GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust Valance -- plasti dip done!!!

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Well, even with permanent gloss enamel, I don't think it's permanent because the base coat is still Plasti dip and can be peeled off.

That may very well be true. If so, just do it! I bet it looks as good on CW as it does on CSG! :D

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I just need time..... I took off a week late this month so I might do it then.

pengee

Passed Driver's Ed
Just did this today. No plasti-dip locally but I didn't really care about it being temporary so I did paint / clear coat. Looks way better and I will be doing the side skirts next. Sorry for the cell phone pics but I recommend this to anyone.

mark986

Ready to race!
Hmm might have to do this... Looks good on the CW which I have.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Just did this today. No plasti-dip locally but I didn't really care about it being temporary so I did paint / clear coat. Looks way better and I will be doing the side skirts next. Sorry for the cell phone pics but I recommend this to anyone.

What paint/clear coat did you use and how many coats of each?

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Friggin awesome. Yeah, I actually wish I would have just painted the damn thing instead of plasti dip, but since no one had done it I wanted the option of removal in case it looked horrendous. Which is ludicrous because hardly anything can make the sex of the GTI go away.

Glad someone else took the plunge! Clear makes it look amazing. FTW!

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
My worry is if it starts to peel in that area due to flex, or other things with regular paint and not plasti dip.

P

plac

that black paint does look pretty good. but i fear removing all my splash guards that are perfectly installed, as they may never fit that good again.

pengee

Passed Driver's Ed
What paint/clear coat did you use and how many coats of each?

My worry is if it starts to peel in that area due to flex, or other things with regular paint and not plasti dip.

I had the gloss black mixed locally. I wasn't planning to do clear but it came out looking more semi-gloss to me and I had some dupli-color clear laying around. I did 5 coats of black and two clear.

I wouldn't worry about it peeling or cracking. If you have the paint mixed they can put in a chemical that will allow the paint to flex and you can spray on an adhesion promoter. Alternately, you can buy paint for plastics which will do the same thing. I've use Valspar before and been pretty happy with it.

Also, the rear diffuser is pretty solid and the paint seemed to bond pretty well. I used paint mixed the same way and the same clean / prep technique on my front grill surround which was extremely flexible and had no issues with it.

It also withstood a 65mph duck impact, no cracking.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
that black paint does look pretty good. but i fear removing all my splash guards that are perfectly installed, as they may never fit that good again.

I know my way around a car, and I had no problems with that. After reading your 48 page thread, clearly you are more inclined than I. It will he a non issue for you for sure. :thumbup:

Banshee1

Go Kart Champion
Good place for plasti dip glossifier, and tips on how to use it well: dipyourcar.com. Watch his videos, they really helped me on making it look better.

Also get a spray handle from home depot, makes spraying it so much easier.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
How's this holding up?

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
How's this holding up?

Perfectly. Several washes and tons of rain with no problems. Even had some 70 degree weather. I need to find time to do front flaps and the sides as well.

2010GTi Carbon

Ready to race!

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
I bought my plasti dip, black paint and clear. Now to decide if I just want to plasti dip and clear or paint. Thinking the first.....