is so expensive is because those hoses are pricier than the Intercooler itself!!!

You can get the S3 intercooler for like $250-300 Shipped or something & then the hoses cost $130-150/each or something IIRC

Just save your money, get the S3 intercooler with the AWE hoses instead.....it'll be the same thing

That won't void your warranty either

I priced that one part number (1K0145834AA) at 1stvwparts.com and it's something like $65 for the one.

If there's no performance gain, I'd prefer using OEM VW parts too. :p

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I priced that one part number (1K0145834AA) at 1stvwparts.com and it's something like $65 for the one.

If there's no performance gain, I'd prefer using OEM VW parts too. :p

I hear ya on that one...staying OEM

Not too sure about getting the parts from 1stvwparts.com though because you need Audi parts & they only sell VW parts. (discussed on Vortex last year)

www.genuineaudiparts.com

Intercooler: $256.32

As for the hoses....dunno where you got that part number, but AFAIK these are the TSI hose part numbers:
1K0145832S -- $122.40
1K0145762BM -- $140.40

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
I hear ya on that one...staying OEM

Not too sure about getting the parts from 1stvwparts.com though because you need Audi parts & they only sell VW parts. (discussed on Vortex last year)

www.genuineaudiparts.com

Intercooler: $256.32

As for the hoses....dunno where you got that part number, but AFAIK these are the TSI hose part numbers:
1K0145832S -- $122.40
1K0145762BM -- $140.40

I got the part numbers from ECSTuning...
BUT I've changed my mind again! :laugh:

I'm going to use Forge hoses, used along with the Twintercooler, to connect to the S3 IC.

:thumbup:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer

I'm going to use Forge hoses, used along with the Twintercooler, to connect to the S3 IC.

Let us know how that goes.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

Well I'm curious about the part numbers still, because ECS used to have the part numbers listed on there site a year ago when I was looking at the S3 intercooler

But then they took them off/away

So did you call them & they told you?

Halvie

WOOSA
Got my shipping notice for the intercooler today, but it says this:

1K0145803P Intercooler, tt, w/s 2009

I searched the part number again(1K0145803P) at genuinevwaudiparts and it has 3 different listings ( OEM, Mechanical, and collision). OEM just says cooler, Mechanical says intercooler, tt, w/s 2009, and Collision says Intercooler - 2009 w/awd, w/tts 2009.

Are these all the same part? Am I going to get the right intercooler?

FreddyD

Passed Driver's Ed
Installed my S3 IC over the weekend. The car pulls so much harder. Love it! Didn't get to drive it around to much as of yet. But from what I can tell so far its def a win mod. :)

intense

Passed Driver's Ed
SC

Yeap, I agree with Freddy, the car is able to drive steadier and pulls better on higher revs. But it's not a day and night mod difference.

Got mine installed over the weekend. No need to cut any hoses as it was a direct fit on original hoses.

But one thing i noticed is there is more lag on the initial throttle response compared to stage 1. Stage 1 is more lively and light on the throttle in terms of acceleration.

Cheers.

P

plac

Got mine installed over the weekend. No need to cut any hoses as it was a direct fit on original hoses.

ORLY? Are the Malaysian GTIs a different design? Our USA GTIs use the crappy o-ring/clip design for the hoses, whereas the S3 intercooler goes to straight normal hose connections.

intense

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, Plac, the malaysian ones are no different (it has the crappy o-ring clip) but you are right the hoses fit in straight to normal hose connections.

How's the feeling on the S3 FMIC ?

Cheers.

RedrumRH

Ready to race!
What a killer post and great feedback. No GTI yet but I learn a $hitlo@d from you all. Thanks for the good detail.

P

plac

Hi, Plac, the malaysian ones are no different (it has the crappy o-ring clip) but you are right the hoses fit in straight to normal hose connections.

How's the feeling on the S3 FMIC ?

Cheers.

It was insane on my stage 1 MK5 GTI. It had more power than my stage 2 GTI before my intercooler. It does something huge to the flow, as it pulls a lot harder, longer once you add the S3. BEFORE it even gets warm.. Still thinking about whether i'm gonna buy one. The install sucks..

demon_eddie

really nice write up...i found it's very helpful, just wonderd if S3 is still good for stage 2 and stage 3 use?or i have to install one additional forge piece for upgrade?thanks..

Last edited: