GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Smartphone Thread

whitegti6

Ready to race!
So, one part of your argument is that you couldn't play your stolen property in some instance? I think I would have kept that to myself, even on the internet. All of your credibility and integrity has left the building......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shini

Go Kart Champion
So, one part of your argument is that you couldn't play your stolen property in some instance? I think I would have kept that to myself, even on the internet. All of your credibility and integrity has left the building......

That's MY experience. My mom for instance, has a bunch of old CD's. She used iTunes to convert them to mp3 to put on her iPhone, all legitimate purchases, just done well before the iPod was around.

What happend when she got her new computer? Those songs didn't transfer over. And when she upgraded to her iPhone 5? She lost them all, becuase iPhone only transfers what you paid them to keep. She'd thrown a majority of those discs away thinking "Oh wow technology is great! I'll never need these again!" And now she's finding herself having to pick and chose which songs to download every month or so when she's paid so she can restore her collection to what it was.

Again, apple sucks bawls.

Just because I downloaded music illegally god, what, it's been 10 years ago? Maybe 8 for some songs, makes that argument completely moot and invalid and I lose all credibility?

Riiiiiiight...

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion

get over yourself. I have illegally downloaded something in my life.. .damn I guess my integrity is gone.. I better never show my face again... Better yet I better run, there are definitely internet police out there coming to arrest me right now.

Shini - Ill respond to you later on (leaving from work now and I have a couple points to make against yours, although I agree with most of it)

Last edited:

Shini

Go Kart Champion
get over yourself. I have illegally downloaded something in my life.. .damn I guess my integrity is gone.. I better never show my face again... Better yet I better run, there are definitely internet police out there coming to arrest me right now.

Shini - Ill respond to you later on (leaving from work now and I have a couple points to make against yours, although I agree with most of it)

Right? RIGHT? I mean it is illegal but I mean c'mon...losing all credibility? lol...

Sounds good, I look forward to it, I'm sure you can enlighten me on a lot of things that may have changed, as you can see it's been awhile since I've had an iPhone. I did have iPhone envy for a hot minute when I had my Motorola Atrix HD phone, thought about reconverting back! Just couldn't take the dive again. At that point I had bought a lot of songs and apps through the playstore so I'm sort of "pot committed"

Oh and I had found out that Ventrilo had an android app, and that wasn't available on the iPhone at the time. Infact, iPhone I think in the 3G (pre-3GS) had one but it was removed because the app developer put in for it to have higher privileges/access than what Apple thought was deemed necessary.

So, stuff like that in a nutshell is why I dislike Apple, not the iPhone.

Soflogtimk6

Go Kart Champion
Shini I pretty much agree with everytthing your saying. I've had the iPhone 2g,4 and 5. When I switched to Android I had the galaxy nexus my least favorite piece of shit. Also the s3 s4 and now htc one. Samsung does pack a lot of useless features. The new sense ui looks so much more grown up and mature than ugly touchwiz. Boomsound is awesome and I love the hardware and premium feel of the htc one. Definitely my favorite phone. Although the specs are lower than the s4 it seems faster cause there is less touchwiz bloat. Can't wait to see the m8. HTC is way underrated.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
Ya i totally agree that's why I said I see where you are coming from BUT

speed between 2 phones is milliseconds and seriously not a factor. I really could care less if you phone can pull up a webpage .1 seconds faster than mine. Hell even 1 second isn't going to be an issue. With a car on the other hand, speed can vary greatly and really influence what you buy. It could be the difference between buying a 2.5l and a GTI for example.

Fuel economy - again could be the difference between spending $100 a month on gas and $400 a month on gas. With a phone its a difference of charging phone at 8 or 8:30... either way when used in the exact same way they will die relatively close to each other.

You see where I am going with this. To be honest the difference between all these smart phones are so small that the only thing left to argue is personal preference where as with a car your variations are so much greater.

I'll clarify.

Speed - Could be the wireless radio, processor, or gpu. Have you ever had a phone that had really bad video lag after a year or so? Software changes and hardware has a hard time keeping up. Or if it was only 3g. Also, some newer phones have really noticeable video lag, which is strange, considering how powerful the hardware is. Just a lack of optimization. I'm a big fan of that. If I were to go Android, I'd want a Moto X for that reason.

