GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RSR clutch kit questions/concerns

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys, we are a pretty stand up group of guys so I figured I would come in here and help sort things out. I want to address one thing first and foremost:

The RSR is comprised of OE parts, but no one has been "had". Even if you bought the clutch when it wasn't on sale, you still paid less than list price for all of the components included, and it was shipped to your door ready to install in you MK5, MK6, or Golf R with torque specs provided.

We actually almost didn't start selling these clutches publicly because the profitability was pretty slim and the parts WERE NOT easy to get. Like, no VIN numbers and no proof of car, no parts hard. The problem was that there really wasn't a decent dual mass option available. We were actually beta testing a dual mass kit for a well known clutch maker when we started working on the RSR. Their kit has a huge pedal effort, and far less torque capacity. It never made it to production. We knew there had to be a way to get great torque holding with modest pedal effort. I mean seriously, the new Mustang Cobra has 662 horsepower stock and uses a clutch that's not much bigger than a MK6! We ultimately decided to sell this clutch publicly because we had a pretty overwhelming local demand, and the beta testing was incredible. Multiple Stage 3 Golf R's and K04 TSI cars that were holding torque, and quiet/smooth enough to drive daily. So, sorry if you don't like the price and you're welcome for the 30+ transmission pulls and hundreds of hours of labor testing and checking.

I really appreciate HST's time, effort and R&D into this clutch kit. I just had mine installed over the weekend. It is a great clutch, I truly did miss the quietness of DMFW vs FX350's SMF. I will gladly pay for this clutch in the future again when it is due for replacement.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Hey guys, we are a pretty stand up group of guys so I figured I would come in here and help sort things out. I want to address one thing first and foremost:

The RSR is comprised of OE parts, but no one has been "had". Even if you bought the clutch when it wasn't on sale, you still paid less than list price for all of the components included, and it was shipped to your door ready to install in you MK5, MK6, or Golf R with torque specs provided.

We actually almost didn't start selling these clutches publicly because the profitability was pretty slim and the parts WERE NOT easy to get. Like, no VIN numbers and no proof of car, no parts hard. The problem was that there really wasn't a decent dual mass option available. We were actually beta testing a dual mass kit for a well known clutch maker when we started working on the RSR. Their kit has a huge pedal effort, and far less torque capacity. It never made it to production. We knew there had to be a way to get great torque holding with modest pedal effort. I mean seriously, the new Mustang Cobra has 662 horsepower stock and uses a clutch that's not much bigger than a MK6! We ultimately decided to sell this clutch publicly because we had a pretty overwhelming local demand, and the beta testing was incredible. Multiple Stage 3 Golf R's and K04 TSI cars that were holding torque, and quiet/smooth enough to drive daily. So, sorry if you don't like the price and you're welcome for the 30+ transmission pulls and hundreds of hours of labor testing and checking.

Sachs and LUK deal on a millions of units scale. They are OEM manufacturers. They want minimum orders in the 10,000 units area. That's obviously not feasible for HS Tuning. So, HS Tuning put these kits together piece meal for the good of the community despite the fact they weren't going to profit from them. I applaud HS Tuning for coming up with a high performance solutions that is almost on par with the stock clutch in regards to NVH and pedal effort. I had the SB stage 3 daily and it was loud and the pedal effort was on the heavy. Oh, and my DMF had 40k miles on it and is performing flawlessly still at 70k miles.

JayzGti

It's a fantastic clutch and a fair price point. The 3 areas around the bolts actual surface area is so insignifigant to the actual grip. I for one am quite pleased with the amount of time that went into sourcing the kit

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
I had nothing but a 100% positive experience dealing with HSTuning. From the 20 or so emails back and forth that were answered freakishly fast, to the updates on when it would ship to the actual product. MY installer is a master VW tech and was impressed with the kit. At the end of the day I could not be happier and like i said i would buy it in a heartbeat. I've recommended the RSR to everyone i know.

Of course there will always be a simpler, easier way to do things. You could source components for an iphone for about $200 and assemble yourself instead of paying the $600+ retail price....Don't see anyone bashing Apple for that.

Southbend is basically doing the same. They take OE pressure plates, slap on red paint, make a new disc using OE centers and call it a brand new home made solution.

RSR is the tits, I'd buy it 100% again. And HS did not at any point seem like a shop out to take people. They were super nice and responsive and really into the VW scene.

Calkulin

Ready to race!

The RSR is comprised of OE parts, but no one has been "had"....

I don't think anyone questioned your businesses reputation for providing great service or products and I wouldn't comment on the rest of your post as you're a business and if you didn't make money, it wouldn't exist and nobody wants that. Personally the only thing I will question though is the decision to grind off the part #'s off OE parts as that can be perceived as deceitful, which is what I imagine some people reacted to, not the quality of the product

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Why would that be perceived as deceitful? They spent the time time to figure out the right combination if OEM parts that work. Why would they want to give that information to all of their competitors to exploit?

Calkulin

Ready to race!
That's like saying that APR should grind off the part #s off their K04 & Garrett turbo's so one will figure out what turbos they use or maybe grind off the part #s off the 3 bar map sensors so you have to buy it from them :thumbdown:

Calkulin

Ready to race!
Yeah, it's called customer service and they have that(I say that as a previous customer), so doing things like removing part #s off OE parts is unnecessary

Turbo Beetle

Ready to race!
Yeah, it's called customer service and they have that(I say that as a previous customer), so doing things like removing part #s off OE parts is unnecessary

I feel the same way, if you are going to use OEM parts you don't grind off the part numbers, that's just embarrassing.

SHOMI

Ready to race!
Very interesting read.. Great info so far! Sub'd

brobst

Go Kart Champion
I feel the same way, if you are going to use OEM parts you don't grind off the part numbers, that's just embarrassing.

They engineered a solution. You don't necessarily have to make your own parts to make a solution.
And I see it as a proprietary thing. Else someone else could just piece the kit and sell it as well. They never hid the fact that it was like stock solution. They aren't required to explain the part source.

Turbo Beetle

Ready to race!
They engineered a solution. You don't necessarily have to make your own parts to make a solution.
And I see it as a proprietary thing. Else someone else could just piece the kit and sell it as well. They never hid the fact that it was like stock solution. They aren't required to explain the part source.

They did not engineer or produce anything. They explained that through trial and error they found a combination of OEM parts that worked well for the needs of their customers and they buy and resell OEM parts.

If some one came to you and asked could you please find a solution for my need to write on paper and if a mistake is made there may be a need to correct the mistake with out having to start over.

IMO if you bought a #2 pencil and resold it to them you solved their problem but you did not engineer or produce anything and I would hope you would not find the need to grind off the manufacture's markings on the pencil, just saying :)

Last edited:

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Companies do this all the time. It is consulting. Engineering is just solving problems man.

You can solve the problem yourself or pay someone to do it. In this case they do it for you and charge.
No one is stopping you from doing the research to determine the parts. All I am saying is they do not have to reveal the parts.
For your example, if I gave you the pencil and scratched out #2, you could buy pencils and figure it out, or just keep getting pencils from me.

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
I don't see what the big deal is, it's not like the other "clutch" companies actually make anything for our cars either. SB / Clutchmasters just take fidanza / exedy flywheels, clutchnet pressure plates, and Sachs center sections, and slap a different friction disc on it, and then charge us $1300