GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sprint booster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leiito1

Go Kart Champion
well... "Sprint Booster puts an end to your Golf-VI's poor performance once and for all." fukin sold....

Hellfish

REVO Stage 1 + Sprint Booster = Very happy GTi...

I was amazed at how much of an impact the Sprint Booster had on my car. It's night and day...no lag...lots of fun.

Anyone on the fence should try it (if possible?).

P

plac

hmm every time i see another good review of sprint booster i get a hair more tempted..

does it stick out like a big lump in your carpet?

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie
REVO Stage 1 + Sprint Booster = Very happy GTi...

I was amazed at how much of an impact the Sprint Booster had on my car. It's night and day...no lag...lots of fun.

Anyone on the fence should try it (if possible?).

hmm every time i see another good review of sprint booster i get a hair more tempted..

does it stick out like a big lump in your carpet?

Sprint Booster fits neatly in GTI's and does not have any "lump" whatsoever. The only connection is an inline connector to the top of the gas pedal. Very small, no bumps.

I've had it in my DSG + ARP Stage 2 for over a year with excellent results. Totally removes all DSG/throttle lag. Wonderful. Latest versions of SB have 3 positions - Off, 1, & 2, with a remote switcher. Very easy to select the right setting, although I leave mine on 1 most of the time. Setting 2 is explosive, but would be great for drag racing, I suppose.

When you first get it it takes a little while to get used to but then it's totally addicting. I could never imagine driving a car without it. I Love it.

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
Sprint Booster fits neatly in GTI's and does not have any "lump" whatsoever. The only connection is an inline connector to the top of the gas pedal. Very small, no bumps.

I've had it in my DSG + ARP Stage 2 for over a year with excellent results. Totally removes all DSG/throttle lag. Wonderful. Latest versions of SB have 3 positions - Off, 1, & 2, with a remote switcher. Very easy to select the right setting, although I leave mine on 1 most of the time. Setting 2 is explosive, but would be great for drag racing, I suppose.

When you first get it it takes a little while to get used to but then it's totally addicting. I could never imagine driving a car without it. I Love it.

I have been driving mine for 8 month,i switch it off for a day and BOY was it slow in responding,switch it to green and my face smiled again.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
The Sprint booster CANNOT do anything to make the throttle respond faster. It is IMPOSSIBLE for it to do so, it can't get the signal from the pedal to the ecu any faster.

It can only send a different pedal position signal to the ecu nothing more. You can do 100% the same thing with your right foot.

If you like it fine, not saying it does nothing, but it doesn't do anything you cannot do yourself.

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie
The Sprint booster CANNOT do anything to make the throttle respond faster. It is IMPOSSIBLE for it to do so, it can't get the signal from the pedal to the ecu any faster.

Bullsh*t! Of course it can. It amplifies the throttle pedal electrical signal signal so the throttle plate moves faster per movement of the gas pedal. It send MORE signal to the throttle plate motor per gas pedal movement than stock = faster.

The effect the car moves quicker as if if you gave it more right foot, which you could do yourself but now it is done electronically for you.

Throttle accelerators like the Sprint Booster have been around for years in BMW M cars and certain Porsche models.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Its just an altered TPS curve no? Not more signal, just narrows the band so you spend more time in more throttle opening than stock...

What does that do to gas mileage?

Also do you not lose a bit on the fidelity of your throttle modulation?

Last edited:

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie
What does that do to gas mileage?

Also do you not lose a bit on the fidelity of your throttle modulation?

You get used to it, so no it doesn't really effect mileage much. Basically it just removes a ton of wasted motion from your right foot. And when you need some acceleration it happens faster due to quicker foot to throttle response time. The car is more responsive to gas pedal...it feels very nice vs. without it.

I was skeptical at first myself...then I tried it and fell in love...now when I turn the SB off the car feels relatively lifeless....switch it on...back to zoom, zoom.

The car drives sharper, crisper, it's more responsive like "the best tune-up you have ever had"...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
You get used to it, so no it doesn't really effect mileage much. Basically it just removes a ton of wasted motion from your right foot. And when you need some acceleration it happens faster due to quicker foot to throttle response time. The car is more responsive to gas pedal...it feels very nice vs. without it.

