GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Ultimate "Driver's" Road Trip

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Wow, what pads are you running? I could get the stock pads to smell a bit on the Cherohala Skyway because the speeds are a bit higher, but I've never experienced that on the Dragon because the whole thing is basically at autocross speeds.

Sucks about dropping two off the side, glad it wasn't worse.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
They're stock pads right now. You have to realize that (except for long straights) if I wasn't accelerating I was braking. Almost no coasting. I drove it more like a RWD setup, too: braking late and powering through the apex, rather than brake before and modulate throttle through. And this was at about the 10 mile mark

Yeah I'm also pretty aggressive on these roads, when there's no traffic in the way my foot is on the floor and I'm making full use of the XDS. On top of that, when I get to one end I'll turn around and go right back the other way with no cool down.

I focus more on carrying speed through each corner though. I'll brake as hard as necessary, but with my car at stock hp output I don't need to spend much time standing on the brakes on a road like the Dragon where there aren't a lot of acceleration areas.

torga

Autocross Champion
I didn't actually take any pics today. I didn't leave Little Rock until after 3. I went down to Ouachita (how TF do you pronounce that, like Wichita? Or wah-cheeta? Idk) National forest. Bombed some country roads with a gen 5 mustang missing all the front body panels and headlights, and the hood not fully latched. Those roads were nice, then they turned into long sweepers that were so relaxing to cruise around with the country air. 27 North.
I'll be pronouncing it "ouchy-ta" and I refuse to listen to reason. You will not get through to me.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I was thinking it could be BOV related, but I have my Turbosmart Kompact EM BOV installed. I'll have to see if I can't find a good sound byte of it. Someone's it doesn't happen at all, sometimes it's like a big turbo flutter. But like I said, if this sounds had always happened I wouldn't be concerned. :iono:
Edit: haven't mentioned it's only on lifting off throttle quickly. Found a sound byte, I'm gonna upload it
if you have a BOV thats probably what it is.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
didnt hear the flutter on the first fit but did on the 2nd. sounds in the neighborhood of a BOV.

how's your oil pan look after that 50/50?

interested to see if your drilled/slotted rotors crack with all this hard driving.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I don't hear anything in the first video. The second one I can hear some turbo noise that sounds like your BOV. Really shouldn't have a BOV on these cars. It isn't a Subaru, these cars prefer the air recirculate.

As for your brakes, smoking isn't a concern but the fact that only the passenger front brake is smoking is. That means your driver side brakes aren't working properly or your passenger side might be seized. I would be worried more about that than the turbo noise.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
how's your oil pan look after that 50/50?
First thing I checked. I then went back and checked the road to make sure there were no fluids, then back to my car to check for puddles. I think I narrowly missed the oil pan, it looks like I landed directly on my right frame rail.

Really shouldn't have a BOV on these cars. It isn't a Subaru, these cars prefer the air recirculate.
I know, I know. That's a noise the kid who always played the NFS games wanted his whole life. I specially went for one designed to do both, supposedly at "no" 🙄 interference to the OEM operations. I know it's still worse than having a plain DV (or upgraded, for that matter), but if it only minimally affects performance for an extra smile on my face it's worth it for me.
That said, I'm starting to be over it. I'm definitely glad I bought the BOV and don't regret it at all; I needed my fix and now I've had it. We'll see about the future.

As for your brakes, smoking isn't a concern but the fact that only the passenger front brake is smoking is. That means your driver side brakes aren't working properly or your passenger side might be seized. I would be worried more about that than the turbo noise.
I couldn't catch it on video, but the driver's side was smoking, too. I think it was just the lighting. The pads look about even in wear by my eye, and VW didn't say anything about uneven wear when they checked them yesterday. I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for it though.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I couldn't catch it on video, but the driver's side was smoking, too. I think it was just the lighting. The pads look about even in wear by my eye, and VW didn't say anything about uneven wear when they checked them yesterday. I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for it though.
Makes sense, it just didnt show on the video. Also, I was thinking, if you had just done a lot of right turns before recording that video, that could also cause that pass side to smoke more since the XDS is applying brake pressure to the inner wheel.