GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sprint booster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
I really don't get how this thing works. The problem with the lag on our throttles is because of the drive by wire system, some people might need a sprint booster to do the work for them by simulating the pedal is being pushed further down (or you can save money and push it yourself) but still, the lag by the drive by wire system will still be there. Correct me if I'm wrong but the only real solution would be to switch to the mkv throttle system, don't know if it's possible though.

MasterKevin

Ready to race!
I really don't get how this thing works. The problem with the lag on our throttles is because of the drive by wire system, some people might need a sprint booster to do the work for them by simulating the pedal is being pushed further down (or you can save money and push it yourself) but still, the lag by the drive by wire system will still be there. Correct me if I'm wrong but the only real solution would be to switch to the mkv throttle system, don't know if it's possible though.

Thats really really really annoying .. Its the one thing that pisses me off all the time about the MK6 GTI in that little delay. my friends can get a car length ahead before my car decides to go.

chriz

0.5_Lambo

Ready to race!

Pretty technical thinking but it just takes much less effort to reach 50% throttle opening. The throttle is right at the tip of my pedal. It did take the lag away. Not 100% but when i step on it, it just goes. I'd deff get this if you have auto and if you have done a lot of mods to your car. This is like the cherry on top sort of thing once you're done with other mods. The only real solution to completely remove throttle lag would be a complete flash/tune....APR, C2...etc.

I've been driving around switching between 5-6. 7 is way too sensitive. All i can say is that i cant really drive the car in normal mode any more. Feels really lazy vs with the throttle controller on.

siagolf

Ready to race!
Pretty technical thinking but it just takes much less effort to reach 50% throttle opening. The throttle is right at the tip of my pedal. It did take the lag away. Not 100% but when i step on it, it just goes. I'd deff get this if you have auto and if you have done a lot of mods to your car. This is like the cherry on top sort of thing once you're done with other mods. The only real solution to completely remove throttle lag would be a complete flash/tune....APR, C2...etc.

I've been driving around switching between 5-6. 7 is way too sensitive. All i can say is that i cant really drive the car in normal mode any more. Feels really lazy vs with the throttle controller on.

the apr flash doesn't remove the drive-by-wire lag :(

MasterKevin

Ready to race!
Hi fm Singapore, Sprint Booster or SB is very common here. Used mainly on conti cars like Merc, BMW, VW, Audi, Mini etc. Its more useful on auto gearboxes. Also ok for manual cars.

There's a better and new product called Velocity. Do chk it out: http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/uuc-parts-wilman2772/32020-velocity-adjustable-throttle-booster.html

Sample vid: http://vimeo.com/8735270

I decided since i'm using a DSG i'd just shift down to S mode so i don't need the above. :thumbup:

this video is stupid when he suddenly decides to put the velocity on he shifts down to 4th and when he drives it normally he accelerates in 6th.

Of course the pull will be better on 4th lol lol retarded lol

Ben_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Direct plug n play. Once the instructions are followed that come with the kit you will be golden. Not sure if its the same for gti though. I got the paper in my car where it shows a list of cars that use the same harness as ours. Im pretty sure its the same though.

Hi, can you help me with a wiring question? After I connected the wiring, the control unit came on but did not recognize throttle input when I was making throttle setting. The car itself also did not register throttle input when I started the car. I am suspecting wrong wiring in the harness itself. Can you please look at the pic of my harness and see if wiring alignment matches yours?

The orange wire came disconnected. I connected it in the pic but I disconnected it again before install at the urging of the seller. Could the blue and yellow wires also possibly be crossed? Thanks for your help in advance

Attachments

• DSC00007.JPG
    DSC00007.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 214

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I didn't know they made the Sprint Booster for the GTI. I had one on my Mazda3 and it was great. It reduced shift lag and increased throttle response. It did well at enhancing drive ability, especially in the ATX and in city driving.

IDK if I would spend the money for in getting one for the GTI though.

JumpinJackFlak

Ready to race!
what about when the throttle is at 100% does it go farther to say 120% or does it just reach 100% quciker and pushing the throttle all the way is equal to pushing it 80%?

*Insert derogatory Spinal Tap comment here*

"Cant you just make ten louder?"

"... but this goes to 11"

0.5_Lambo

Ready to race!
Hi, can you help me with a wiring question? After I connected the wiring, the control unit came on but did not recognize throttle input when I was making throttle setting. The car itself also did not register throttle input when I started the car. I am suspecting wrong wiring in the harness itself. Can you please look at the pic of my harness and see if wiring alignment matches yours?

The orange wire came disconnected. I connected it in the pic but I disconnected it again before install at the urging of the seller. Could the blue and yellow wires also possibly be crossed? Thanks for your help in advance

Put the orange wire in and dont switch any other wire. The instructions have a procedure where you floor the accelerator and the car will tell the controller how much voltage it puts out so it knows how much to amplify back. I tried to run it without the orange wire at first too and my car went nuts. Read the instructions. I'm still running mine and works flawless.

Ben_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Put the orange wire in and dont switch any other wire. The instructions have a procedure where you floor the accelerator and the car will tell the controller how much voltage it puts out so it knows how much to amplify back. I tried to run it without the orange wire at first too and my car went nuts. Read the instructions. I'm still running mine and works flawless.

Thanks so much man. I'll do that tomorrow. The same guy that sold you the unit told me to leave the orange wire out :mad0259:

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
considered buying one for my mk4 vr6 to get rid of the DBW lag it had....instead I spent the same amount on a C2 chip which eliminated the DBW lag and had several other perks.

put the money towards a chip and you'll be happier at the end of the day

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Whether you like the results of these devices or not they cannot get rid of the lag. The lag is the time it takes the ecu to get the signal from the pedal and tell the TB to open. Putting in a device between the pedal and ecu can only slow this process down.

Also note that a modern drive by wire system does not work on a 1:1 scale for pedal vs throttle position. Your car straight from the factory already usually runs at a much higher throttle opening in many cases compared to the actual pedal position. It is not uncommon to log both positions and see that you are giving it 20% throttle but the throttle body is already open 40-50%. This is also important to understand in applications with DSGs or automatic which vary clutch and shifting line pressures based on throttle information and load. If you are giving it 20% throttle and expecting a nice soft "part throttle" shift but the throttle amplifier thing is telling the ecu that you are giving it 40% then the ecu tells the throttle body to open it 80% you can be in for some very rough shifts.

Many people don't also realize that many times drivability issues they experience have to do with what they think they are telling the car to do. By installing something that modifies the signal you have removed a huge amount of throttle control and often times can make the car harder and less pleasant to drive.

In many applications we actually do the opposite of what these devices do and retune the throttle to work 1:1 just like a cable throttle vehicle would be. This is separate from any dbw lag issues people notice and gives you as the driver back control over the throttle. For someone very use to the factory multiplication of throttle position it can feel awkward at first but if you give it a few days they always love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.