GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jeep guy --> GTI guy

Kenny-g

Ready to race!
^ that's another upside for me too, my Fiancee doesn't know hot to drive a stick and she'd freak out lol I found a very nicely priced one via CarMax of all places (LINK) but I need my Jeep for at least another few weeks for moving shit so we'll see if it stays or not. It's a manual though and red. I wouldn't mind red but I'd prefer blue or white. Red is wayyy better than black though and mostly what I've been finding is black and white MK6s but white is common enough.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I always wanted a Jeep but I know the gas would destroy my wallet. Your complaining about 15 minutes there and back. I do 50 minutes there and back... I figure if either I ever get rich or I live 5 minutes to my job I can go crazy and snag a Jeep. I'm actually hoping for decent mileage out of the Renegade because that car does appeal to me.
Now your decision on GTI vs Focus ST I think comes down to refinement. the Focus ST is new to the scene as far as the balls to the walls Focus goes. It's no where near as refined and solid feeling as the GTI. From what I've read in reviews, it's basically a raw, pure power ride that doesn't feel all that great in handling compared to a car like the GTI, but it makes up for that with just pure raw power.
They actually say the Fiesta ST is a more solid ride with a bit less power/torque but more controllable and manageable of a ride.
I'm not too big a Ford fan so either ride wouldn't do much for me. I think the Focus/Fiesta are unattractive and just look like a lost car or a car that was slapped together with all these crazy ideas and your left with a big mess.
I'm not a big fan either of the MK7 GTI but I think if you want a more "complete" feeling of a sport hatch, it would be your better option. Yeah though the price probably won't be in your interest though.

Eudoxus

Did this switch with a 97 wrangler last June in Austin, no regrets. Don't do it for the gas mileage, once the mod bug bites you won't save anything. Also, your foot will be heavier so expect 22-24 mpg with premium gas vs. reg for your jeep.

m

Sent via a turbocharged toaster.

Kenny-g

Ready to race!
I always wanted a Jeep but I know the gas would destroy my wallet. Your complaining about 15 minutes there and back. I do 50 minutes there and back... I figure if either I ever get rich or I live 5 minutes to my job I can go crazy and snag a Jeep. I'm actually hoping for decent mileage out of the Renegade because that car does appeal to me.
Now your decision on GTI vs Focus ST I think comes down to refinement. the Focus ST is new to the scene as far as the balls to the walls Focus goes. It's no where near as refined and solid feeling as the GTI. From what I've read in reviews, it's basically a raw, pure power ride that doesn't feel all that great in handling compared to a car like the GTI, but it makes up for that with just pure raw power.
They actually say the Fiesta ST is a more solid ride with a bit less power/torque but more controllable and manageable of a ride.
I'm not too big a Ford fan so either ride wouldn't do much for me. I think the Focus/Fiesta are unattractive and just look like a lost car or a car that was slapped together with all these crazy ideas and your left with a big mess.
I'm not a big fan either of the MK7 GTI but I think if you want a more "complete" feeling of a sport hatch, it would be your better option. Yeah though the price probably won't be in your interest though.

Valid points thus why I'm not even considering a Ford anymore lol and it's 15 minutes to base so 30 total plus theres no food on base so that's another few miles of driving a day. No me gusta.

Did this switch with a 97 wrangler last June in Austin, no regrets. Don't do it for the gas mileage, once the mod bug bites you won't save anything. Also, your foot will be heavier so expect 22-24 mpg with premium gas vs. reg for your jeep.

Dude I'd take 22 city with premium gas vs 16.3 any day. that's several more days if not a full week in gas. Going from a 4.0 I6 TJ to a Golf must've been amazing gas mileage wise, eh?! Hahaha hind sight is always 20/20 but I wish I would've bought my sporty/fun car new a few years back and then got a cheap TJ or XJ for offroading rather than being in my predicament now.

Side note: everyone and their mother is hardcore hating on me wanting a MK6. They either live in a fantasy world where my Jeep costs less to own in the long run than owning a more fuel efficient MK6. I'm paying $407 in car payments right now, $147 in insurance, and am averaging $50 a week in gas so $200 a month right there. That's $754 a month...for a Jeep...that I don't even offroad regularly like I used to. Now insurance would go up about $3 and some change a month but my payments would be under $350 (depending on the price and APR% I get) and I imagine gas would be around $50-$75 a month depending on how much I beat on it and how much more expensive premium is around here. So that's $575 or less a month. Granted that's not much less but that's $179 difference. That's enough to cover my electric bill, or get a lot of groceries, or pay my cable/internet. Yada yada yada. I don't think I'd regret moving on from my Jeep but that's my soon to be mother-in-laws reasoning for me not to trade it in.

In the end, it's my money, my vehicle, and they can all suck a dick...I want a MK6 GTI lol

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Welcome to the family man. The forums gods already admitted you so your going to fit right in. Like others have said I'd try to find a nice CPO MK6; however, if you plan to mod a ton you may actually want to go for the MK7 when they get more popular. So far we've seen with just a tune run 12's.