For fuel economy, I mean how long can this phone last me on a single charge? I had a Galaxy Nexus and it would last about 7-9 hours on an extended battery. Not really acceptable for me. My current phone can go 24-36 hours, unless I'm hammering on it. Even then, it'll last an entire day without worrying. I'm hoping that battery efficiency continues to be a priority with engineering.

But I think you are correct in saying that the differences are small. They're getting smaller too as time goes on.

Edit: also, my phone is better than your phone.

Last edited:

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Shini I pretty much agree with everytthing your saying. I've had the iPhone 2g,4 and 5. When I switched to Android I had the galaxy nexus my least favorite piece of shit. Also the s3 s4 and now htc one. Samsung does pack a lot of useless features. The new sense ui looks so much more grown up and mature than ugly touchwiz. Boomsound is awesome and I love the hardware and premium feel of the htc one. Definitely my favorite phone. Although the specs are lower than the s4 it seems faster cause there is less touchwiz bloat. Can't wait to see the m8. HTC is way underrated.

Well, the S4 and HTC One have the same CPU in them, so you could OC it if you wanted. I have mine OC'd to 2.1 for funsies. lol.

I don't know how much experience you have with rooting and flashing roms, but Google Edition ROM by SiNLess is awesome. I love this phone even more now.

I don't know if they officially rolled out Sense 5.5 out yet either, but I had a ROM that had that on it, and it was BOSS. I struggled between that and Google Edition for awhile on which I liked more, then 4.4 hit and it was a no brainer (for me)

Feels hella premium, and boomsound is legit.

But yeah, HTC One is awesome. I like your style too...I can't wait for the m8 either ;)

Shini

Go Kart Champion
I'll clarify.

Speed - Could be the wireless radio, processor, or gpu. Have you ever had a phone that had really bad video lag after a year or so? Software changes and hardware has a hard time keeping up. Or if it was only 3g. Also, some newer phones have really noticeable video lag, which is strange, considering how powerful the hardware is. Just a lack of optimization. I'm a big fan of that. If I were to go Android, I'd want a Moto X for that reason.

For fuel economy, I mean how long can this phone last me on a single charge? I had a Galaxy Nexus and it would last about 7-9 hours on an extended battery. Not really acceptable for me. My current phone can go 24-36 hours, unless I'm hammering on it. Even then, it'll last an entire day without worrying. I'm hoping that battery efficiency continues to be a priority with engineering.

But I think you are correct in saying that the differences are small. They're getting smaller too as time goes on.

lol. I agree the differences are getting smaller as time goes on.

Agreed that Apple is really good about making things really effecient.

Galaxy phones, aren't probably meant for your user that isn't ready to tweak things via apps/roms of by using xposed installer.

Any android can be a great phone, but they all don't start that way. Some take a little more end user care than others, lets say assembly required. That's what the Nexus was meant for, and that's why they're as cheap as they are. They buy internals, slap it together, load android, and ship it. There isn't a whole lot spent in the R&D department aside from how they will design the phone for the hardware to fit.

Now, take your average Moto Phone like the moto x you mentioned, Razer HD Maxx, w/e you want to call it...S4, etc the flagship phones get a lot of TLC. They're the ones the wireless carriers are going to drive to the average consumer, so to not get a "bad rep" as being a terrible phone, they sort of do a lot of the work for you by adding their own iteration of android to the mix. And even then, with some dev work, you can unlock the, and even tap into more potentional to make them even better a lot of times, like for battery life, managing wakelocks with the greenify apps.

I don't know what the apple ecosystem is like, where if you have much to play around with in terms of extending blife with things like that or if jailbreaking is strictly just to customize the UI.

Buy the Galaxy phones shouldn't be where you start your baseline for how good (or poor) android can be, that's your experience of course, but it gets much much better. Also, the Nexus 5 just came out, and it seems to be a pretty good phone straight up without having to be "worked with", so google is stepping in the right direction. Then agian, it's also $50 more than the previous gen, so you're paying for that extra bit of R&D/Better hardware they're using.

Apple definitely does reign king in terms of squeezing everybit out the hardware they put into something, that's for sure.

Your video comment also reminded me another reason I initially switched over to android. Flash....Ah aaah! savior of the universe!

