GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Ultimate "Driver's" Road Trip

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
hey, just a bit if advice and you may already know this...
You should always have a route that you are going and let someone know just incase you lose service and something happens to you.
Even more IMPORTANT you should never hike alone. If you are going to familiarize yourself with the wildlife in the area. There are big cats and bears in Tennessee, Arkansas and Colorado. Just glance around and behind you.
If you hit a hiking trail you must tell someone where you are going and when you will be back in touch. That way if they don't hear from you they know where to start looking.
This time of year you aren't going to freeze to death but make sure you take plenty of water. Dont know how far or extreme your hikes are but might want to take back pack and your tarp as well.
No one ever plans on getting lost...

I was on a trip to Big Bend in a civic hatch and the timing belt broke. There was no phone service and I was with my 2 younger sons in a desert landscape.
We got lucky and hitchhiked to the nearest town(marathon) but could ha r been worse.

Oh and don't pick stuff up, them snakes is out!!!

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I personally just run the revision D style OEM DV on my R. Just throwing that tid bit out here.
How can i tell which DV i have? Was there a year of change over with the revision D style?

FWIW my DV flutters at high boost levels (both audible and visual on the boost gauge) but it still holds boost. I think i need the beefier DV but it isnt urgent.

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
@Joe_Mama from what I remember the part number is printed on the outside of the part on one of the long flat sides so you should be able to check. Also, as far as I'm aware it is random which vehicles have which style, but D is regarded as the best OEM option. The part number is 06H145710D, we have them listed online here.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
hey, just a bit if advice and you may already know this...
You should always have a route that you are going and let someone know just incase you lose service and something happens to you.
Even more IMPORTANT you should never hike alone. If you are going to familiarize yourself with the wildlife in the area. There are big cats and bears in Tennessee, Arkansas and Colorado. Just glance around and behind you.
If you hit a hiking trail you must tell someone where you are going and when you will be back in touch. That way if they don't hear from you they know where to start looking.
This time of year you aren't going to freeze to death but make sure you take plenty of water. Dont know how far or extreme your hikes are but might want to take back pack and your tarp as well.
No one ever plans on getting lost...

I was on a trip to Big Bend in a civic hatch and the timing belt broke. There was no phone service and I was with my 2 younger sons in a desert landscape.
We got lucky and hitchhiked to the nearest town(marathon) but could ha r been worse.

Oh and don't pick stuff up, them snakes is out!!!
+1, story time!

Camping up in Arkansas I had an encounter with a bear a few years ago. Bunch of guys being dumb and ate/stored food in our tent so all the lovely animals could find us. One of the only moments in my life where the hair going down my spine truly raised hearing that bear and it's massive weight moving around outside our paper-thin tent, nudging it and breathing through the fabric when he exhaled lmfao. None of us had service and no one knew where we were too, yikes!

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
+1, story time!

Camping up in Arkansas I had an encounter with a bear a few years ago. Bunch of guys being dumb and ate/stored food in our tent so all the lovely animals could find us. One of the only moments in my life where the hair going down my spine truly raised hearing that bear and it's massive weight moving around outside our paper-thin tent, nudging it and breathing through the fabric when he exhaled lmfao. None of us had service and no one knew where we were too, yikes!
yeah but did you die?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
+1, story time!

Same thing happened to me last summer camping in northern rural Wisconsin. We had some dry food out on the table, hotdog buns etc...about 2am we hear a bear rummaging through our stuff. We watched it in panic through the tent screen. Thank god my dog slept through it otherwise she would have given us away. It was pretty intense but left after eating all our buns and whatnot.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Same thing happened to me last summer camping in northern rural Wisconsin. We had some dry food out on the table, hotdog buns etc...about 2am we hear a bear rummaging through our stuff. We watched it in panic through the tent screen. Thank god my dog slept through it otherwise she would have given us away. It was pretty intense but left after eating all our buns and whatnot.
there's an easy target joke about eating ass here but im too lazy to connect the dots.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
yeah but did you die?
Nearly. The underpants required changing for sure though. The most aggressive weapon we had was a used plastic fork.
It doesn't seem like it would be that terrifying initially, but they weigh so much and you can practically feel the weight of them as they move around the area. I imagine people also look like a nice prepackaged snack in their sleeping bags. Along with the slow deep breathing that sounds like a giant walking around, all the bugs and life completely STOPPED all noise the moment the bear entered our camping area so it added to the scary factor. You just knew a bad mofo was out walking around lmao.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
I dunno, having what I'm pretty sure is America's largest land predator knock at your nylon door seems pretty frightening to me. But yeah I never remove food from my car unless to cook, and for that matter on multiple occasions already I've chosen not to eat dinner for the fact I don't want to be cooking smelly food near me when I can't see an animal.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Also, I'm making massive changes to my trip on a whim, as I'm apt to do. See thread title.
Sooooo you will be doing TX after all? 👀

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Definitely! I realized Austin was only 8 hours from where I was. I just wish I had thought of it sooner because now I have to go to Colorado for my repair
Haha great! Definitely refer back to my older post. Couple of good spots around Austin/San Antonio.