I was skeptical at first myself...then I tried it and feel in love...now when I turn the SB off the car feels relatively lifeless....switch it on...back to zoom, zoom.

The car drives sharper, crisper, it's more responsive like "the best tune-up you have ever had"...:thumbsup:

I couldn't agree more.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, +1

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Bullsh*t! Of course it can. It amplifies the throttle pedal electrical signal signal so the throttle plate moves faster per movement of the gas pedal. It send MORE signal to the throttle plate motor per gas pedal movement than stock = faster.

The effect the car moves quicker as if if you gave it more right foot, which you could do yourself but now it is done electronically for you.

Throttle accelerators like the Sprint Booster have been around for years in BMW M cars and certain Porsche models.

I don't think you fully understand how electronic throttle works.

When you press the throttle pedal down it sends a signal to the ecu about how far you pushed it based on a scale of 0-5 volts. The ecu then takes this information and it says ok the guy wants go to slow, sort quick, maybe fast, really fast etc. From that it says ok to go slow I need X amount of torque to go a little faster I need X plus a bit more torque. It then says ok to do this I need to run Y amount of boost and Z amount of timing etc etc. So to get that I need to open the the throttle N%.

Basically there is NO direct correlation between how far you push the pedal and how much the throttle opens. The throttle opens based on a calculated torque request the ecu thinks you want based on how far you press the pedal down. You can press the throttle 10% down and get it to open 100% you can press the pedal 100% down and get it to open 10%, it all varies depending on load, ambient conditions, and dozens of other factors.

Now what you called bullshit on, sorry but I was right. This devices CANNOT make the throttle respond faster. The only thing it can do is in some situations cause the throttle to open more than it would have without it. This is NOT increase how quickly it responds or what is often called throttle response. If you press the pedal 10% and it takes 5ms for the ecu to get that signal 5ms for the ecu to figure out what you want and 5ms for the ecu to send that signal to the actual throttle body it takes 15ms total. If you install a device in the middle of this you press the throttle 10% it takes 5ms for the device to get the info, it takes 5ms for the device to do its thing with that info. It takes 5ms for the ecu to get the signal, then 5ms for it to do its thing and 5ms to get the signal to the throttle body. You now have a total of 25ms. (numbers are made up for the example). Based on these fake number ADDING a device into the system actually has added over 65% more to the time it takes fro you pressing the pedal to actually opening the throttle body. While the numbers are made up it still is a realistic example as ADDING an electronic device will actually only slow down the actual response time. Even if it adds no time it is IMPOSSIBLE that it will shorten the response time so claiming it gives you better throttle response is not correct.

You can press the pedal another 50% further quicker than this device can alter the signal and send it to the ecu. There is nothing this device does that you cannot do with your foot.

Again if you like how it makes things feel that is fine and great that is your opinion and 100% valid. However these devices cannot make for faster throttle response it is impossible. This device only tells the ecu you pressed the pedal further than you actually did and it is still up to the ecu to determine what it wants to do with that signal.

If we are going to assume for a second that throttle was 1:1 stock and not interpretted by the ecu based on the conditions there is nothing this device can do that you are incapable of doing yourself. If you actually want the throttle open 50% press the pedal 50%, if you want it 100% just press the pedal 100% and save hundreds of dollars.

One of the biggest complaints people have about drive by wire is how the throtte doesn't actually do what you tell it to and the slow response time. This device makes both of those worse.

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie
I don't think you fully understand how electronic throttle works.

Yes, I do.

The function of the gas pedal in a car is to connect the right foot to the engines throttle. This is done mechanically or electronically. Devices that modify mechanical throttles are cams and linkage bellcranks. They quicken the opening of the throttle so that, as an example: 1" of gas pedal now opens the throttle equal to what 2" of gas pedal did before.

The Sprint Booster works the same way, just electronically:

One of the biggest complaints people have about drive by wire is how the throtte doesn't actually do what you tell it to and the slow response time.

Agreed. The Sprint Booster electronically 'shortens or tightens' the gas pedal. The effect is the car (throttle) is more responsive to the pedal. I agree that the 'reaction time' is probably the same, but the amount of throttle opening to amount of pedal depression is definitely NOT the same:

Basically it just removes a ton of wasted motion from your right foot. And when you need some acceleration it happens faster due to quicker foot to throttle response time. The car is more responsive to gas pedal...it feels very nice vs. without it.