I couldn't watch pr0n at work without, and that's what the internet is for...(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRgNOyCnbqg)...so it seemed like a no brainer.

By the by, have they "fixed" that yet? Or is it one of those things where people will care less and less about it as flash becomes used less and less now?

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Oh oh! I forgot the most important thing. As mark whalberg said in the movie Ted: I've got you now mother fucker - the ear phones I got with my HTC one are far and away better than the iPhone ones! I have a pair of the new ones I compared them ;) lol...then I went out and bought some Bose ones!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Haha..I started with iPhone first broseph. I knew the in's and out's of the iphone, apple just sucks bawls. It's not the phone itself, nor the features it lacks or doesn't lack, it's just apple. iTunes is such a controled enviroment it blocks a lot of creativity in their market place. Take patents for example. There have been some really "HOLY CHIT WE CAN DO THAT???" things that people have thought up, but they're not allowed to go to market, or even see the light of day in the eye of the public because if that technology was manfucatured and used, it could fall in the wrong hands and cause security risks to our gubment so you get a gag order put on you for X number or years, or if you're lucky you get the gag order WITH the option for the military to use your ideas and pay you a little, vs the a lot you'd have gotten if the idea had gone to market.

While I agree apple sucks at blocking this stuff there is a way around it. Like I said before if you can jailbreak your iphone there really isn't much you can't do. Now the fact you have to jailbreak the phone to do it can be seen as a problem but that's just how apple rolls I guess.

I just don't like that. Can you accidentally step on a land mine in the google market place? I'll answer that with another question, can you accidentaly step on a land mine when you open your email? Yes, but you can easily avoid them by taking "smart" precautions...

iTunes really just holds the entire thing back, why do I have to use itunes for everything?

I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by a land mine and what trouble you can get in.

You're still talking about having to log into itunes though. Say you have a song you really want to play for me on my compuer, and I don't have itunes. I'd have to download itunes to my PC so you can log into it and listen to that song right?

Or say you don't have your chit on you, and I dont have my PC, but I have my phone (an android phone) and you want to show me that song on your itunes. How would you do that? You can't log into itunes on my phone.

Tha'ts why I like google. You still get "the cloud". If I'm at your house and I want to show you a song, I just goto play.google.com/music log in, and bam you can listen to it. I can do the same thing on your iphone through your safari browser (afaik)...

Well to be honest this should be a moot point because if I wanted to show you a song I would go on Youtube and listen to it. People can say the same thing and say oh well i don't want to have to log in anywhere, I just want to go on your comp and listen. For things like that I would just use youtube and avoid all phone use. I must say though the cloud for android is easier to access.

I don't -HAVE- to be tied down to a computer either with Android, when a dev pushes out another ROM, or Google sends out an update, I just download it on my phone, and it either updates it self (if I'm not using custom ROM's) or I boot into recovery, flash the update, and I'm done. I don't have to go home, plug my phone, PRAY that itunes recognizes my phone, update, and then PRAY again that something didn't screw up during the update process. Now if you don't have to use your computer anymore for iOS updates, maybe that'll fix that.

You no longer need to connect to your computer to update your phone. You can do it directly from the phone and it's really smooth.

I had a 3GS, then a 4, I've done many iOS updates, and almost everytime it was a chorse to work. I've even had my library accidentally deleted becuase of an update and had to search the google for a fix that could bring those files back.

Now all you have to do is go to settings and it will tell you if there is an update and it will update your phone without changing any settings or deleting anything.

Now most of that is because a large chunk of my library is illegally downloaded music, lets not get into that, just rest assured I've sustained from doing that for awhile now and I'm "legit" about how I obtain music now a days.

Same as above.

But there were times it'd delete all those files, and the only things I had strictly bought through itunes would be copied over.

With Google? No probs. No walled garden or controled enviroment. Shit, they let me upload my illegaly download songs to their google play cloud, so now all that crap is on my cloud. Where as with itunes, only the things I've paid them are on the cloud.

I just drag any media (illegal or not, since I never bought anything from itunes) right into itunes and it syncs. Never had an issue with anything getting deleted either.

