GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

andy_uranium's build thread

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
Car is looking great. Did you go with the tinted tails?

If you are still interested in wheels, my buddy has his bbs co's for sale.

Thanks. I did go with the tinted tails, really just getting started, feel very slow in the moding compared to most here. I got the windows tinted a week or so ago.
30 percent Lluminar metallic. Springs next and rear sway bar. Also going with the color matched side markers.

I'll post new pics tomorrow once I give it a bath.

What size CO's? Price? Close up picks?

Last edited:

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
Last edited:

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
Finally got around to taking a couple of quick pics... a few minor modifcaitons.
color matched side markers - thanks to John@FTC5

30% metallic Lluminar tint done at Tint factory in London, ON... did a great job.

Forum Vinyl .... car was just washed before a major thunderstorm car is still drying and the back trim looks all splochy in this one... the red 6 really stand out.. the rest is very subtle.

Still thinking about getting CH's but I think in Silver... that or some used LM's, OZ Futruas RS-GTs etc ... been cruising MemoryFab, VWVortex Marketplace and VRWheels... been debating on the merits of new vs used wheels.. most of the ones that i'd like need refinishing, and I'm not sure who does that kind of work around me. I am also thinking of the road less traveled and getting a set of wheels from Compomotive, through 1552. We'll see hopefully I'll be able to pick up some wheels from someone trying to unload them after the show season is done.
I am also researching lowering springs or coilovers.. I will probably pick up everything over the fall and winter ready for install first thing in the spring.

I have also recently bought a Ross Tech Cable... haven't had a chance to get in there and play with it yet though. Need to still fix the coding for the tails, one reverse light stays on all the time, and I am getting frustrated by people pulling up next to me telling me I have a reverse light on. Plan on doing the gauge sweep, auto windows etc.

Down the road I am going to do the Stage 1 flash, probably through APR as there is a dealer right across the border from me.

Last edited:

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
Unibrace XB soon to be on the way, joined the group buy. I think I am going to hold off to the spring for wheels, suspension and summer performance tires.

Last edited:

Nimche

Go Kart Champion
Nice stuff. Side marker looks part of the car. Did you stop modding your car? It has been a few months now.

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
No...I am still in process. Did the red led footlight mod a while ago and I have the OEM front lip spoiler and unibrace XB waiting for install. I have a set of DG springs on order and I will be ordering wheels any day now. This winter has been a bitch, I have been crazy busy at work and working most weekends, what free time I have I try to spend with the wife and our dogs. My brother and I are going to install everything over a weekend early in the spring. He has access to an incredible shop so hopefully I'll have an update soon.

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
I am expecting probably, after they settle, a FTG measurement of approx. 25.5" which is approx. what others have been seeing. I am not sure , as others have suggested, if the Canadian spec GTIs are higher than the US but I will be glad to reduce the wheel gap. I seriously considered Coilovers but I would want some high quality ones, I was looking at KW or Vogtlands, but with the quality of the roads in MI where I drive regularly, I felt i'd have to be too low to have a comfortable ride, which would make me drive too conservatively which is the opposite effect of what I am looking for. Gunkatas and Snobrdrdan's experiences with the DG springs in similar climates and with similar goals are what finally sold me on the DG springs as the solution for me. I will post some pics once i get them installed.