GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bringing an MK6 back from the grave - My Mk6 Story

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
O no... 2009 G8 gt with mods, tintz, and easy damage came up on auction.. and its the right color, with the all the options... O no.. my rwd v8 want is getting to critical levels.. I may be bidding if it stays cheap. It's already got a CAI and exhaust on it too..........

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion

You are a bad (read: good) influence, kind sir.

I am just tired of FWD. I haven't pulled the trigger on a tune yet because I can't put down power even now. Tires really should come first, but even then I can't change physics. I could make it super stiff to keep the tires on the ground, but then my commute would suffer.

The g8 offers a great suspension (FE2) and right-wheel-drive. Plus much more interior room for future Tom Jr's.... Plus baller status with the 20" camaro wheels. And drivetrain parts are cheap.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
I've been saying for years how worthless anything over Stage 1 is on these cars. They're so traction limited, it really is a waste. Stage 1 is doable. Anything more is stupid. Fail Wheel Drive...truth in wordplay.

The G8 is an outstanding choice in every way. If GTs could be had with manuals, I would have bought one by now. Got a link to this gem? I'm curious to see it.

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
I've been saying for years how worthless anything over Stage 1 is on these cars. They're so traction limited, it really is a waste. Stage 1 is doable. Anything more is stupid. Fail Wheel Drive...truth in wordplay.

The G8 is an outstanding choice in every way. If GTs could be had with manuals, I would have bought one by now. Got a link to this gem? I'm curious to see it.

Sure, here she is.

Its the awesome Spice Red Metallic color, has the premium and sport packages, and as you can see its got some mods already. CAI and exhaust (and tintz, yo) are easy to spot, but there could be a tune too. I'm sure it will sell for too much for me to actually buy it, but it looks super easy to fix. The engine/front clip looks pristine.

PetrolHead

Wow, this looks great! I'm surprised it's salvaged, looks like it's just a right front door, fender, and side airbags (maybe headliner) away from being a great driver. Not bad at all.

Here's hoping the bidding stays low! You need this.

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
I drive a stage 2 GTI regularly and can modulate the throttle with no issues at all... Maybe that's different with DSG trannies, but with MT I only have traction issues if I'm going WOT. Easy fix: don't go wot in 1st:D

I mean, we are talkin DD here and not drag racing, right?

Yes, but we are also talking only car. It's got to be a lot of things, and rwd it is not. Also, insert pushrod v8 noises here.

The g8 is a legitimate 5 series competitor in terms of handling and performance. Look up the old reviews, they are an incredible value

PetrolHead

My manual GTI couldn't put power down when cornering, even in 3rd gear with stage 1. Especially n in a DD environment, say you want to take an on-ramp quickly, wheel spin can kill what little fun you can muster.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Yes, but we are also talking only car. It's got to be a lot of things, and rwd it is not. Also, insert pushrod v8 noises here.

The g8 is a legitimate 5 series competitor in terms of handling and performance. Look up the old reviews, they are an incredible value
It's just a suped up bonneville though:laugh:

My manual GTI couldn't put power down when cornering, even in 3rd gear with stage 1. Especially n in a DD environment, say you want to take an on-ramp quickly, wheel spin can kill what little fun you can muster.
In third? What was your suspension? I mash the stage 2 in cornering situations with DG springs and Michelin pss in third and the only buzzkill I get is from random boost issues which I blame on the Uni tune.

Maybe I'm just so used to fwd and under steer that I unconsciously compensate in some ways.

I agree that AWD is waaaaay better though. I'd get a WRX before I got a g8.;)

PetrolHead

In third? What was your suspension? I mash the stage 2 in cornering situations with DG springs and Michelin pss in third and the only buzzkill I get is from random boost issues which I blame on the Uni tune.

Maybe I'm just so used to fwd and under steer that I unconsciously compensate in some ways.

Stock suspension and stock tires. I like to mod as little as possible.

I don't want to alter my driving style for an inferior drivetrain layout.

I agree that AWD is waaaaay better though. I'd get a WRX before I got a g8.;)

You cray.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I hope that is sarcasm/trolling?

Sort of, but not really. I'm just a euro snob and a hot-hatch snob. The only American car I'd consider is the ST but even then the interior makes me want to punch myself in the balls. In any case, of all the American auto makers Pontiac is probably my least favorite. Hated grand ams, vibes, firebirds, g6's, g8's and the like. The GTO is the only Pontiac I could ever consider.