This device makes both of those (throttle doesn't actually do what you tell it to and the slow response time) worse.

You seem to be confusing 'Reaction Time' with 'Response Time'.

Reaction Time, the time it takes for movement of the gas pedal to open the throttle is not changed by the Sprint Booster.

Response time is the time it takes for a movement of the gas pedal to cause the car to actually accelerate is quickened because the throttle is opened further sooner.

Example: Two cars accelerating from a stop. In one the throttle is gently applied, in the other the throttle is fully depressed. Both cars will probably 'break the beam' at the same time (Reaction Time), but the full throttled car will accelerate faster (Response Time).

The Sprint Booster shortens or quickens the Response Time. And sure you can do the same thing with your foot but, just like power steering, once you 'get used to it' you may never want to go back to 'before'.

I bought my SB very skeptical of it's usefulness, but since it was sold with a money back satisfaction guarantee, I tried it and really like it, especially whenever I turn it off and notice how my drove 'before'.

IMO- For 'fun cars' like the GTI, the Sprint Booster is a worthwhile improvement to their driving characteristics, plus I notice that BMW M cars and many Porches have similar devices stock. Coincidence?

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Throttle response is generally considered in this industry as the time it takes for the car to do what you tell it to do. I am not confusing reaction time and throttle response because they are essentially one in the same. This is exactly why I was trying to explain what this thing can and cannot due without changing the definition of common terms.

Throttle response is not changed or improved with this device because throttle response is the time it takes the car to react and the SB does nothing to change that.

The only thing this does is tell the car to do more then you told it, if you like what this does fine, I said that from the beginning. However it is a disservice to the members here to misrepresent what this product does, it helps no one to make this into something it can't be. It is perfectly acceptable for me or anyone else to explain that this does nothing then what you can do with your right foot for free. If you enjoy having the throttle opened more... press the pedal further.

Your experience is that you like it and that is fine. I have a friend who actually pulled over screaming while testing driving one telling another friend to get it out as quickly as possibly because he thought it felt so bad and the lack of control was not something he liked.

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie
...it is a disservice to the members here to misrepresent what this product does, it helps no one to make this into something it can't be.

Chris,

You don't like it, OK...we get the it...let it go. But, I certainly have not misrepresented what the Sprint Booster does so why are you making statements like this?

Meanwhile, lots of people love the Sprint Booster. Sure in theory they could do the same thing with their right foot...but with the Sprint Booster YOU DON'T HAVE TO. That's the cool part!

How It Works

Sprint Booster modifies the signal between the accelerator pedal module and the electronic throttle body. This modified signal forces the throttle body to open 'more' than the stock signal at a given pedal position. In effect, the idle-to-full-throttle pedal travel is reduced. This makes your car 'feel' more powerful because a given pedal input produces greater throttle opening. This is especially evident in the low to mid rpm range where most cars spend their time on the street.

Sprint Booster simply modifies the throttle signal between the accelerator pedal and the throttle body. Big deal right? Keep in mind, this is the same concept as the 'throttle pulley' modification on cable based throttle systems - which was very popular in it's time. It doesn't add horsepower, but makes the throttle more sensitive and makes the car 'feel' faster.

It doesn't matter if you have a Sport Mode, ECU software, or 'Chip' on your car, Sprint Booster works independently of other modifications. It simply makes the throttle more sensitive, making the car 'feel' faster.

Is Sprint Booster for everyone? Of course not, no performance product ever is. If you have a track car where you spend most of your time near redline, Sprint Booster is not for you - Sprint Booster benefits are felt in the low to mid pedal travel. Some people don't like the fact that Sprint Booster reaches full throttle before full pedal travel - if you routinely mash the throttle to the floor, Sprint Booster may not be for you.

Sprint Booster is most effective in the low to mid rpm range, which is where most 'street' cars are driven on a daily basis. Yes, you may need to adjust your driving style after installing Sprint Booster - but that is a short learning curve.

Sprint Booster is simple but effective - it makes the car more responsive and thus more 'fun'! This is why the product carries a 30-day money back guarantee.

Status
Not open for further replies.