GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bringing an MK6 back from the grave - My Mk6 Story

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Thanks! I believe it's stock ride height, but the exhaust isn't stock. The PO had a custom cat back made that replaces the muffler with a 3-foot resonator and 3" pipe on one side. It sounds ridiculous. I love it.

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Thanks! I believe it's stock ride height, but the exhaust isn't stock. The PO had a custom cat back made that replaces the muffler with a 3-foot resonator and 3" pipe on one side. It sounds ridiculous. I love it.

Nice dude, any plans to lift?

I need live through your unicorn truck, because I can't see dropping 3 grand right now plus a plain ticket and several hundred in gas lol

PetrolHead

Naw, I want to leave it as stock as humanly possible for now. The rear might be sagging a bit, so I could see swapping the leafs for fresh ones, but I doubt I'll lift it until it becomes a dedicated wheeling truck someday...

I'm seriously considering doing a dash and door panel swap from a newer GMT400 since my dash is completely destroyed. While it all bolts in, it takes a lot of wiring to do right. Not sure I want to take on something like that, so I'll probably just see if I can track down a crack free old square dash in a junkyard. I was admiring the truck yesterday and how remarkably straight it is, I'd love to restore and repaint it one day. As stupid as that sounds, it could look brand new. I wonder if it'll ever be considered a "classic" like the older ones are?

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Naw, I want to leave it as stock as humanly possible for now. The rear might be sagging a bit, so I could see swapping the leafs for fresh ones, but I doubt I'll lift it until it becomes a dedicated wheeling truck someday...

I'm seriously considering doing a dash and door panel swap from a newer GMT400 since my dash is completely destroyed. While it all bolts in, it takes a lot of wiring to do right. Not sure I want to take on something like that, so I'll probably just see if I can track down a crack free old square dash in a junkyard. I was admiring the truck yesterday and how remarkably straight it is, I'd love to restore and repaint it one day. As stupid as that sounds, it could look brand new. I wonder if it'll ever be considered a "classic" like the older ones are?

For sure it will, it's one of the first gm trucks to get tbi, and yours is a unicorn to boot!

The wiring can't be that bad, right? I bet some one has already figured it all out. That sounds like a fun project to me

PetrolHead

Apparently, the wiring for the gauge cluster and HVAC controls changed completely with the new dash. Also, the power windows and locks are different, requiring swapping over the guts of each door. It all bolts on, just takes a lot of time. Some guys have done it and documented it, but there were incremental changes from year-to-year that can complicate things to where you really need to know what you're doing when swapping stuff. I'm willing to take it on, but I'd probably need a few weeks worth of weekends to complete it.

Further, 94 and 95 were the only years with the new dash and no passenger side airbag. While they were made in blue, they're pretty hard to come by. I've also heard they're rather expensive to get EVERYTHING needed. Not sure it's all worth it.

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Apparently, the wiring for the gauge cluster and HVAC controls changed completely with the new dash. Also, the power windows and locks are different, requiring swapping over the guts of each door. It all bolts on, just takes a lot of time. Some guys have done it and documented it, but there were incremental changes from year-to-year that can complicate things to where you really need to know what you're doing when swapping stuff. I'm willing to take it on, but I'd probably need a few weeks worth of weekends to complete it.

Further, 94 and 95 were the only years with the new dash and no passenger side airbag. While they were made in blue, they're pretty hard to come by. I've also heard they're rather expensive to get EVERYTHING needed. Not sure it's all worth it.

Hmm, yeah you've got a point. Can you just recover the dash? Seems like something a good upholstery shop could do? Although that could be spendy too..

PetrolHead

Luckily, the dash in my truck was put in everything GMT400 from 88-93. There's a plethora of them in junkyards at this point, and in Michigan, the dash boards are in pretty solid shape still. I just need to get out out to a junkyard and replace it.

My goal is to spend as little money as possible on Ol Blue, see how long it can last. I'll keep up the Mobil 1 routine and proper maintenance, doe.

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Luckily, the dash in my truck was put in everything GMT400 from 88-93. There's a plethora of them in junkyards at this point, and in Michigan, the dash boards are in pretty solid shape still. I just need to get out out to a junkyard and replace it.

My goal is to spend as little money as possible on Ol Blue, see how long it can last. I'll keep up the Mobil 1 routine and proper maintenance, doe.

Nice, and good point because in the end, it's still a beater :thumbup:

PetrolHead

Exactly!

I'll give it all the tools a beater needs to beat, but nothing more.

I'd still consider a dash swap if I found one in a junk yard for the right price, doe.

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Who needs a roadie?

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
The search for summer tires has begun - anyone have any reccomendations right off the bat?

Also, I am planning on switching the summers onto the charlestons and using the serrons for winter duty :thumbup:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Who needs a roadie?

Are you in a band?

The search for summer tires has begun - anyone have any reccomendations right off the bat?

Also, I am planning on switching the summers onto the charlestons and using the serrons for winter duty :thumbup:

Are the Charlestons lighter? I'd do the opposite based on looks, but I'm one of the weirdos who likes serrons.

Michilin PSS are grippy as hell but they are the only summers I have tried so I can't compare to other options. I'd get them again.

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Are you in a band?

Are the Charlestons lighter? I'd do the opposite based on looks, but I'm one of the weirdos who likes serrons.

Michilin PSS are grippy as hell but they are the only summers I have tried so I can't compare to other options. I'd get them again.

I play guitar and banjo in a country music festival once a year at a church I used to belong to. It's pretty fun, although it gets stressful trying to get a bunch of volunteers with talent.

I am using a strat I built and a jsx signed by Joe satriani himself (for country, lol). The amp is sick though, amazing clean and crunch tones. I used to switch out amps like crazy, but I've stuck with this one for at least 3 or 4 years now. Sick Van Halen tones.

I think the charlestons may be lighter, but I am just mixing it up. I like the serrons too, but I think I like the charlestons better.

I'll look into the PSS's, thanks mate!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Good ride, grippy, and on the lighter side for weight = Conti DW

But Michelin has the PSS's with a 30k warranty (expensive though) or the A/S3's with a 45k warranty....choices, choices

Michelin has a $70 rebate going on right now too

Last edited: