GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

bogging inbetween shifts

squall

Ready to race!
hey,

so i have a 2012 gti with an apr stage 2 tune and my cars seems to bog down between shifts when at WOT. i notice it most between 3-4. i thought that maybe my clutch was slipping a bit, but when i shift, the rpms dont rev up like in a normal clutch slippping situation. it almost feels like your trying to accelerate in 5th when you should be in 2nd, but after a few seconds, it accelerates like it should.
another example would be when i would shift my subaru with a gt30 and the turbo would have to spool since it was so big, but i'm sure thats not the case with the k03.
i've only had on experience where this didnt happen. is this related to the tunes on these cars? thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated.

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
Happens on my car too. Currently running apr ko4 v2 software. Its an issue with the throttlebody not reacting to the throttle input. Ill see if i can find the thread where someone did a real extensive vag com logging session to show it

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!

drepai

Go Kart Champion
I dealt with this exact issue for over a year, I tried EVERYTHING and continued to have the same problem when I was stage 2 and k04. Turns out the issue was software related, switched to GIAC and now it's 100% resolved. I'm coming from custom tuning btw, I've heard of it happening with other canned tunes though. Try contacting APR I'm sure they will work with you.

ehancock

Ready to race!
I had the same issue from stock to stage 2. When I installed my k04 I also had the clutch and the dual mass flywheel swapped out and with a southbend clutch and single mass lighter flywheel and no bogs between shifts anymore. I assumed it was due to the dmfw

drepai

Go Kart Champion
I have similar issues stage ii Apr '12 gti
Interesting. Never heard of this happening with a dsg.
I had the same issue from stock to stage 2. When I installed my k04 I also had the clutch and the dual mass flywheel swapped out and with a southbend clutch and single mass lighter flywheel and no bogs between shifts anymore. I assumed it was due to the dmfw
Not true, I had this problem before and after installing a southbend clutch+smf. Like I said it's software related.

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
Try a throttle body alignment just for the heck of it. Maybe it'll help. Is it just a delay in power or actual bogging, like a misfire feeling?

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Try a throttle body alignment just for the heck of it. Maybe it'll help. Is it just a delay in power or actual bogging, like a misfire feeling?

I get it to it's annoying as fuck. It's not bogging or misfire feeling. It is like the throttle body just isn't opening and you fly forward in your seat because your expecting the car to accelerate and pull you back but it doesn't until you let up a little on the pedal.

FL_GTI

Ready to race!
One of the first things I noticed about this car; was hoping APR stage 1 would cure this problem but it's still there.. Definitely not related to the heavy factory DMFW either as I've swapped out to a full ClutchMaster's FX350 kit. Like a slight hesitation in throttle response or a dialed in boost cut to relieve hard shifts? Whatever it is, I can live with it, just wish WOT shifts were more responsive and the power instantaneous as it should be with a baby snail.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
It basically feels like your foot is not on the throttle even though you have it pinned all the way to the floor. When you lift a bit and get back on it the power comes back... it doesn't happen every time but when it does it's EXTREMELY annoying. I was actually debating trading in my car because I couldn't really enjoy it with this happening all the time. I tried getting a new maf, switching intakes, and so on but nothing seemed to work. I ran a few logs and found nothing even though the problem occurred while I was running logs. Luckily I was using a custom tune at this time so I was able to pinpoint the problem.

The problem occurred from the time I was flashed with stage 1 all the way to the first version of my custom k04 tune. Just to clarify I had quite a few revisions of my custom k04 tune before I switched to GIAC. The second version of my tune was much more mild than the first version and it completely fixed the problem. I used the second version for about three months and the problem did not occur once. I then had my tuner flash me with a slightly more aggressive file and the problem came back.... there was NO switch in hardware, only software. I'm not sure exactly what changed from the second to third version of the tune but whatever it was it DID cause the problem. After I ditched my custom tune and went with GIAC the issue was resolved even though the GIAC tune is much more aggressive and makes much more power than the previous one. I can finally enjoy my car again:D.

Bottom line is that this is a software related issue and you guys should get in contact with your tuners because they're the ones that can help you.

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
I had this issue from stage1 until recently even after stage2. I had apr stage1 for a while and everything was good, then bsh came out with their intake (tsi's were new), so I bought one. The day I put it on is when I started having this issue.. wind it up pretty good in 3rd, shift to 4th, and it would just sit there and slowly climb rpms. If I let off, and got back into it, it would be like nothing ever happened. I did eventually go stage2 and even changed my intake to a carbonio setup, and I still had the issue. Also changed clutches, and I still had it (even though some said theirs went away).

I was able to capture what it did on vagcom, and graph it.. I've posted this before on here I'm sure:

What it's doing is after the throttle slams shut, it doesn't reopen like it should.. your tps is at 100%, but the throttle plate is at like 20%. If you let off and get back on, it's fine, but this time I just kept my foot to the floor to see what it did, and it eventually ramped back up to normal. That was the only time I had a vagcom attached, and was logging anything.

I recently noticed that since I've installed my methanol injection system, I haven't had the issue. I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence or what, but I'll take it.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
I had this issue from stage1 until recently even after stage2. I had apr stage1 for a while and everything was good, then bsh came out with their intake (tsi's were new), so I bought one. The day I put it on is when I started having this issue.. wind it up pretty good in 3rd, shift to 4th, and it would just sit there and slowly climb rpms. If I let off, and got back into it, it would be like nothing ever happened. I did eventually go stage2 and even changed my intake to a carbonio setup, and I still had the issue. Also changed clutches, and I still had it (even though some said theirs went away).

I was able to capture what it did on vagcom, and graph it.. I've posted this before on here I'm sure:

What it's doing is after the throttle slams shut, it doesn't reopen like it should.. your tps is at 100%, but the throttle plate is at like 20%. If you let off and get back on, it's fine, but this time I just kept my foot to the floor to see what it did, and it eventually ramped back up to normal. That was the only time I had a vagcom attached, and was logging anything.

I recently noticed that since I've installed my methanol injection system, I haven't had the issue. I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence or what, but I'll take it.
Interesting... it kept on happening to me after I installed my water/meth kit:iono:

FL_GTI

Ready to race!
Interesting... it kept on happening to me after I installed my water/meth kit:iono:

I wonder if it's just an actual design flaw of throttle delay and lagged actuation? We need one of the tuning companies to step in and explain as I'm sure this is not the first they've heard of this issue... Where's Arin@APR and the GIAC/Uni guys!?