I wouldn't worry about the gas thing either. I've gotten 27mpg combined with my mk5 with near full bolt-ons and I go WOT at least once a drive. About 30-31 highway is what I get. As for not modding I'll put down a ten spot saying you'll be at least tuned if not stage 2 by the end of the year :)

Kenny-g

Ready to race!
Thanks for the welcome man. I really dig the forum and the people on it. There's some kids but they seem to be way less annoying than the kids on Honda forums which is a great thing and the overall sense of humor that's on here is nice too ;)

As far as the whole modding thing goes, I've sunk a lot of dough into my Jeep and it's been fun off roading it but I think I just want something to lightly mod and enjoy cruising in. I know I'm not gonna make it to a track anytime soon so I wouldn't worry about it's HP and shit unless my buddies started getting onto me about it haha

My fiancee and her mother (and about 80% of all my friends) are so against me doing this saying in the end it's not going to save me money...how the fuck that makes any sense is beyond me but in the end it's my money and I can do what I want with my own car.

That being said, I need to wait until after my wedding in August to do this. Couple reasons, A) I need to haul a uhaul back up here from San Marcos at least once before then and her mother is here and I don't feel like getting a damn lecture when I show up in a MK6 GTI. Sooo I'm just gonna wait and save some dough while I find the right one and figure out the correct way to politely tell my new wife to "suck my dick I'm fucking doing this!" lmfao

Sorry for my profanity, I don't really have an off switch at times....

Kenny-g

Ready to race!
Current Jeep pic cause this thread needs more pics:

This is only the second time I've ever had my doors off. It's so fun, I need to do it more often before I sell it/trade it in lmao

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
dude you're 22 and getting married??

I'm the same age and i can't even imagine getting married for at least another 10 years unless i meet some girl that likes to religiously s my d and is successful.

As for the gti, GET IT!!! I don't think you'll regret it, you only live once, but make sure that all the numbers look right and you're not taking a loss you aren't expecting. honestly i love my gti and currently can't think of any other car that is the same price that i'd rather own....well maybe a lightly used infiniti g37s coupe but besides that haha i'm pretty damn satisfied with my gti. Also, if you know you like modding, you aren't going to be able to "lightly mod" the gti if your wallet allows for it. There are sooo many small mods to add to your gti that will slightly improve it and make you love the car more.

Here are a few MUST HAVES for a gti imo that are SO WORTH IT:

1) ECU Tune $500-$700 installed. Will unleash your engine's hidden power as well as take off the stupid governmental limiter so you can go faster than 130mph.
2) Upgraded Rear Sway Bar $150-250 (just get a neuspeed one with the group buy) This mod will improve your handling over 100%
3) Intake (just get a neuspeed pflo intake; great sound and performance and competitive cost.) Useful for letting your engine breathe better.

Welcome to the forum man, i hope you enjoy your time here and I hope you're driving a gti soon without your in laws bitching at you!!!

#fuckdahaterz

Kenny-g

Ready to race!
Lmfao yeah dude, if I weren't in the military i don't think I'd be fiscally ready to do this. We've been together for 5 years, 7 months, and 13 days so it's long enough for me to know that she's the one so I'm happy. Plus she puts up with my car obsession even though right now she's being kind of a bitch along with her mother. I think she just expects me to regret selling the Jeep which honestly, I hate driving it everyday. I pulled the doors off today for only the second time ever and it's been the first time in a few months that I've really enjoyed it on the road/in town. And as far as modding goes, I'd want to lower it some, do a decent exhaust, probably get an intake of some brand, and then LEDs all throughout the interior and as much of the exterior as possible. Oh, and rims/tires. I hate the Detroit's and that's what I'd end up getting on a MK6. I just want to keep it fun and enjoyable as a DD. I don't need a shit load of power or anything lol Well...I say that now haha

Thanks for the welcome. I feel like me and you would get along well hahaha

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
i love Wranglers and GTI's equally. I couldn't really decide on one to be honest. Best would be to have both. Perfect 180 complements.

kram

Ready to race!
Absolutely loved my TJ & should have never sold it. Was dd'ing it on mild 33s but my daily commute went from less than 5 miles/day to 40/day...the 14mpg was killing me. Still, if I had to do over again I would've bought a beater & kept the Jeep.

Renner

Go Kart Champion
she puts up with my car obsession

You know this goes right out the window once you get married. Plan on having kids?? Get it all out if your system now young buck or be prepared for LOTS of stupid fights later. The woman you marry today isn't always the woman you are married to 5 years later. Good luck. Remember marriage is mostly a financial commitment...you can do 99% of things today being together and not being married. Marriage is just like dating but a much bigger loss if you break up.

Jaber

Modero
You know this goes right out the window once you get married. Plan on having kids?? Get it all out if your system now young buck or be prepared for LOTS of stupid fights later. The woman you marry today isn't always the woman you are married to 5 years later. Good luck. Remember marriage is mostly a financial commitment...you can do 99% of things today being together and not being married. Marriage is just like dating but a much bigger loss if you break up.

Well said. Luckily the woman I married stayed the same. It's been 2, going on 3 this year. So think I'm safe lol.

Sent from my iSuperior

Kenny-g

Ready to race!
Yeah we talk about kids but not for a while because we want to be closer to family before that happens. But knowing her, as soon as we get back from our honeymoon she could be like, "PUT BABY...IN ME...MEOW!!!" lol I sure as fuck hope not :O

And yeah I thought my Jeep was like "the vehicle" for me when I drove it home the first time and its definitely something I can easily get excited about all over again but the MPG when I drive it around town/on the highway just sucks so much cock it drives me nuts. 16.3 MPG average for 3+ weeks is not cool. Highway I can get 19 if the wind is literally behind my Jeep and I'm not going up a lot of hills -_-

Bottom line, I'll attempt to enjoy my Jeep as much as possible for the next few months but the plan is to get into an MK6 sooner than later.