GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Say hello to the newly redesigned SPM MK5/6 Intercooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I think everyone is in for a big surprise....both on cost and performance

Good or bad? LOL

I mean, this is better than their old one (and almost a ground up rebuild new product rather than a minor modification to an old design it sounds like), it could go way up in price. APRs is what $1000? The old SPM was around $560? So the new one could be $800. :D

Who knows, well just wait and see.

Sounds like there should be a boatload of S3s and first gen SPMs flooding the market soon. :D

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Sounds like there should be a boatload of S3s and first gen SPMs flooding the market soon. :D

I bet you see close to zero 1st gen SPMs get sold for this. The 1st gen SPM is MORE than adequate for everything up to K04. Not even worth the time to pull the front end apart unless you are going big turbo, and even then I would assume that the 1st gen SPM is adequate at most power levels that we see with the TSI.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I bet you see close to zero 1st gen SPMs get sold for this. The 1st gen SPM is MORE than adequate for everything up to K04. Not even worth the time to pull the front end apart unless you are going big turbo, and even then I would assume that the 1st gen SPM is adequate at most power levels that we see with the TSI.

I agree it's adequate, but adequate doesn't satisfy a lot of people around here. A 200HP turbo'd hatchback is "adequate" and yet here we are with tunes and bigger turbos.

If the new core shows 10% increase over the old, I promise you at least 10% of current owners will upgrade. Whether it is needed or not is moot. :D

A_Bowers

Good or bad? LOL

I mean, this is better than their old one (and almost a ground up rebuild new product rather than a minor modification to an old design it sounds like), it could go way up in price. APRs is what $1000? The old SPM was around $560? So the new one could be $800. :D

Who knows, well just wait and see.

The Gen 1 unit was good...Steve said that this one is going to be amazingly priced and performs the same as others on the market.

He also said there should be no reason to pay what some have for another unit.

Like i said before on this subject, what they are going to put out is really going to make the market a competetive one.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
I agree it's adequate, but adequate doesn't satisfy a lot of people around here. A 200HP turbo'd hatchback is "adequate" and yet here we are with tunes and bigger turbos.

If the new core shows 10% increase over the old, I promise you at least 10% of current owners will upgrade. Whether it is needed or not is moot. :D

Soooo...you'll see maybe like 1 for sale?

ehancock

Ready to race!
I seriously hope pricing is close to/the same as the original. I was really planning on buying one in spring. It's always exciting to see new parts developed though!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Soooo...you'll see maybe like 1 for sale?

Tyler@DriveSPM

Ready to race!
Hey guys, all great points being brought up here - I will like to add however ; what's good is never good enough. Our V.1 core was surely more than adequate for power these cars are puting down at the moment, however if you are able to increase the charge window while maintaining minimal pressure drop across the core - why not? As the market for the TSI evolves and the quest for more power becomes a reality (even through our BT kit still in development - shamelss plug), supporting modifications need to be there.

HardCandy

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys, all great points being brought up here - I will like to add however ; what's good is never good enough. Our V.1 core was surely more than adequate for power these cars are puting down at the moment, however if you are able to increase the charge window while maintaining minimal pressure drop across the core - why not? As the market for the TSI evolves and the quest for more power becomes a reality (even through our BT kit still in development - shamelss plug), supporting modifications need to be there.

Will you be offering a software solution with your BT kit?

I really want to see a system by SPM that includes turbo hardware injectors/hpfp and tuning.

zhijjawi10

Go Kart Champion
Will you be offering a software solution with your BT kit?

I really want to see a system by SPM that includes turbo hardware injectors/hpfp and tuning.

SPM would be silly to not include software with their BT kit they're working on. Anyone can piece together a hardware kit, it's the tuning that's lacking. I'm sure SPM agrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.