GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TheGTIChannel's Candy White (Mk6) GTI Journal

GTINAPLES

Ready to race!
Had the car lowered to 24.5" all around. Did the front, but the rear was a real pain so I just let Butler Tire handle it. It involved taking off the rear control arm so that the coils could be lowered without risking damaged to the threads from the pressure. For $25 a corner it wasn't too bad.

The alignment was a little more expensive at $135.. ($15 surcharge for lowered cars), but it was more than time for one anyway. Haven't had it aligned in over a year (13k miles). The shop gave me a free spline drive key since I lost mine so yay for that :thumbup:. It doesn't take much to make my day.

Here is my before and after sheet. The shop chose not too mess with the front camber because it would have required a subframe shift (at an extra fee) and a great deal of pain with the rather large SPM sway bar. It's not too bad so for now, I can live with it.

I'm also dealing with a bit of condensation in my left headlight. Hopefully it goes away in a few days like the owner's manual says it will. If anyone knows of a quick way to get rid of it, please share :iono:.

Make sure the rubber seal on back of headlight is all the way on. But in the mean time take the rubber cover off and let it air out and it goes away faster. Then when you put the rubber cover back on make sure it is tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TheGTIChannel

Ready to race!
Make sure the rubber seal on back of headlight is all the way on. But in the mean time take the rubber cover off and let it air out and it goes away faster. Then when you put the rubber cover back on make sure it is tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Worked great, thanks.
Now I have little water marks inside the headlights though...
another problem for another day...

TheGTIChannel

Ready to race!
Road Trip!!

Sunday I went on a road trip that stretched from the twisties above Dahlonega, GA to the Cherohala Skyway, and finally ending with a couple runs on Tail of the Dragon in NC/TN. I had two friends in the car, so while I was weighed down, it wasn't too bad.

Best of all.....the cars I would be traveling with:

We encountered very little traffic on the Skyway and I personally preferred that bit of the trip over Tail of the Dragon. I started at the very back, as to avoid breaking up the beautiful line of Porsches, but soon started to climb up and up in the line. As it turns out, a well-driven GTI can outdo its quad-exhaust cousin when the 911 driven by a more conservative driver or an older gentleman ;).

Here are the two videos I grabbed on Cherohala Skyway. The first one was behind a 991s and the second behind a 996 Turbo:

Tail of the Dragon was less fun :rolleyes:. We were only able to go for two runs due to approaching rain, and the previously mentioned "older gentleman," driving the convertible 911 so desperatly wanted to be on video that he did not let me pass him despite the fact that I motioned to let me pass. :mad0259: As you can see though, the run was slower than it could have been

Plus side of TotD? Killboy's pictures :D

Overall, awesome trip :thumbup: until today's engine problems that probably resulted from our little excursion.....more on that when I find out what the problem is.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
I wonder..

How wide are your wheels and did you roll the fenders?

My car is 1/4" higher than yours all around and with tracking i would expect my 8.5"/225s to rub!

Sent from my iPhone with typos

TheGTIChannel

Ready to race!
I wonder..

How wide are your wheels and did you roll the fenders?

My car is 1/4" higher than yours all around and with tracking i would expect my 8.5"/225s to rub!

Sent from my iPhone with typos

They're 8.5"/225 as well. My fenders aren't rolled but I did the front fender screw "mod". So far no rubbing. I did bottom out on some of those super tight turns on TotD. :laugh:

TheGTIChannel

Ready to race!
Found a picture I like on Killboy's website :D.

Me stuck behind that convertible on the Dragon. The reason for all the frustration is that we drove hundreds of miles and only did 2 runs (because of rain) and I was stuck behind him for both of those runs :mad0259:

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
They're 8.5"/225 as well. My fenders aren't rolled but I did the front fender screw "mod". So far no rubbing. I did bottom out on some of those super tight turns on TotD. :laugh:

Did the screw mod and cut sections from the plastic liner where it rubbed..

I rub on the slightest dip/mis-perfection I hit when I turn quick lol

You must have silk roads!

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
Nice pictures. Your car looks great as well :thumbsup: