GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are the benefits of a Catch Can?

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
So I dealt with the cold northeast winter weekend and finally installed my Forge Motorsports Twincooler [Intercooler] kit. While disconnecting the stock hoses I came across my worst fear. For all of you CATCH CAN haters and non-believers out there, here’s another example why a catch can may help us out or at least catch some of this oil buildup. These pictures below show the oil build up after 5K miles on a 2011 MKVI. I know the next item on my list will be the -Forge Motorsports Transverse TSI Oil Catch Can- for sure! I used paper towels to clean the small pool of oil out and then stuffed it inside the hoses to get out as much of the oil coating as possible. Needless to say the paper towel was brown.

- DIY MKVI FORGE MOTORSPORTS TWINCOOLER [INTERCOOLER] KIT - DIY Pictorial-

seppieboy

Ready to race!
So I dealt with the cold northeast winter weekend and finally installed my Forge Motorsports Twincooler [Intercooler] kit. While disconnecting the stock hoses I came across my worst fear. For all of you CATCH CAN haters and non-believers out there, here’s another example why a catch can may help us out or at least catch some of this oil buildup. These pictures below show the oil build up after 5K miles on a 2011 MKVI. I know the next item on my list will be the -Forge Motorsports Transverse TSI Oil Catch Can- for sure! I used paper towels to clean the small pool of oil out and then stuffed it inside the hoses to get out as much of the oil coating as possible. Needless to say the paper towel was brown.

- DIY MKVI FORGE MOTORSPORTS TWINCOOLER [INTERCOOLER] KIT - DIY Pictorial-

i used this oil to lubricate the rubber tubes for my carbonio :p
can i just stick a breather filter there like the hondas do? hahaha the catch cans are expensive, will have to save up for it.

anyone here done seafoam cleaning? is it safe? :) ty

dsm1983

Go Kart Champion
Anyone catch this thread yet?

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148048

Kinda makes them seem like a waste of money imo. The catch can pics even have less miles than the non catch can pics...

This is key:
The concept of a catch can being mainly/solely for prevention of carbon build up is something that is completely exclusive to the D/I platforms. Traditional use has been always been completely different.

As the O/P is running a VTA system, regardless of what anyone wants to say, has almost 0 to do with the PCV system in which a catch can system compliments. The reduction in buildup shows the catch can aided in pro longing it for what its worth, but the real issue is within the design of the cylinder head itself.

The real place for a catch can on a performance minded turbo charged engine is to keep oil vapor out of your combustion chamber and out of your charge pipes/intercooler. The BT guys and highly pushed stock turbo guys will see this on the most major scale.

Thank, BSH for clarifying.

Halvie

WOOSA
So the key is I should buy their product to keep oil out of my fmic now...lol Why don't they stop saying it will reduce buildup then? It basically did NOTHING for buildup. The main reason people buy these.

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
well the guy on the mkv forum installed a catch can AFTER there was already a large amount of carbon build up already. I installed a catch can probably 3-4 weeks after I got the car so when I get my intake valves checked out, i'll let everyone know how it looks. There are a few other members on this forum that made sure to samck on a catch can before they do anything else

Halvie

WOOSA
well the guy on the mkv forum installed a catch can AFTER there was already a large amount of carbon build up already. I installed a catch can probably 3-4 weeks after I got the car so when I get my intake valves checked out, i'll let everyone know how it looks. There are a few other members on this forum that made sure to samck on a catch can before they do anything else

Might want to reread the thread. He had the valves cleaned at 50k, so there wasn't any buildup when he put the CC on.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Would using an engine oil with moly in it also help reduce the amount of carbon buildup? I saw this on Bob Is The Oil Guy and it got me thinking about that possibility.

(On the other hand, you'd have to make sure the dealer used moly-containing oil for your 3 years of free service or do it yourself and make sure the oil you're using is also VW spec, not to mention needing to put the moly oil in as early as possible to get the most benefit from doing that. :cool:)

EDIT: actually, I'm not sure if it'd help much. A catch can seems like it'd help more, no?

Hedgehodge

Passed Driver's Ed
This makes me want to ignore getting a catch can and just get my car chipped instead.... /sigh, I was hoping it would do way better.

Guess I'll save some money :D

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Finally got around to emptying my Forge Transverse Catch Can after having it installed in February of this year. After 6 months of driving this is what accumulated. I know there will still be some carbon build up inside of my engine but I'm so glad none of this stuff passed through my engine. I know it's part water / part oil / part whatever else but it has to play some role in keeping the engine cleaner. I also performed a Seafoam treatment on my car which had some neat results. I plan I doing the seafoam treatment every 10K miles, then Amsoil Euroblend oil every 5K and empyting this catch can as needed.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=341715#post341715

djmslash

Ready to race!
Finally got around to emptying my Forge Transverse Catch Can after having it installed in February of this year. After 6 months of driving this is what accumulated. I know there will still be some carbon build up inside of my engine but I'm so glad none of this stuff passed through my engine. I know it's part water / part oil / part whatever else but it has to play some role in keeping the engine cleaner. I also performed a Seafoam treatment on my car which had some neat results. I plan I doing the seafoam treatment every 10K miles, then Amsoil Euroblend oil every 5K and empyting this catch can as needed.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=341715#post341715

how well does the sea foam work??? i also have a oil catch can was told to empty it ever 5k miles is that right???