The same philosophy is bled over into the phone itself. Yeah you can jailbreak it, but I don't think you get as many "rights" or "privileges" or "system acces" w/e you want to call them as you do with a "jailbroken" android.

I'm not too sure what you mean here. A jailbroken iphone can do it all. If someone can think up the idea and can make the program/file/app you can use it. I had some real cool stuff on my phone. I'm sure the same can be done for android so I can;t really say one is better than the other, they are most likely the same.

The phone is fine, it's the company behind the phone that I hate.

Yup, I knew you meant that the whole time. I don't think anyone can say the phone itself sucks.

Edit: And as far as speed goes, I don't understand how shaving 1 second of a 1/4 mile time vs 1 sec on a page loading in your browser is any less signifigant. If you're willing to wait an extra second to go from A to B in a page load, which you'll be doing A LOT more of in your lifetime, then why woudln't you care to wait that extra second going down the strip or vice versa.

Common now, thats wrong man. Waiting .5-1 sec longer for a webpage to load is not the same as 1 second on a 1/4 mile run. A .5-1 second is MASSIVE in a 1/4mile while it's peanuts waiting for a webpage. It's like saying the tolerances are the same for building a house or building a spaceship. If you are out an inch in a house you get a crooked wall, if you are out an inch in a spaceship you blow up.... Ok i exaggerated there a bit but so did you to some extent when talking track times. A more fair comparison would be the difference between someone running a 12 and someone running as 12.05 in the 1/4 miles.

Also web page times are usually more to do with your service provider. Someone with a old phone could end up loading the page quicker than someone with the newest and best phone if the old phone has a great service provider and the other is struggling to get signal.

The good news is, even though the iPhone does usually er always has a lower clock speed than the flagship androids doesn't always mean it's slower. They focus on making the iPhone effecient rather than just saying "Ah man, drop in a bigger engine and this thing will FLY!" they say "Hey, if we tweak the suspension, and change up the gear ratios a tad, this thing will FLY!" It's all about how you spend your resources. That's why Samsung usually has a lot of (useless in my opinion) additional features that iPhone doesn't. They spend their R&D money on coming up with your phone auto pausing the video you're playing if you're not looking at it, not on how to make the software more effecient so they can run a lower clocked processor.

Same with Motorola. Those guys have done some incredible things that aren't useless IMO in their Moto X

Like I said above, speed is usually determined on your service provider and the signal strength you have.

Last edited:

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
lol. I agree the differences are getting smaller as time goes on.

Agreed that Apple is really good about making things really effecient.

Galaxy phones, aren't probably meant for your user that isn't ready to tweak things via apps/roms of by using xposed installer.

Any android can be a great phone, but they all don't start that way. Some take a little more end user care than others, lets say assembly required. That's what the Nexus was meant for, and that's why they're as cheap as they are. They buy internals, slap it together, load android, and ship it. There isn't a whole lot spent in the R&D department aside from how they will design the phone for the hardware to fit.

Now, take your average Moto Phone like the moto x you mentioned, Razer HD Maxx, w/e you want to call it...S4, etc the flagship phones get a lot of TLC. They're the ones the wireless carriers are going to drive to the average consumer, so to not get a "bad rep" as being a terrible phone, they sort of do a lot of the work for you by adding their own iteration of android to the mix. And even then, with some dev work, you can unlock the, and even tap into more potentional to make them even better a lot of times, like for battery life, managing wakelocks with the greenify apps.

I don't know what the apple ecosystem is like, where if you have much to play around with in terms of extending blife with things like that or if jailbreaking is strictly just to customize the UI.

Buy the Galaxy phones shouldn't be where you start your baseline for how good (or poor) android can be, that's your experience of course, but it gets much much better. Also, the Nexus 5 just came out, and it seems to be a pretty good phone straight up without having to be "worked with", so google is stepping in the right direction. Then agian, it's also $50 more than the previous gen, so you're paying for that extra bit of R&D/Better hardware they're using.

Apple definitely does reign king in terms of squeezing everybit out the hardware they put into something, that's for sure.

Your video comment also reminded me another reason I initially switched over to android. Flash....Ah aaah! savior of the universe!

I couldn't watch pr0n at work without, and that's what the internet is for...(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRgNOyCnbqg)...so it seemed like a no brainer.

