GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Southbend Clutches

HSTuning

Ready to race!
Dave, you mention that the Stage 3 disk is being replaced with the Exedy disk. Does that mean the stage 3 drop-in disk is also now an Exedy unit? Or can someone else straighten me out here?

Also, very interested in how the TSI can forgo the pilot shaft in the manual and keep it in the DSG! Just want to get in on the thought process there. I'll probably never get it, but I can only imagine..

These parts are completely different than the Stage 3 drop in disk. Honestly, if you are any further along than a Stage 1 tune don't bother with the Stage 3 drop in disk as the real problem with the stock clutches is the weak pressure plate.

Part numbers and price?

Part numbers aren't available yet. These components will not be available to the masses until January 1. Until then things are considered on a case by case for warranty issues, but aren't available for new customers until the first of the year. Let me know if you are in the market, we can get one out to you as soon as they are available. Pricing for the new components will be the same as the prices for the old "Silent" types.

why doesnt exedy come out with their own kit?

Exedy is deep into the Asian OE and Performance market. They were excited to work with Southbend, but to the best of our knowledge will not be making complete kits for VW's per our conversation with the Southbend reps. It's kind of like us not expecting to see Sachs performance clutches in Hondas or Subarus any time soon.

Hopefully, I can bite on this soon!

If you can hold out for six weeks, we can get you the new parts. Our website will reflect these changes ASAP!

FLtrooper

Go Kart Champion
These parts are completely different than the Stage 3 drop in disk. Honestly, if you are any further along than a Stage 1 tune don't bother with the Stage 3 drop in disk as the real problem with the stock clutches is the weak pressure plate ASAP!

Dave, good information but what would you recommend for daily driven K04 power? I figured the s3 drop in was a solid option?

Thx

Last edited:

HSTuning

Ready to race!
Dave, good information but what would you recommend for daily driven K04 power? I figured the s3 drop in was a solid option?

Thx

I wouldn't use a Stage 3 drop in on a K04, the torque is too high for the stock pressure plate. I don't know which K04 you are using, but we noticed stock pressure plate or flywheel set ups were OK until APR found all that extra power in their last K04 software revision. I would honestly recommend the new Southbend Stage 3 daily with the Exedy disc. I didn't get to spend a ton of time driving on this clutch, or go to the track with it but it seems like the perfect compromise between torque holding capacity and drive-ability while being quiet enough for a single mass kit.

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion
This disc is better but the springs will still pop out and end up with disc failure , like mention above its vw thing no piot bearing supporting the transmission input shaft it deflects and it pushes the springs out. The only way your gonna get very low failure rate is cover over the disc springs on both sides IMO. I went through this with Spec clutch back in the day there responce it was. " install error " this was atleast 5 years ago then I got smart and moved to a replacement disc with covers from James @ FourSeasons 5 years or so later and 40-50K miles Stage 3 no failures. I think it was made by Clutch Net clutches they make a lot of the disc frames for other clutch manufactures. I see if I have a pic to post. Bob. G.

HSTuning

Ready to race!
This disc is better but the springs will still pop out and end up with disc failure , like mention above its vw thing no piot bearing supporting the transmission input shaft it deflects and it pushes the springs out. The only way your gonna get very low failure rate is cover over the disc springs on both sides IMO. I went through this with Spec clutch back in the day there responce it was. " install error " this was atleast 5 years ago then I got smart and moved to a replacement disc with covers from James @ FourSeasons 5 years or so later and 40-50K miles Stage 3 no failures. I think it was made by Clutch Net clutches they make a lot of the disc frames for other clutch manufactures. I see if I have a pic to post. Bob. G.

I believe the floating hubs in the new disks have re-designed retainers for the springs. That certainly was taken into consideration based on the previous problems. I obviously already talked about the input shaft / pilot bearing issue, but I believe this latest revision is going to be as good as it gets for non-pilot bearing design which is unfortunately what we are all forced to deal with as MK6 owners.

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
Dave, thanks a lot for doing all this research and reporting it to the community. You guys are bringing us lots of good info and solutions. I'm sure we'll be giving you lots of business in return!

HSTuning

Ready to race!
Dave, thanks a lot for doing all this research and reporting it to the community. You guys are bringing us lots of good info and solutions. I'm sure we'll be giving you lots of business in return!

We are really doing everything we can to be the guys you can count on for parts that work, not just parts. Most customers are surprised to find out how small we really are, and that we are doing things like this because we really are enthusiasts you can trust. I appreciate that our efforts are being noticed, and we hope to become THE go-to guys for your VW, Audi, Porsche goods.

