GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are the benefits of a Catch Can?

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
Honestly, I don't really know much about diesels at all, and I haven't looked at one up close yet, so I'm not really sure, but I have a local friend with a new MK6 TDI actually, so I can try to take a look at it (maybe tonight if I wind up seeing her), and see what's possible. I'll report back!

saucer

Leadfoot
haha yeah I don't know much about them either!

not even sure if a can would be necessary... but I'll keep an ear out for any developments, thanks :)

quarantine

Ready to race!
Because Mary Sue, and John Doe don't want to understand what a catch can is or bother to drain one.

I hear what you're saying. Buts thats not really an excuse is it? I think there is more to it than that, draining one could be done effortlessly by the dealer during service intervals.

mylesw42

Ready to race!
I hear what you're saying. Buts thats not really an excuse is it? I think there is more to it than that, draining one could be done effortlessly by the dealer during service intervals.

I think it's almost impossible to schedule this service on regular intervals that are convenient for the consumer (not everybody adheres to these either!). The amount of blow-by gases varies depending on driving habits and weather (more accumulation in colder climates). The effects of a system blockage could be very harmful to the engine if the crankcase could not vent excess pressure.

Anyway, I think the majority of people that don't use a catch can solution that end up having engine problems will probably be 5+ years down the road and be looking to get a new car by then anyway. If not, they will pay for a shop to clean the valves and be on their way.

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
I think it's almost impossible to schedule this service on regular intervals that are convenient for the consumer (not everybody adheres to these either!). The amount of blow-by gases varies depending on driving habits and weather (more accumulation in colder climates). The effects of a system blockage could be very harmful to the engine if the crankcase could not vent excess pressure.

This is exactly it. The amount of fluid collected is greatly variable depending on numerous factors. If a tank isn't incorporated at all, the fluid is simply burned off with the leftover carbon buildup as a side effect, so that's easier for the less mechanically inclined to deal with than a variable service interval.

hobbes

Ready to race!
Mike,

So what exactly are the advantages of using your new PCV plate vs the stock PCV system? From my understanding, they'll both function in the same manner. Not trying to bust your product, I just wanna know more about it!

whalesalad

Ready to race!
I'm also interested in this product Mike, as well as the question hobbes has above. And of course, ballpark on price?? I'd go with yours anyway, assuming the price is good, because I keep my engine cover (akin to a plastic bag on a babys head) off and that big forge plate would make it look much prettier <3

jons

you could add a sensor of some kind to deal with the odd service times.

and there must also be some kind of solution to preventing the contents dumping back down the pipe. a one-way valve is engineered with this purpose in mind, i don't know which one exactly would work.

http://www.perrinperformance.com/products/show/56/Oil-Catch-Can-Overflow-Tank?category=4

an example of your market competition.

i really think it would be ideal to have the one-way valve (and to hell with the sensor idea). the people who will install this probably know what they're doing and will check their can. and if you add that valve, it reduces the work the PCV has to do, or any junk buildup there that would be caused by a poor installation or lackadasical service of the system.

Last edited:

jasunto

Ready to race!
2011 MK6 GTI here in Orlando if you need one for fitting or development.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
I'm planning on picking up a catch can... Until then I'll just keep giving my car "italian tune ups" once a week with monthly visits to the track... Doing that helps get the carbon off of the valves.

RedlineMotorworks

Go Kart Champion

vwca

Ok, since the other thread got closed I'll ask here - does Forge plan to make a version for Euro cars (with carbon filter)?

vwca

Ahhh... :D

Thanx for that link Mike. Joy was short-lived though, heheheh as I've gotta figure out mounting options for car with xenon lights :(