GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jeep guy --> GTI guy

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Yeah my fiancee and her mother are trying to get me to think about a generic 4 door fuel sipping car and I'm just like "but I want something sporty and that I can make my own!" but they're super against it. They would rather have my keep my gas chugging Wrangler rather than be in a sportier, more fuel efficient, 4 door car. Why that makes any sense to them is mind blowing. I can save over $150 a month between the lower fuel costs and lower monthly payments. Why they can't just agree and let me live with my own decision is beyond me.

I wonder what they say if youre considering a tiguan, which has a gti engine, worse fuel economy due to side and ride height, and 0-60 in 8 seconds

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
I thought the GLI had a step up from the standard Jetta's? Maybe I am wrong.

Since my wife had a 12 Jetta, I will agree that the materials are a far cry from the excellent fit and materials found in the GTI. However, my GTI rattled oodles more than the Jetta did. In fact, I don't remember the Jetta rattling at all. But every time I got into it I always marveled how cheap it felt. Mid 90s domestic cars had a more luxurious feel to them. :laugh:

Yeah it does feel a bit better than standard Jettas, but it basically seems like they just put some nicer touches on a cheaply made car. In comparison, the GTI feels like a completely different car than a standard Golf. Don't take my word for it, go try them out for yourself. Standard Jetta/GLI and Standard Golf/GTI.

The biggest thing that set it for me was when I had a 2012 Jetta 2.5 SE loaner when my 2010 (MkV) Jetta TDI was in for service. The new Jetta car felt like they put it together with cardboard compared to how tight my MkV felt.

The only reason they have seen higher sales in my opinion is because they have won over many people from other brands because they lowered the cost of the car. In order to make money, they had to lower the cost of parts and assembly as well, and it shows. Winning over people from another brand is all well and good and also good for business it seems. But its now cost them the quality of that particular model in my humble opinion. That's all I'm saying.

Kenny-g

Ready to race!
Like I mentioned, I don't hate the GLI Jetta and was trying to gauge my fiancees interest in that over the GTI and she just kept saying shit like "What about the Fiestas? Or Mazda3s? Or Dodge Darts? Or Subaru Foresters?" I'm just like dude wtf why does it have to be something you like?!

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Sounds like she may have had a bad experience with VW or another German made car.

Kenny-g

Ready to race!
PS; is there such a thing as a non turbo GTI VR6 with a 2.9L V6 in it? My friend has a MK4 and swears up and down that it's a euro spec GTI but I've never heard of a non turbo GTI.

Kenny-g

Ready to race!
Sounds like she may have had a bad experience with VW or another German made car.

Lol Kaity (my fiancee) has no clue about cars other than the fact that she hates wagons and hatchbacks. My soon to be mother in law is just opposed to me getting another vehicle since I've only had my Jeep for 16 months. She asked me "if you got a car would it be 'the one' and you would not trade it in on anything else again?" I couldn't say yes without lying. I avoided the question hahaha

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Yes the MkIVs came with a 1.8T with 150hp or 12v VR6 with 180hp in the earlier ones then the 1.8T went to 180hp and the VR6 became a 24v and got 200hp. I believe this was 2002+. Also the VR6s were a 2.8L not 2.9L.

I've changed a lot of cars since I got married. It annoyes my wife but frankly she has liked almost all the cars we've owned since we got married. She likes my MkVI GTI.

Maybe if your Fiancee drove a GTI, she might think differently. Just trying to help.

Kenny-g

Ready to race!
Yeah once we're married and back here in town I'll try to find one around within a few hour drive and both of us test drive it. See if she likes it. I don't see why she wouldn't but she's being a PITA about it so whatever hahaha

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Lol Kaity (my fiancee) has no clue about cars other than the fact that she hates wagons and hatchbacks. My soon to be mother in law is just opposed to me getting another vehicle since I've only had my Jeep for 16 months. She asked me "if you got a car would it be 'the one' and you would not trade it in on anything else again?" I couldn't say yes without lying. I avoided the question hahaha

I knew it was the hate hatchbacks, funny thing is people compliment my car and yet responds dont like hatches when sometimes i ask why dont u drive one

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Yeah it does feel a bit better than standard Jettas, but it basically seems like they just put some nicer touches on a cheaply made car. In comparison, the GTI feels like a completely different car than a standard Golf. Don't take my word for it, go try them out for yourself. Standard Jetta/GLI and Standard Golf/GTI.

The biggest thing that set it for me was when I had a 2012 Jetta 2.5 SE loaner when my 2010 (MkV) Jetta TDI was in for service. The new Jetta car felt like they put it together with cardboard compared to how tight my MkV felt.

The only reason they have seen higher sales in my opinion is because they have won over many people from other brands because they lowered the cost of the car. In order to make money, they had to lower the cost of parts and assembly as well, and it shows. Winning over people from another brand is all well and good and also good for business it seems. But its now cost them the quality of that particular model in my humble opinion. That's all I'm saying.

The only car I have no experience with is a GLI. So it makes sense I have no idea about it.

Yeah, agreed on the sales. Wonder if all the people they won over with a cheap car are going to never go back to the brand after they get rid of their Jetta because of how cheap they are.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
The only car I have no experience with is a GLI. So it makes sense I have no idea about it.

Yeah, agreed on the sales. Wonder if all the people they won over with a cheap car are going to never go back to the brand after they get rid of their Jetta because of how cheap they are.

My thoughts exactly...

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Yes the MkIVs came with a 1.8T with 150hp or 12v VR6 with 180hp in the earlier ones then the 1.8T went to 180hp and the VR6 became a 24v and got 200hp. I believe this was 2002+. Also the VR6s were a 2.8L not 2.9L.

I've changed a lot of cars since I got married. It annoyes my wife but frankly she has liked almost all the cars we've owned since we got married. She likes my MkVI GTI.

Maybe if your Fiancee drove a GTI, she might think differently. Just trying to help.

I believe 2000-2003 1.8t 150 hp vr6 180 hp / 2004-2005 1.8t 180 hp. 2003 337 editions were also 1.8t 180 hp

Kenny-g

Ready to race!
Yeah I'm just trying to find 'the right one' and pray it doesn't sell by mid September lol like that'd ever happen :lol:

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I'm just trying to find 'the right one' and pray it doesn't sell by mid September lol like that'd ever happen :lol:

THIS IS MY FEAR.

Kenny-g

Ready to race!
Lol I've found like 6 that I've saved on Autotrader so we'll see if any are still available around late September.

I'm also going to keep my ears open for year end sales and stuff. If it's suspected that I could get a nice 2014/2015 in November/December for cheap as fuck then I might hold off for that.