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
We are really doing everything we can to be the guys you can count on for parts that work, not just parts. Most customers are surprised to find out how small we really are, and that we are doing things like this because we really are enthusiasts you can trust. I appreciate that our efforts are being noticed, and we hope to become THE go-to guys for your VW, Audi, Porsche goods.

:w00t::thumbsup::):thumbup:

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion

this is great. i need more shops like this around my area.

as far as revised kits goes, when will sb begin to sell these kits?

any info on pricing?

HSTuning

Ready to race!
this is great. i need more shops like this around my area.

as far as revised kits goes, when will sb begin to sell these kits?

any info on pricing?

January 1st for the new parts to be fully implemented.

Pricing will remain the same as the older silent versions.

OldDirty

Ready to race!

I've only ever read good things about your shop, and if I was ever going to get a k04 upgrade with intercooler and new clutch I would seriously consider driving all the way to your shop from WI :lol:

Thanks for helping to keep us all informed :thumbup:

Quick off topic question since it appears that there may actually be a quieter higher power holding clutch option out there now, what are your thoughts on going k04 but not doing any upgraded mounts or inserts to stay away from increased NVH? I only drive on the street but like to give it the beans pretty often. The only reason why I really don't want increased vibrations is because I hate interior trim rattles that may develop....my car is actually really quiet with no rattles or squeaks at the moment *knock on wood*.

Last edited:

HSTuning

Ready to race!
I've only ever read good things about your shop, and if I was ever going to get a k04 upgrade with intercooler and new clutch I would seriously consider driving all the way to your shop from WI :lol:

Thanks for helping to keep us all informed :thumbup:

Quick off topic question since it appears that there may actually be a quieter higher power holding clutch option out there now, what are your thoughts on going k04 but not doing any upgraded mounts or inserts to stay away from increased NVH? I only drive on the street but like to give it the beans pretty often. The only reason why I really don't want increased vibrations is because I hate interior trim rattles that may develop....my car is actually really quiet with no rattles or squeaks at the moment *knock on wood*.

The stock motor mounts are holding up pretty well with K04's. We've done more cars with stock mounts than aftermarket and haven't had any failures yet. Street cars seem to be fine with stock parts. I would worry about engine movement if you are drag racing, auto-crossing, or road racing. We recently dropped a line of performance mounts as they weren't holding up to our expectations, the stock parts were holding up to more abuse without failure.

I concern myself with NVH as well, but the one part that's really grown on me lately is the red HPA torque insert. You don't NEED it for a K04 but it is nice in situations where you would see severe wheel hop or engine movement.

twistid

Ready to race!
I wouldn't use a Stage 3 drop in on a K04, the torque is too high for the stock pressure plate. I don't know which K04 you are using, but we noticed stock pressure plate or flywheel set ups were OK until APR found all that extra power in their last K04 software revision. I would honestly recommend the new Southbend Stage 3 daily with the Exedy disc. I didn't get to spend a ton of time driving on this clutch, or go to the track with it but it seems like the perfect compromise between torque holding capacity and drive-ability while being quiet enough for a single mass kit.

I remember reading that the drop in disk with factory pressure plate was good up to 400lbs tq?? So your saying the stage 3 drop in is only good for stage 2 max??

HSTuning

Ready to race!
I remember reading that the drop in disk with factory pressure plate was good up to 400lbs tq?? So your saying the stage 3 drop in is only good for stage 2 max??

The friction material on that clutch might be good for 400 torque, but the factory pressure plate doesn't seem to hold APR K04 torque no matter the disc. We've taken out a lot of slipping clutches and the friction material is never glazed or heat damaged. The pressure plate friction face machine marks are always unscathed, leading us to the conclusion that the factory pressure plate has a point of give about 30-50 ft. lbs. lower than APR K04 torque. When we started installing K04's the stock clutches would ALMOST hold the power, then APR revised the software and the stock components didn't stand a chance. Southbend concedes that the factory pressure plate is the limitation on the drop-ins. They could use better friction material on those, but it wouldn't matter. My best guess? The 400 tq rating was a guess based on the friction material and prior knowledge of torque capacities.

We know that the GLI's seem to be holding K04 torque on the stock clutches in street application better than the GTI. Difference? Gearing. That leads us to believe that the stock pressure plate is very close to it's capacity limit. It's probably working for some, not for others being so close to max capacity. My best guess on an actual rating? 330-375. 330 with the stock disc, 375 with the drop in.

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
I have a southbend dxd stg 3 endurance, and it is LOUD.

I'll probably be visiting you guys next summer for a K04 install, and I'll have you take a look at my clutch...

I think I'd upgrade for $200.