GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Repair Wire Question - Rear Fog

Eat_My_Shorts

Ready to race!
I'm about to purchase the Depo LED tails from the group buy and have a quick question.

I will need to wire the rear fog to be on the right side not the left due to UK requirements. I have looked at a few threads and found a maybe, but cant find a hell yes this will work. My question is....whats the worst that can happen? Blow a fuse, car catch on fire, short out the computer?

threads im looking at
http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47553
http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48822

this post to be exact
http://golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=914387&postcount=12

And when I run the trigger wire where will I need to plug it into to, will I also use pin 17?

I have tried to look at some of the british sites but because they all come with the rear fog I have not been able to get any help or answers. I tried to talk to my local VW and they dont want to touch it because its "not normal" and told me to wire a separate red light under the bumper and really cant see myself doing that.

Has been verified this works -
http://golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1065468&postcount=26

Last edited:

Eat_My_Shorts

Ready to race!
From what I'm reading....
A28 (Black Connector pin 28) is the left reverse light
C28 (Brown connector pin 28) is the right reverse light

A28 will stay where its at because I want the drivers side reverse light
Only thing I cant figure out is what is pin C47?
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4898893-LED-tail-Install-with-or-without-Rear-Fog

Will unplugging C47 and plugging C28 into cause a problem? Or is C47 what A17 connect to to turn on the rear fog? Just trying to work this all though my head and try not to burn up my car in the process.

ONLYNAVW

From what I'm reading....
A28 (Black Connector pin 28) is the left reverse light
C28 (Brown connector pin 28) is the right reverse light

A28 will stay where its at because I want the drivers side reverse light
Only thing I cant figure out is what is pin C47?
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4898893-LED-tail-Install-with-or-without-Rear-Fog

Will unplugging C47 and plugging C28 into cause a problem? Or is C47 what A17 connect to to turn on the rear fog? Just trying to work this all though my head and try not to burn up my car in the process.

Good luck bud I've been asking this same question for awhile now with no answer..

Eat_My_Shorts

Ready to race!
Well decided to reach out and talk to Dana ar Ross Tech and got the following response. Looks like we are on the way to a winning solution.

The NAR rear fog and LED retrofit is pretty straight forward, but I believe you will need to reverse the wiring as mentioned. The coding will depend on the installed BCM so please hold off on that until I review the mentioned scan.

Although I didn't receive any feedback, the guys at the VW Vortex had the wrong side rear fog on their Gti and we tinkered in the parking lot at Waterfest 2010 with coding alone:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-Fog.&p=69069492&highlight=Tom's#post69069492

I found that email in our archives and the summary I sent Tom with the NAR/LHD 2010 Gti and RHD LED tails was:

1) T52A (Black connector) Terminal 28 is a gray and white stripe wire
that was run to my Driver's side reverse light.

2) T52C (Brown connector) Terminal 28 is a black and blue stripe wire
that was run to my Passenger's side reverse light.

3) T52C (Brown connector) Terminal 47 is the rear fog power wire and
blue and green stripe wire. This was the Mystery wire that actually ends
up at the RF headlight.

In conclusion I had suggested he try swapping wire #2 (Black and Blue stripe) with wire # 3 (Blue and Green stripe) in conjunction with coding but I'll look at the diagrams when you send the scan for a refresher. The "Mystery Wire" was sorted and that is used for the right front DRL on halogen and right front LED DRL cars as explained by whitehatch:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...&p=75391073&highlight=whitehatch#post75391073

Eat_My_Shorts

Ready to race!
Well good news, did just like what was mentioned from Dana switched 28 and 47 on the brown connector and I can control the right side fog/reverse light via switch inside.

Just need to look at coding, my left side reverse light is now always on.....hmmmmm

ONLYNAVW

Well good news, did just like what was mentioned from Dana switched 28 and 47 on the brown connector and I can control the right side fog/reverse light via switch inside.

Just need to look at coding, my left side reverse light is now always on.....hmmmmm

Keep up the good work and let me know when you figure it out!!! I just ran an external fog light from my left fog temp. so I could pass the MOT test.

Vwfreak1

Go Kart Champion
Don't attempt this, just discovered my right side DRL are not working. We are thinking that I have my right DRL plugged into my left reverse light. Will update this thread as we make progress.

Tranfer your DRL to the fog light using VAG COM, or simply disable them, Europe doesnt require DRL, unless things changed in recent months... Try to see, it's worth a shot.

Actually now that I think of it, I think it's illegal in UK to drive with fog lights when not foggy...

So just disable them, then check if all the lights work correctly.

Eat_My_Shorts

Ready to race!
Tranfer your DRL to the fog light using VAG COM, or simply disable them, Europe doesnt require DRL, unless things changed in recent months... Try to see, it's worth a shot.

Actually now that I think of it, I think it's illegal in UK to drive with fog lights when not foggy...

So just disable them, then check if all the lights work correctly.

Tried to disable them....thing is the LEDs turn on as soon as I turn on my headlights. Also not 100% sure but I think we need a white light that is not the headlight to shine on the front of the car.

I have came to the conclusion that there is something wrong with the wiring. With the DRL disabled the reverse light does not come on when I place the car in gear. I turn on the lights and the reverse light turns on, turn the DRL back on and as soon as I put the car into gear the reverse light turns on.

My thought is the right side DRL is feeding the power to the reverse light. Now to figure out how to fix it. Other issue im having is when I turn on my rear fog I dont get a bulb out error. Turn off the rear fog and rear and I get a bulb out error.

I'm getting close, pretty sure with the help of Dana from ross tech we will get this figured out very soon.

GTI Ichiban

Passed Driver's Ed
I figured out the wiring, but I left it at work. I'll have it up tomorrow. It's been confirmed with a US Golf R here in the UK...

GTI Ichiban

Passed Driver's Ed
Wire Pin 7 from headlight switch to T52-A17 (brown connector)
Repair wire from pin 3 of headlight switch to T52-A19(brown)
Follow this sequence:

T52C-47 TO T52C-28
T52A-28 TO T52C-28
T52C-28 TO T52C-47

Make sure that you code byte 18 to 04 ROW (rest of world.)
This is currently based off of my memory of looking at the schematics today. I'll confirm it once I get to work tomorrow. When I installed my rear fog (left side and my car is MOT exempt until 2015) my DRL's wouldn't work properly without the second trigger wire. Do you have two trigger wires installed????

Last edited:

Eat_My_Shorts

Ready to race!
Wire Pin 7 from headlight switch to T52-A17 (brown connector)
Repair wire from pin 3 of headlight switch to T52-A19(brown)
Follow this sequence:

T52A-47 TO T52C-28
T52A-28 TO T52C-28
T52C-28 TO T52C-47

Make sure that you code byte 18 to 04 ROW (rest of world.)
This is currently based off of my memory of looking at the schematics today. I'll confirm it once I get to work tomorrow. When I installed my rear fog (left side and my car is MOT exempt until 2015) my DRL's wouldn't work properly without the second trigger wire.

Only thing I noticed is you have 2 wires going to T52C-28.

While being MOT exempt we are not SVA exempt and it has the same requirement that the rear fog is on the right side.

I do have my right side fog working by switching T52C-28 and T52C-47, only problem im having is my LEDs on the right side headlight are now out and my left side reverse light is stuck on (we think the reverse light is getting a feed from the right LEDs)

Waiting for a response from Dana at ross-tech to see what she might suggest.