By the by, have they "fixed" that yet? Or is it one of those things where people will care less and less about it as flash becomes used less and less now?

Google later admitted that the reason why they didn't officially include LTE on the Nexus 4 (after the Galaxy Nexus) was due to how bad the battery drain was. Apparently they've worked out the kinks with the N5. I was all about using the custom ROMs though when I had a Nexus. That part was definitely fun. It was also pretty fun getting the new iterations of Android before they were official. Then you could piecemeal it and add components as you wanted, like the new camera, keyboard, and lockscreen apks. I'm a huge fan of how inexpensive their Nexus line is now. I saw that it costs Apple roughly $240 to produce an iPhone. Crazy profit margins!

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
I'll clarify.

Ya I understand what your saying and I think battery will be the focus with phones. I mean how much better can they get power wise. That or they will start with some funky shit like those bendable phones or hologram video and all those futuristic ideas. We shall see.

well if my phone had an interior... it would be better :D

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Ah matt, thanks for the info. Good read. Seems like a lot of things I found annoying back in the day has been addressed.

As far as the landmine thing, a lot of people like to gloat about the playstore, since it's a lot more forgiving/open, you can accidentally download malware, etc because of it. Not downloading certain apps that are relatively new, or little no to reviews, etc or bad reviews, you can avoid all those.

As with iPhone, apple gives each individual app that goes into its store a thumbs up. It only gets added once apple says okay, there aren't any "landmines" for people to step on and mess up their brand now phone, cool.

That's what I meant. But like I said, using precaution helps. To be honest, I never have, and I've never knowingly downloaded something that screwed my phone up besides the random app that tosses adds into my pull down menu -_-

Well, maybe not a song, but how about a video? I can also stream video media as well. Granted I could upload it to youtube too, but you got the point, so meh!

Oh I've dragged my media illegal or not too. But the thing I just didn't like was one time it wiped out my library during an update, and that was very annoying. The songs were still "there" in the iTunes folder, all encrypted, etc business as usual, but iTunes wouldn't read them. I had to use something to unencrypt them so they were FDfjkldsf - fdsjfk;dsfj.mp3 and were what we're use to seeing.

I agree on the web page loading stuff, and if honestly, it doesn't matter THAT much because I'm never standing next to someone loading the exact same page, at the same time, timing them. And I agree it completely has a lot more to do with the service provider. I really only included that because that usually is a metric used to "rate" phones, so some people care about it, I don't know who, but if it matters to someone, it matters?

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Ya I understand what your saying and I think battery will be the focus with phones. I mean how much better can they get power wise. That or they will start with some funky shit like those bendable phones or hologram video and all those futuristic ideas. We shall see.

well if my phone had an interior... it would be better :D

Bendable screens will be really cool. I really want to see one of those new curved screens irl just to see it.

Speaking of battery life, I had a motorola atrix HD. It had I think a 1800mAh battery? ridiculously small. It may have even been 1600 now that I think about it. Just crazy small for any phone.

Anyway, I ended up reading about a mod on the XDA forums where you could buy a Razr HD Maxx battery (double the mAh of the atrix one)...It was retarded.

The back was made of kevlar, so the bigger battery "fit" because the kevlar would bulge out a bit/flex. It still felt just fine when handling it so it wasn't annoying/ruined your experience holding it.

But I went from tweaking that small battery to last a day and a bit more to DAYS. It's very strange that the mAh only doubled but it seemed like my battery life went up by a factor of at least 3...

I do miss the days of my battery lasting what seemed for ever and ever...

Everyone always tries to cut down on thickness, I just wonder how crazy Blife would be for these phones we have if they gave the batteries just that extra .2mm of space...Made the world of difference for my atrix lol...

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Ah, gotcha on the land main reference. I guess it would be the same way as a jailbroken iphone. Basically when you jailbreak an iphone it becomes an andorid device. You skip the whole apps have to go through apple. You end up with an app called Cydia which is where you can download every app you can think of (for free) and all different themes or options to customize your phone. These apps are just uploaded by your average joe so if you aren't careful you could end up downloading bad software.

The good thing about apple is that if you have any issues with your phone you just plug it in go to itunes and hit restore. Now you will lose whatever you have on your phone but you wipe it clean and all is well again.