GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RSR clutch kit questions/concerns

whitebeastMKV

Ready to race!
I just installed this clutch kit a couple of days ago, and so far I really am impressed and like it; I like the feel of the clutch pedal and also got used to it grabbing way lower than the stock CRAP clutch vw put in there from factory.
One thing my dad noticed when we did the install was that the RSR pressure plate actually has a smaller area where it clamps onto the clutch disk compared to the stock one. So if you measure the thickness of the RSR one compared to stock is deffenately smaller also as seen by pictures where I marked them A and B.

RSR pressure plate (marked as B)

Stock pressure plate (marked as A)

RSR clutch disk which has same dimensions as STOCK ( Marked as C)

So to me what that means is that the RSR pressure plate will not cover the whole the clutch disk on the pressure plate side but it does so on the FLYWHEEL side because the RSR clutch disk has the same overall diameter as the stock flywheel and stock clutch.

So far everything is good, but i don’t know what is gonna happen over time as NOT the WHOLE surface of the clutch disk (on the pressure plate side) will wear out the same as it will on the FLYWHEEL side; I guess only time will.

But I just wanted to point this out and I’m sure the guys at HS tuning that put this clutch kit together know about this, tested it and everything is OK. But was just wondering if anyone else noticed this when doing the install???

I just installed this clutch kit a couple of days ago, and so far I really am impressed and like it; I like the feel of the clutch pedal and also got used to it grabbing way lower than the stock CRAP clutch vw put in there from factory.
One thing my dad noticed when we did the install was that the RSR pressure plate actually has a smaller area where it clamps onto the clutch disk compared to the stock one. So if you measure the thickness of the RSR one compared to stock is deffenately smaller also as seen by pictures where I marked them A and B.

RSR pressure plate (marked as B)

Stock pressure plate (marked as A)

RSR clutch disk which has same dimensions as STOCK ( Marked as C)

So to me what that means is that the RSR pressure plate will not cover the whole the clutch disk on the pressure plate side but it does so on the FLYWHEEL side because the RSR clutch disk has the same overall diameter as the stock flywheel and stock clutch.

So far everything is good, but i don’t know what is gonna happen over time as NOT the WHOLE surface of the clutch disk (on the pressure plate side) will wear out the same as it will on the FLYWHEEL side; I guess only time will.

But I just wanted to point this out and I’m sure the guys at HS tuning that put this clutch kit together know about this, tested it and everything is OK. But was just wondering if anyone else noticed this when doing the install???

I thought i was the only person that noticed this... My shop and I actually called HS tuning about this problem and they pretty much told us it's going to be okay. I have the same concern as you tho, over time, it will ware down and when it does, I am afraid the outter edge of the clutch disk will catch since its not 100%fitted. For my justification, I think since the density of the disk is lower, it will always wear out first. Dispite the panic, I have 10,000km on the clutch and its still doing really well. I wouldn't worry about it.

whitebeastMKV

Ready to race!
ha, so my DAD was right for noticing these things...no wonder he catches these things as he's been a certified mechanic and practicing this for well over 40 years now...that's right, he's close to retirement and still got it....LOL

having said that, i hope that we're not gonna run into issues say 30, 40K, 60K....down the road as like you said, the clutch disk will wear faster then the pressure plate and will mark a RIDGE line kind of all along the clutch disk

but liek you said, maybe we're worrying over nothing...TIME WILL TELL I GUESS...

I thought i was the only person that noticed this... My shop and I actually called HS tuning about this problem and they pretty much told us it's going to be okay. I have the same concern as you tho, over time, it will ware down and when it does, I am afraid the outter edge of the clutch disk will catch since its not 100%fitted. For my justification, I think since the density of the disk is lower, it will always wear out first. Dispite the panic, I have 10,000km on the clutch and its still doing really well. I wouldn't worry about it.

ha, so my DAD was right for noticing these things...no wonder he catches these things as he's been a certified mechanic and practicing this for well over 40 years now...that's right, he's close to retirement and still got it....LOL

having said that, i hope that we're not gonna run into issues say 30, 40K, 60K....down the road as like you said, the clutch disk will wear faster then the pressure plate and will mark a RIDGE line kind of all along the clutch disk

but liek you said, maybe we're worrying over nothing...TIME WILL TELL I GUESS...

I sort of jumped on the RSR when my clutch started slipping, there weren't any real high kms usage proven of the RSR at that point, but I went for it anyways. I am not sure what's the highest kms one of these has seen, but I am sure even if there were, there won't be too many of them. 2 scenarios: 1) the clutch disk will catch on the ridge and you need to swap it out, so you either swap it now or swap it when it does wear. (doesn't matter since the clutch is in already). 2) it works fine for many years and you don't have to worry about it. There are many members here that has the RSR clutch, I am sure if the RSR fail, they will start posting about it. So far, I've heard nothing but good reviews on the kit and it certainly perform better than most clutch I've driven (comfor level considered). Don't worry so much and start driving!

whitebeastMKV

Ready to race!
I sort of jumped on the RSR when my clutch started slipping, there weren't any real high kms usage proven of the RSR at that point, but I went for it anyways. I am not sure what's the highest kms one of these has seen, but I am sure even if there were, there won't be too many of them. 2 scenarios: 1) the clutch disk will catch on the ridge and you need to swap it out, so you either swap it now or swap it when it does wear. (doesn't matter since the clutch is in already). 2) it works fine for many years and you don't have to worry about it. There are many members here that has the RSR clutch, I am sure if the RSR fail, they will start posting about it. So far, I've heard nothing but good reviews on the kit and it certainly perform better than most clutch I've driven (comfor level considered). Don't worry so much and start driving!

ha, ha...i'm not worrying or loose sleep over it, i'm sure it'll be fine and if HS tunig told you it'll be fine i'm sure they tested it and know that it'll be OK

i just wanted to mention something that my dad saw and was wondering if anyone else seen the differences between the STOCK pressure plate and the "modified" sachs one they are providing in their CLUTCH KIT.

