GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

$50K budget...what would you get?

Bose

Ready to race!

Bose

Ready to race!
So I walked away, just to clear my head if nothing else. They won't budge on the sticker. $49,600 out the door. This one comes with Nav and Driver assist.

That may be the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on. How they are getting that much power out of a 2.0L amazes me. Plus with 4 pulling wheels I'd expect a big power fall-off, but this thing pulls like a train. DSG is fast shifting and has the burp on WOT. 3 driving modes, but I don't think I'd ever put it in Comfort. It's not a quiet car. Interior is top notch. Displays are all very nice. Engine noise is worse than my GTI. That's the only thing that surprised me on start up. Back seat is actually usable. Stereo is fantastic.

Thanks for the pic assist Troy. My phone wasn't doing very well posting the pic.

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
So I walked away, just to clear my head if nothing else. They won't budge on the sticker. $49,600 out the door. This one comes with Nav and Driver assist.

That may be the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on. How they are getting that much power out of a 2.0L amazes me. Plus with 4 pulling wheels I'd expect a big power fall-off, but this thing pulls like a train. DSG is fast shifting and has the burp on WOT. 3 driving modes, but I don't think I'd ever put it in Comfort. It's not a quiet car. Interior is top notch. Displays are all very nice. Engine noise is worse than my GTI. That's the only thing that surprised me on start up. Back seat is actually usable. Stereo is fantastic.

Thanks for the pic assist Troy. My phone wasn't doing very well posting the pic.
$49k!!! you can get almost get a S4 no?

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
Drive the M235 before settling on the Audi.
This. I drove the 228I M package at BMW driving experience, it handles so well I just love it. the option M brakes is really nice, the best thing is how much control you can get out of that car.

and then I drove the Z4 35is.... that sound...

D Griff

Go Kart Champion

I'm glad you walked away, I'm sure it's an awesome car, but try everything else on your list before you seal the deal. I mean, you're basically buying the best GTI in the world for $50k, which is fine but you already have a GTI. I think as a second car something a little more exotic would be pretty neat personally. That said if you try everything else out and the S3 is what moves you, buy it!

Bose

Ready to race!
Griff, that's pretty funny. When I got home I told my wife "that S3 is just a 2015 version of my GTI with leather and DSG."

That's kind of how I feel 3 hrs later and having drove my GTI home from work. It's a GTI that is a sedan with leather, DSG, all wheel drive and K04.

If the new Golf R is going to be anything like the S3, it's going be a beast at much less cost.

On to the next candidate, M235i tomorrow.

Edit: as far as keeping the GTI, my kids are begging for it.

Last edited:

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Griff, that's pretty funny. When I got home I told my wife "that S3 is just a 2015 version of my GTI with leather and DSG."

That's kind of how I feel 3 hrs later and having drove my GTI home from work. It's a GTI that is a sedan with leather, DSG, all wheel drive and K04.

If the new Golf R is anything like the S3, it's gonna be a beast at much less cost.

:word:

Glad you thought it all through and are continuing on with the search. The S3 will always be there. And yeah, the R will be a hatch version for $10k less with a manual option.

KOA789

Go Kart Champion
If your knees are good and don't have trouble getting in and out of a car, and it's your only ride, S4 all the way. If you need an easy vehicle to get into, SRT Jeep.

Jaxper

Go Kart Champion

If the new Golf R is going to be anything like the S3, it's going be a beast at much less cost.

Edit: as far as keeping the GTI, my kids are begging for it.

If my MK7 GTI is an indication, the MK7 R is going to be one hell of a car. I wish I could have held out for it but my cheap, temp car was anything but that. That being said, I'm still very happy with my new GTI!