GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

**REVIEW** S3 Intercooler + AWE Hose Kit + AWE Turbo Outlet Pipe Installed!

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
I want to get this IC but reading about everyone saying it is a PITA to install is making me think twice. I saw some pics on another post where the guy had to take apart the whole front end of the car.. and paying for installation will be more expensive than the IC itself.

If I go stage 2, is the S3 IC really recommended?

P

plac

I want to get this IC but reading about everyone saying it is a PITA to install is making me think twice. I saw some pics on another post where the guy had to take apart the whole front end of the car.. and paying for installation will be more expensive than the IC itself.

If I go stage 2, is the S3 IC really recommended?

Yes, you have to take apart the entire front end. Yes, it is harder than a downpipe job.

Yes, I just ordered it for a 2nd time for my 2010 GTI.. The pain is worth it once you see the results.

kennega

Ready to race!
It isn't a pain in the ass to install, you don't need any specialized tools, and no trimming is necessary. I don't remember if you need to drain the coolant for only the FMIC install because I did the APR FMIC along with my Stage 3 install.

It's a four-hour job tops if you're doing it yourself. Get a buddy and make a Saturday out of it. If you have any questions feel free to ask/PM.

P

plac

It isn't a pain in the ass to install, you don't need any specialized tools, and no trimming is necessary. I don't remember if you need to drain the coolant for only the FMIC install because I did the APR FMIC along with my Stage 3 install.

It's a four-hour job tops if you're doing it yourself. Get a buddy and make a Saturday out of it. If you have any questions feel free to ask/PM.

you dont need to drain the coolant for S3 install.

intense

Passed Driver's Ed
S3 FMIC

Yes, you have to take apart the entire front end. Yes, it is harder than a downpipe job.

Yes, I just ordered it for a 2nd time for my 2010 GTI.. The pain is worth it once you see the results.

We were lucky in Malaysia as it cost USD40 to install the whole thing. But it takes a lot of time and labour (at least 5 hours) as they have to remove the front (bumper, air con radiator etc). After that, they need to fill up the coolant and also refill the aircon gas.

The worth ??? I guess the pull is slightly harder. But it may be a neccessary mod for those living in a country (tropics) like us where the night temp could be 29 - 31 deg.

P

plac

We were lucky in Malaysia as it cost USD40 to install the whole thing. But it takes a lot of time and labour (at least 5 hours) as they have to remove the front (bumper, air con radiator etc). After that, they need to fill up the coolant and also refill the aircon gas.

The worth ??? I guess the pull is slightly harder. But it may be a neccessary mod for those living in a country (tropics) like us where the night temp could be 29 - 31 deg.

for usa, we dont remove the radiator or A/C. nothing needs to be refilled.

P

plac

A bit worried about my S3 install tomorrow. Reason being, the instructions everyone uses are for the MK5. The MK6 is a lot different. I can't tell if the grill is 1 piece with the bumper fascia or not. I see 4 bolts on the top of the grill. Maybe it snaps into the bumper, or maybe its 1 piece. Then the headlight setup is a bit different. I need to make sure i unplug the harness at the right place, etc. I study directions for many days in preparation for any job. Every day I read the guide a few times. At least I've done a MK5 so im half familiar. Already have my new bolts and a bunch of labeled ziplock bags. I'm not taking it apart at all until the S3IC is in my hand. Need to make sure I have no broken tabs etc, before I start doing all that work. Also need to make sure it has metal end tanks, but the vendor assured me the part ending in P does have the metal end tanks. It was about $305 shipped to my door, because i also had to pay tax in addition to shipping.

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
A bit worried about my S3 install tomorrow. Reason being, the instructions everyone uses are for the MK5. The MK6 is a lot different. I can't tell if the grill is 1 piece with the bumper fascia or not. I see 4 bolts on the top of the grill. Maybe it snaps into the bumper, or maybe its 1 piece. Then the headlight setup is a bit different. I need to make sure i unplug the harness at the right place, etc. I study directions for many days in preparation for any job. Every day I read the guide a few times. At least I've done a MK5 so im half familiar. Already have my new bolts and a bunch of labeled ziplock bags. I'm not taking it apart at all until the S3IC is in my hand. Need to make sure I have no broken tabs etc, before I start doing all that work. Also need to make sure it has metal end tanks, but the vendor assured me the part ending in P does have the metal end tanks. It was about $305 shipped to my door, because i also had to pay tax in addition to shipping.

Good luck dude! and please take some pics of the process!

P

plac

Good luck dude! and please take some pics of the process!

i dunno dude.. this is one job where you dont have time to stop and take pics.. it takes forever. If I had a 2nd partner to spend 4 hours videoing it for me then i might consider it. If its 4 hours normally, its prob 6 hours while taking video. Then it might be hard to compress a 4-5 hour video into a 10 min install.