GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are the benefits of a Catch Can?

-J.M.G.-

Passed Driver's Ed
you can confirm that the Forge is the best product or are there other alternatives or something newer ?

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Honestly, in my opinion and for what I was looking for, Forge is hands down the best product. There are other companies that offer closed system catch cans or vent to atmosphere catch cans. I have seen first hand that the vent to air catch cans tend cover part of the engine bay in oil. Other closed system catch cans work but by re-using the OEM PCV system which may be prone to failure (lower accuracy of catching oil vapor).

The Forge system replaces the OEM PCV system which I consider to be a failure.
After taking my intercooler hoses apart when installing the Forge Twincooler, I found puddles of oil in the tubing. The OEM PCV system is supposed to prevent this. I recently pulled one of my hoses out and they are very clean! All of the oil vapor was collected in the catch can and emptied in the picture above.

If you want my advice, spend the extra money on the Forge kit, you won't be disappointed.

untangle

Ready to race!
On the other hand...

Don't ask me why, but I feel compelled to present a view that dissents with the majority here: I do not think that CC's are worth the time, effort, and money.

First, CC's do not prevent carbon buildup on your valves. They may slow that buildup (slightly IMO), but they will not halt it.

Second, the amount of oil that I discovered in my intercooler when I upgraded it was slight. Far too little to affect thermodynamic efficiency in my opinion.

Lastly, CC's are a nuisance. Numerous installation glitches have occurred. They are a potential source of leaks. And they are a pain to maintain. (I suspect that many owners regularly forget to empty them.)

So while I acknowledge that well-implemented units (like Mike's) perform their "intended use," for me the presumed benefits do not outweigh the costs.

I think that the money is better spent on a performance mod or a track day.

Bob

Don't ask me why, but I feel compelled to present a view that dissents with the majority here: I do not think that CC's are worth the time, effort, and money.

First, CC's do not prevent carbon buildup on your valves. They may slow that buildup (slightly IMO), but they will not halt it.

Second, the amount of oil that I discovered in my intercooler when I upgraded it was slight. Far too little to affect thermodynamic efficiency in my opinion.

Lastly, CC's are a nuisance. Numerous installation glitches have occurred. They are a potential source of leaks. And they are a pain to maintain. (I suspect that many owners regularly forget to empty them.)

So while I acknowledge that well-implemented units (like Mike's) perform their "intended use," for me the presumed benefits do not outweigh the costs.

I think that the money is better spent on a performance mod or a track day.

Bob

There is not one vendor that can prove that any catch can fixes the carbon issue. The minimal amount in the intake isn't the problem and doesn't need to be fixed. The carbon build up is mostly caused by weeping valve stem seals. No catch can will fix that issue. The only fix is coming in the new engine they are working on which has an additional injector ahead of the valves.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I agree, it's not going to remove carbon from lifters, I don't remember ever reading a company stating that. People here on the forums assumed that was a part of the marketing hype.

Some feel the amount going through the intake is minimal.

My picture above was over several months and most likely 5-6K miles.
No way that is minimal in my opinion after a few thousand miles.
I'm glad that didn't get circulated back into my intake tubing and through the turbo.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Noooo Bender! JK

Look were all going to stick firm on our opinions here and I technically agree with both sides. To be honest I'm a paranoid nut about my car (first turbo car). After pulling the intercooler hoses off before the catch can I had a heart attack at the oil that was in the tubing. My thought was oil in the tubing? Oil through the turbo? Oil in the intercooler core (oil coated core may retain heat more near an engine block than a core without oil).

Yea, these were the things that ran through my head. Not marketing hype, not me drooling over smart worded ads or product descriptions and definitely not the promise of keeping your lifters sparkly clean. If anyone thought CCs keep lifters clean I would make them eat the gunk I clean off of them when I tear my engine down at 50K miles.

Bender, to answer your question, that was emptied after 5,000-6,000 miles after installing the CC. My car only has 11K miles on it.

Heretic:GTI

Ready to race!
I agree with both sides. I know my catch can helps keep crap out of my engine, but I also realize it's not a cure.

I feel sorry for any person who forgets to empty their catch can... Lol.

Bender1

Banned
Noooo Bender! JK

Look were all going to stick firm on our opinions here and I technically agree with both sides.

I think this is a great way to put it. I certainly don't fault those that put one on, but for me, its not the best use of funds.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Right, some spend the cash on mods, some on preventative maintenance.

All in all, our project cars are what we want it to be. No one can argue with that.

We all need to confine our debates to threads like this and keep them off of threads that advertise products. You have companies that work hard to advertise their products to the general public who are actually interested in having this product on their cars and then some one from this type of thread chimes in and says "catch cans don't work" or "catch cans don't keep lifters clean even though I didn't really read the description and assume the company is telling people the lifters will be spotless" LOL!

Beliefs about CCs need to stay in this thread
Product advertisement and questions related to pricing, technical help, etc. need to be the only thing discussed on the manuafturer prodcut advertisement threads.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Just as an update for believers or non-believers, my car is on a lift at a shop now. Twincooler hoses were removed, not one drop of oil, the inside of the hoses are bone dry. As I said before, I installed the Forge Catch Can on my car to keep oil from building up in the intake tubing (intake / tubing / intercoolers).

So far so good, well worth getting this kit to see that the tubing is dry unlike when I took the stock hoses apart when installing the Twincooler and Catch can originally (oil all over).

-J.M.G.-

Passed Driver's Ed
At the end I decided to order the BSH competition oil catch ...

What do you advise me to do? I'll recircle it in the air intake or with a small filter into the atmosphere?

alchemis

i would like to ask what if my car comes with a charcoal canister... which is in the location of the pictured catch can ?