GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust Valance -- plasti dip done!!!

trigger_storey

Ready to race!
I like it. I think It looks good. Can't really tell from the pics but I've used it before so I can imagine that it turned out well. I agree that the side skirt moldings might need to be done though to get the look complete. Since they are 3m taped maybe you could just tape off and plasti dip them on the car. I might do this as soon as it warms up and I'm home. Might be a spring garage project. BTW how much did you pay for your exhaust to get welded up?

Last edited:

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
I like it. I think It looks good. Can't really tell from the pics but I've used it before so I can imagine that it turned out well. I agree that the side skirt moldings might need to be done though to get the look complete. Since they are 3m taped maybe you could just tape off and plasti dip them on the car. I might do this as soon as it warms up and I'm home. Might be a spring garage project. BTW how much did you pay for your exhaust to get welded up?

Exhaust was right around $200. Can drone a bit on idle, but overall its not bad. Sometimes wish I would have gone with a quieter muffler than what I have buy at WOT it sounds great.

The skirts an front flaps will get done soon as well.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Finally painted my valence. Cell phone pics sorry for the quality. Will take some with my SLR tomorrow.

4-5 coats of Plasti Dip, and 2 coats of clear. I also did the sides which were very easy to remove. There is no double sided tape like someone mentioned on those. 3 screws, and slide it towards the front of the car and it comes off.

I spent all day buffing the car, painting those items and cleaning the engine and interior. Tomorrow I will do the finishing touches like wheels, wheel wells, shampoo carpets and as well as doing a little more painting under the hood. Getting it ready for Wasser Wagens on the 24th. :)

P

plac

good work.. hmm i thought there was tape, cuz there is one section of my side panel that doesnt sit fully flush against the paint. hmm... Can you get like new clips which might be tighter to body? Since you seen what it looks like?

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
good work.. hmm i thought there was tape, cuz there is one section of my side panel that doesnt sit fully flush against the paint. hmm... Can you get like new clips which might be tighter to body? Since you seen what it looks like?

There are no clips. It's actually screws into the body that stick out. And you slide this on and it tightens onto them. Then you put the 3 screws in.

Kinda like how a picture on a wall is mounted with the O------- You have a hole, that screw head sticks into the O, and it slides down the shaft and tightens itself on. There are at least 6-8 of them on each side that you have to line up.

Hope that explains it better. If not, I can maybe take one of mine off again tomorrow and take some pics.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Yep, now that I know the sides cone off with no tape, I'm definitely doing this first chance I get.

Thanks for the pics and info! Looks great. Get those high res ones up soon!

P

plac

There are no clips. It's actually screws into the body that stick out. And you slide this on and it tightens onto them. Then you put the 3 screws in.

Kinda like how a picture on a wall is mounted with the O------- You have a hole, that screw head sticks into the O, and it slides down the shaft and tightens itself on. There are at least 6-8 of them on each side that you have to line up.

Hope that explains it better. If not, I can maybe take one of mine off again tomorrow and take some pics.

naw i got it. and now that my mud flaps are gone... i may think about this a bit stronger..

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Here you go. SLR pics the best I could do due to lighting and the color of the Valence. Excuse the wheel gap in the back....due to the way my driveway slants, that tire drops down a bit on that side when it's parked where it is. That is not the normal gap. LOL! Lots of detail pics!!!

P

plac

damn.. that looks really good. so what did you finally use, plasti or paint?

I'm sure it will look good when its fresh. I'm worried about how it might wash and clean after a years use.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Plasti Dip for the base. 4-5 coats of it. Then two coats of clear over it. Per what I read online, I can still peel it off by doing it this way, and it will still be black. Also easily repairable. Just cut away the area of plastic dip that gets damaged, spray a few coats of plasti dip again, which will fill in that area, and spray the clear again.

Easily to redo after time. Spray plasti dip over it again a few coats the whole thing and clear it again. :) My emblem on the front has been that way for a year, and so far still looks like the day I did it. And I never did any clear on it, just plasti dip.

P

plac

Plasti Dip for the base. 4-5 coats of it. Then two coats of clear over it. Per what I read online, I can still peel it off by doing it this way, and it will still be black. Also easily repairable. Just cut away the area of plastic dip that gets damaged, spray a few coats of plasti dip again, which will fill in that area, and spray the clear again.

Easily to redo after time. Spray plasti dip over it again a few coats the whole thing and clear it again. :) My emblem on the front has been that way for a year, and so far still looks like the day I did it. And I never did any clear on it, just plasti dip.

i found my plasti-dip spray splattered.. it was hard to do right. i think i would find normal spray paint easier.. unless it would run or something.. my plastic dip attempts were always chunky.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
i found my plasti-dip spray splattered.. it was hard to do right. i think i would find normal spray paint easier.. unless it would run or something.. my plastic dip attempts were always chunky.

Mine didn't splatter at all. Very smooth spraying. When the can gets low, then it does start to splatter.

See this video.

http://youtu.be/otCtkVePX_0

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
ahh i know why... i was spraying on my aluminum brackets.. metal is real hard to spray on.

Not sure why that would make a difference. Metal/plastic/chrome all require the same technique. The other thing too you need to keep the can vertical as much as possible.