Pressure plate is actaully an OEM Part for the TT-RS. "LUK"

ha, ha...i'm not worrying or loose sleep over it, i'm sure it'll be fine and if HS tunig told you it'll be fine i'm sure they tested it and know that it'll be OK

i just wanted to mention something that my dad saw and was wondering if anyone else seen the differences between the STOCK pressure plate and the "modified" sachs one they are providing in their CLUTCH KIT.

whitebeastMKV

Ready to race!
Pressure plate is actaully an OEM Part for the TT-RS. "LUK"

ok, so does that mean that the FLYWHEEL and clutch disk from the TT-RS is actually smaller in diameter in order to fit this "modified pressure plate" or as you put it TT-RS pressure plate??

Maybe someone from HS tuning can chime in and actually tell us what this "magic" clutch kit is actually made of....LOL, like they would actually divulge their SECRET...NOT!!!!!

ok, so does that mean that the FLYWHEEL and clutch disk from the TT-RS is actually smaller in diameter in order to fit this "modified pressure plate" or as you put it TT-RS pressure plate??

Maybe someone from HS tuning can chime in and actually tell us what this "magic" clutch kit is actually made of....LOL, like they would actually divulge their SECRET...NOT!!!!!

I asked them too, but obviously they wouldnt tell (which is understandable). Based on the parts, my shop suspect the disk is from an A3 and the pressure plate is from TTRS.

Its their research and testing (R&D). They're great folks over there, and very helpful. As long as their kit holds its own, puts the power to the ground and will last -- that is the biggest thing. As their kit is priced more than or similar to SACHS SRE performance clutch kit. I have their kit and it works well and I'm happy so far.

I priced out OEM TT-RS Pressure plate (LUK) with a SACHE SRE disc and throw out bearing it is cheaper than their kit offerings, but reasons for it.

The OEM disc that comes with the TT-RS pressure plate will not fit due different spline count? (Could be wrong on this, based upon research)

I asked them too, but obviously they wouldnt tell (which is understandable). Based on the parts, my shop suspect the disk is from an A3 and the pressure plate is from TTRS.

Its their research and testing (R&D). They're great folks over there, and very helpful. As long as their kit holds its own, puts the power to the ground and will last -- that is the biggest thing. As their kit is priced more than or similar to SACHS SRE performance clutch kit. I have their kit and it works well and I'm happy so far.

I priced out OEM TT-RS Pressure plate (LUK) with a SACHE SRE disc and throw out bearing it is cheaper than their kit offerings, but reasons for it.

The OEM disc that comes with the TT-RS pressure plate will not fit due different spline count? (Could be wrong on this, based upon research)

Oh of course it takes modification in order to fit them into our cars, they did their R&D and obviously I think its the better option (why i bought their kit)

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
What is the extra "spider ring" on the RSR pressure plate? I have never seen that on a PP before. Is it some kind of positive throwout bearing stop?

Calkulin

Ready to race!
I'm glad someone brought this topic up as I was going to(I may still do a thread) uncover the truth about the RSR clutch and how it can be had for 1/2 the price. Also IMO, HS Tuning is using the wrong pressure plate(TT-RS) as VW(LuK) makes the same pressure plate(Golf R believe it or not) but with the correct width for the clutch plate they include. This also means that those Golf R's(& FSI's) that have the 06F 141 015 CX clutch kit can just upgrade their clutch plate with the Euro TDI's that they include, 03G 141 031 T and they will have the same performance as the RSR clutch kit. Here are some pics so you can see what I'm talking about

RSR pressure plate(polished to remove part #'s)

TT-RS pressure plate(shows stock clutch plate to show why it's smaller) - 07K 141 015 B/X

Golf R pressure plate - 06F 141 015 C/X

Last edited:

whitebeastMKV

Ready to race!
I'm glad someone brought this topic up as I was going to(I may still do a thread) uncover the truth about the RSR clutch and how it can be had for 1/2 the price. Also IMO, HS Tuning is using the wrong pressure plate(TT-RS) as VW(LuK) makes the same pressure plate(Golf R believe it or not) but with the correct width for the clutch plate they include. This also means that those Golf R's(& FSI's) that have the 06F 141 015 CX clutch kit can just upgrade their clutch plate with the Euro TDI's that they include, 03G 141 031 T and they will have the same performance as the RSR clutch kit. Here are some pics so you can see what I'm talking about

WOW, thx for the awesome INFO...i can't believe we've been had by HS tuning, ALL OF US THAT BOUGHT THE super expensive and Famous CLUTCH KIT with a supposedly "MODIFIED" pressure plate, when in fact is JUST the TT-RS pressure plate with removed/polished off part #'s.

...when in fact all i or ALL of us could have done is bought the PROPER pressure plate from the GOLF R (the right sized one) and a EURO TDI clutch disk and be done with it, and like YOU sad, all that for HALF the cost to what HS TUNING is charging for their FAMOUS clutch...what a bunch of BULL SHIT and scammers they are...

oh, well,i hope we're the last one's that HAVE BEEN HAD and others will buy the PROPER stuff elsewhere CHEAPER...

Last edited: